ADVERTISEMENT

Some things....

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
This will be kind of all over the place, sorry for that. As you can imagine, just like every year, this is when you start really hearing things. I'm sorry I cannot get super detailed and these are some things that I've heard as a strong consensus.

What I've heard: Gonzaga is definitely done, just a matter of when they announce it. Only hold up is next season or the season after.

What I've heard: The BYU thing is still not completely resolved. In the end, I think it will happen, but BYU won't let football join the conference.

What I've heard: A third addition was hopeful for the conference, a strong addition.... that's probably not going to happen right now. It still CAN, but it's not looking as strong as it once was.

What I've heard: If DRF had the money, this would be it.

What I've heard: Nobody knows what DRF has or doesn't have, it's kept close to the vest. But, and this ends up getting loaded with some other stuff below.... if you are thinking four years, then you are hoping for a magical season.

What I've heard loud and clear: A whole lot of hate. Not disagreement, not dislike, but downright hate. There are ALOT of fans that aren't happy UNLV won today. They want it over and done with, it's going to get very toxic. Now, I don't want to get into the semantics of good fan/bad fan, good booster/bad booster. The situation is what it is in spite of that, the details of that don't really matter. If UNLV loses tomorrow, MM isn't out, but expect the same old, same old from the fans/boosters. Think of it this way... Bayno year 3 or 4, Rice year 4, Kruger's last year, the end of Spoon's career here.... there are a lot of fans that a coach will never, ever win back, their mind is made up.... Those that think the schedule and spin don't matter, you all know very well I didn't like it, but it's a source of offense for many fans. It backfired. I thought it would and I'll be damned if I didn't get things saying what Matt's picture said, but way more nasty.

What I heard: Expect some late, aggressive recruiting for experienced players. MM is not unaware of a hotseat.

What I heard: It's clear everyone is well aware of DRF's intentions. She wants to land some place better, obviously, the P12. She can only get there one way and MM isn't her guy... so it's easy to see that angle. I don't think this is an earth shattering discovery, it's common sense. So I do think she's eager to make a move, but she has to be extremely careful too. And that's where capital comes in and everyone is in the dark with that. I just know that the clowns that I've been pissy about are not a major piece of any equation moving forward, so that's good. But all this stuff isn't even mum, it's unknown. The whos and how muches.

This part is my opinion only. Because we've been through these types of situations before. I'm already dreading the time between our next loss, whenever that is, until opening kickoff. I can't control it, the past is a good indicator, it's going to be a civil war here. One thing to note. If anything, this board has served well as a barometer to how people eventually feel by a few weeks. If we are pissy here, it gets pissy out there, if we are very excited early here, they get excited a couple weeks in. But I'm tired already just thinking of what it's going to be like over the summer...

Again, my opinion only, based on what I've heard, the way I've seen things at UNLV operate in the past. But things CAN definitely be different because we have an AD with her own experience and her own people. That being said, these are some things to traditionally look for....

.... a lack of an immediate vote of confidence starts any clock. An immediate vote of confidence doesn't make you immune from the clock though, a good AD knows how to handle these situations. In the past, UNLV has been poor with it. Things like "I discuss with all of our coaches exactly where we are at once their season finishes up" isn't a strong position.

... if you hear names start floating out there, they are probably completely false, but not might be. But it's more than names. Just general hotseat talking that reaches high levels. Just gibberish - gibberish that has the ability to potentially undermine. Again, in previous years, this was used alot. And it was false. It's created. It's just a way to expedite plans and an attempt to smooth the path and have it not surprise anybody too much.

... be very, very careful of the rumor mill, it's not always what it seems. I hate the hell out of it, but rumors happen because there is an MO. Whether it jives with your MO or not, it's still not cool.

... again, my opinion..... I don't think Menzies is in trouble, but I do think it's inevitable and it will be next season, and I do think that his season is going to be made more difficult by people. Fans, boosters, what have you.... I mean, the attendance in itself is a very real strike, a very pertinent strike, one that looks like it's going to remain. But I think things may be slapped on top of it. Again, generalities... sorry about that. I've just seen this stuff before and it smells exactly the same, but there's uncertainty because nobody knows much about the way DFR operates.

...again, my opinion.... It's not exactly the same, but tomorrow's Reno game feels like the Indiana game a couple years ago..... as in, if the Rebels get trounced, the fuse is lit, even though we don't know how long the fuse may be. Of course, UNLV beat Indiana and it kept the circling wolves at bay, but it didn't last but for another month. I really think people are eager already, many are probably already past the point of no return.... but my guess is the funding is nowhere near where it needs to be, then again, nobody is sure of any of that.

.... again, my opinion.... it sickens me to death because much of what I've written is much of what disgusts me about UNLV. Dozens of posts ago, I wrote that at some point, UNLV needs a high price coach that is granted autonomy if the school wants to have a chance to succeed at the level we hope for, I truly believe that. This isn't Menzies. This could have been Beard, it could have been Turner, the face could belong to Haase.... the sidelines aren't the root of all evil here.

I guess the good news in not having alot of fans caring and having the Knights dwarf the Rebels in popularity is that even though it may end up very toxic, it's a smaller dose because the numbers aren't there and the attention isn't there.

Other junk will pop in my head and I'll post it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News