ADVERTISEMENT

The staff can't recruit

Part of recruiting is understanding the players and where they fit on your roster. That means understanding their work ethic, basketball iq, personality. It’s not always about the stat sheet or stars, that only tells part of the story.

I remember during one of Menzies recruiting classes he was touting a big 6’7 guy that on paper and on the stat sheet was blowing away his opponents. Then you go on YouTube and he’s playing a bunch of slow 5’8 shrimpy white dudes. Then you go oh ok, just another development project.

Not to beat a dead horse but the Boone twins were we’re all hype and posed a lot of problems for this team in the early goings. I’m partially surprised Junior didn’t give them both the boot given that they were disruptive on and off the court.

Again, Junior is looking for someone that fits with the group already in place. Feels like he’s content to rely on DJ, Whaley, and possibly Hicks.
That’s why hype is just hype. I thought they were incredibly inconsistent and problematic for team chemistry.

This is why I'm pessimistic about the players we have coming in. In his highlights, 'Bear' battled centers who might have topped out at 6'5". Other players have highlights against defenders who are more interested in watching the player finish than staying in front of their man.

I would love to be wrong...

I will say that one (potential) portal transfer does bring me some hope.

This is why I'm pessimistic about the players we have coming in. In his highlights, 'Bear' battled centers who might have topped out at 6'5". Other players have highlights against defenders who are more interested in watching the player finish than staying in front of their man.

Let’s hope he’s not another Cottrell!

I heard Cooper, will know very soon if thats happening or not? I do know what's coming in and who's returning, it's not NCAA or NIT team.

Unless he's recruited to his offense scheme, in big trouble, i just dont see enough guys who can create for themselves or for others.

How dare you not go all in and believe them to be the next coming. If we sign them, they are destined for greatness, so is the team, because, after all, they are wearing the letters UNLV across their chest and it’s our God given right to be amongst the giants.

Everyone is amazing, just look at the highlight films and if Concord State is our biggest competition, it’s because others fell asleep and are missing a diamond in the rough.

A D2 stud is equivalent to a JC stud is equivalent to an all ACC player.

If the stars are few, pay no attention … just look at vids of Dantley being the all Nevada scoring champ putting up 59 points against Ely High and Battle Mountain Prep.

You’re such a hater.

I just rewatched that Jaylon 4 star big man hype video on his driveway with some sweet moves. I’m shocked, absolutely shocked I tell you, that he never made an impact anywhere after the way he was lauded here. You’d think he’d average more than 4 points and 4 rebounds in his Riverside career. Something must have happened along the way. No way his videos, rankings and the Rebel Net hype could be wrong.

When I saw him in HS, the biggest person in the gym - coming off the bench and barely playing for a mediocre HS … he had star written all across him.

The staff... Pharoah was supposedly a lock to come play with DTJ and I think it was posted the staff dropped the ball and SDSU came with the NIL $. Jefferson was also a "lock" and that fizzled

Reactions: LVRebel2000
The staff... Pharoah was supposedly a lock to come play with DTJ and I think it was posted the staff dropped the ball and SDSU came with the NIL $. Jefferson was also a "lock" and that fizzled
Bad bunch of fireworks we were sold. As of now. Hope it changes

I just rewatched that Jaylon 4 star big man hype video on his driveway with some sweet moves. I’m shocked, absolutely shocked I tell you, that he never made an impact anywhere after the way he was lauded here. You’d think he’d average more than 4 points and 4 rebounds in his Riverside career. Something must have happened along the way. No way his videos, rankings and the Rebel Net hype could be wrong.

When I saw him in HS, the biggest person in the gym - coming off the bench and barely playing for a mediocre HS … he had star written all across him.
A big contribution to his 4/4 average was a double-double against a team who was playing a Dantley Walker equivalent at center. I still remember hearing a certain UNLV fan who hyped every single player we were ever in on saying he was a legit 4-star. I won't out this person (it's not our favorite woman from Twitter), but it's not someone who is on here anymore.

Hint: he threw a lot of (beep) against the wall to see if it stuck and may still do that but I have him blocked on Twitter.

happy fuck yeah GIF

A big contribution to his 4/4 average was a double-double against a team who was playing a Dantley Walker equivalent at center. I still remember hearing a certain UNLV fan who hyped every single player we were ever in on saying he was a legit 4-star. I won't out this person (it's not our favorite woman from Twitter), but it's not someone who is on here anymore.

Hint: he threw a lot of (beep) against the wall to see if it stuck and may still do that but I have him blocked on Twitter.
I think I know who you are probably talking about. All Pom poms, all the time, it’s not possible that UNLV can make a single mistake and to prove it, these are all the studs we are looking at and will get, until we don’t. And we weren’t looking at half of those names at all, but they were highly rated so throws it out there, the person is fueled by loves and likes and follows … which explains the bs they put out there, they want to be the Good News Bear by blowing smoke your ass and hoping they get virtual hugs in exchange.

When the MO of your entire existence is the pursuit of online clout, it’s as cringe as it gets.

Hahahaha. Pharoah was NOT a lock at all…not even close. The staff has been underwhelming but there was not much they could have done to sway him to UNLV (maybe getting a Time Machine). Some kids don’t want to stay in Las Vegas.

No idea what happened to Jefferson, other than more money.

Did we get that guard from Oral Roberts? If so that would be a good pick up. 14ppg and 38% from 3. I think that is what most of us had in mind. That would fill out the roster well if true. We just need a Dedan backup.

Did we get that guard from Oral Roberts? If so that would be a good pick up. 14ppg and 38% from 3. I think that is what most of us had in mind. That would fill out the roster well if true. We just need a Dedan backup.

Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
Strangely Keyshawn Hall's name is still floating around as him being in the portal but I dont see him listed as a top available players and he certainly should be. He is one who got away that still stings!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT