ADVERTISEMENT

The last roster spot has been filled

The only one who really came close was Tolbert. Staff thought it was a done deal (as I recall he gave a verbal committment) and Mark Warkentien was waiting for the faxed LOI to come in. When it didn’t come in and they learned the next day he committed to Arizona, Jerry said they must have swopped in at midnight and stole him.

Brian Williams was never coming to UNLV. Othick was under consideration after getting out of his LOI with New Mexico. Jerry had already promised the staring PG spot to Greg. He tried selling Othick on being a super six man behind Greg and Anderson, but when Lute promised him an opportunity to be their starting PG he committed there.

The only one who really came close was Tolbert. Staff thought it was a done deal (as I recall he gave a verbal committment) and Mark Warkentien was waiting for the faxed LOI to come in. When it didn’t come in and they learned the next day he committed to Arizona, Jerry said they must have swopped in at midnight and stole him.

Brian Williams was never coming to UNLV. Othick was under consideration after getting out of his LOI with New Mexico. Jerry had already promised the staring PG spot to Greg. He tried selling Othick on being a super six man behind Greg and Anderson, but when Lute promised him an opportunity to be their starting PG he committed there.
Can anyone get an interview with Matt Othick.

He must be hitting himself in the head

Can anyone get an interview with Matt Othick.

He must be hitting himself in the head
Nah, not really. He wasn’t going to come close to beating out Greg and he knew it. And he wasn’t going to be a backup to him when he could have played ample minutes for a top 25, as he did.

Look at some of our large talent gaps between starting PG and backup PG. Greg to Cvijanovich? Though H was a decent backup, but he was a freshman when Greg was a senior.

Tolbert is awesome, guy tells great stories on his Radio show and when hes interviewed. Im pretty sure Ive heard him talk about almost going to UNLV.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I'll give Lute credit for playing us when UCLA always ducked us at our height. They were legendary games. But yeah, he was a dick stealing players from us. Othick would've been behind Greg but he would've been great to have against Duke.
Good call. Othick would have filled the void when Greg was forcibly removed by David Berst… er, fouled out.

The last commitment is still happening. When I say that a commitment is official, it doesnt mean that they will announce right away. Theres a lot of reasons why these things take time. Each person has a reason as to why they announce when they do.

Its like how DJ committed and told his friends a month before it went public, then told the staff 2 weeks after, then went public on Mothers day.

The last commitment is still happening. When I say that a commitment is official, it doesnt mean that they will announce right away. Theres a lot of reasons why these things take time. Each person has a reason as to why they announce when they do.

Its like how DJ committed and told his friends a month before it went public, then told the staff 2 weeks after, then went public on Mothers day.
IIRC, Stephen Zimmerman committed and signed a week before it was publicly announced.

It appears this is not the commit
It appears to be the case. I do think we speculated on this a little because the ID of the player was never officially disclosed. The only other player who is uncommitted out west that I can think of would be 6'11" Bron Roberts out of Orem Utah. It was thought that he was headed to BYU or his mission. Maybe Coach Peery is connected to the kid. i have no clue.

Well, given what info we have (4 star, 2023, available) Jazz Gardner is the only big that fits that bill...I don't think @lobbybuu said it was a big, but AJ Cerio did. I think all Lobby said was 'Skywalker' which doesn't mean big, just means a leaper.

Looking at the 4 stars who are uncomitted right now that leaves you with (position as listed by each service) who aren't Jazz Gardner:

247:

Simeon Wilcher - Combo Guard - (listed as committed to SJU on ON3)

ON3:

Chris Johson - PointGuard - (listed as committed to Kansas on 247, Rivals)

ESPN:

Simeon Wilcher - Combo Guard - (Listed as committed to SJU on ON3)

Dink Pate - Small Forward - (Listed as G-league contract on both 247 and ON3)

Chris Johnson - Shooting Guard - (listed as commit to Kansas on 247)

AJ Johnson - Point Guard - (Listed as NBL Contract on 247 and ON3)

Rivals:

Simeon Wilcher - Point Guard - (listed as committed to SJU on ON3)

Dink Pate - Shooting Guard - (Listed as G-League Contract on 247 and ON3)

Unless we're poaching someone else's verbal doesn't seem likely it's any of these guys either.

Last edited:
Looks like his history on 247 shows he was at on point last year. So I’ll hang on to that dream. I like him. Seems like a nice multi year player. At the end of the day who really knows other than those that do haha. This player has to go public at some point soon.

That was on a different thread. He said a 4star was taking a visit but I don't believe he ever said that player was the one to commit.

I don't think it was a reclass. I believe a 2023 high school that had not signed yet.
I think your on to something he did decommit from DePaul. In his write up on 247 does say he likes lob passes
That's about the only player who makes sense. Unless it's somebody we've never heard of, but then they wouldn't be a four star. In addition, he has been radio silent since decommitting from DePaul.

Reactions: Rebelhustle
Maybe it’s Babacar Mbengue?
He's another 3 star guy, ESPN had him as a 4 star very briefly in 2022 but in every service he's consistently been a 3 star guy for nearly all this recruiting year. I'm just trying to use the clues that were in place. There are lots of high 3 star players left, but why say 4 star if he was a 3 star?

From 247:
He's another 3 star guy, ESPN had him as a 4 star very briefly in 2022 but in every service he's consistently been a 3 star guy for nearly all this recruiting year. I'm just trying to use the clues that were in place. There are lots of high 3 star players left, but why say 4 star if he was a 3 star?
He did not say 4 star on the 2023 recruit, but he did say 4 star 2024 recruit visiting on a different post. Mixing the post up

Mbengue is an athletic and mobile big. He has good size and a solid frame that is well defined as it continues to fill-out. He runs and moves fluidly for his size and gets off his feet well. He impacts the game by being a shot-blocker, emphatic finisher, and consistent lob threat. He’s an active offensive rebounder, but needs to find a better balance between protecting the rim and still finishing defensive possessions on the glass. He's a very limited scoring threat away from the rim. His hands are a little questionable and can appear hard at times. He shows flashes of being able to turn both shoulders in the post, but only in very close proximity to the rim. He’s not without a bit of touch to develop, but drastically short-arms his release, really struggles to make free-throws, and even draws fouls at a low rate. Overall, he has legit size and the ability to change the game at both rims, but needs to keep developing the areas in-between.
From 247 and Adam Finkelstein
Notice lob threat and gets off his feet well!

Reactions: TimothyC3

From 247:
He did not say 4 star on the 2023 recruit, but he did say 4 star 2024 recruit visiting on a different post. Mixing the post up

I don't think I am. The time stop and the reply seem to indicate I'm not.

Edit: For further context we can look at @lobbybuu's post to start this thread:

Someone has been on campus since Tuesday and they left this morning. Committed on Wednesday night

June 7th was a Wednesday, when the recruit in question was on campus. And he didn't say 'corrections it's also a 3 star guy'

Last edited:

I don't think I am. The time stop and the reply seem to indicate I'm not.

Edit: For further context we can look at @lobbybuu's post to start this thread:

June 7th was a Wednesday, when the recruit in question was on campus.
Okay but 2024 recruit would be next year not this year. The post title is "last roster spot filled" which would be 2023. Maybe @lobbybu mixed up the year 2023 and 2024 up or there was 2 recruits visiting

Okay but 2024 recruit would be next year not this year. The post title is "last roster spot filled" which would be 2023. Maybe @lobbybu mixed up the year 2023 and 2024 up or there was 2 recruits visiting
I see the correction 2023 now on the twitter post. I'm guessing it is still Babacar even though he is a 3 star now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT