ADVERTISEMENT

Roster management and Talent evaluations are keys to success

220reb

Rebel Legend
May 29, 2001
We've added 55 players to the roster. I believe 30 players are from the portal.

Texas State got lucky with that QB. Deon got his son. If they can replicated it again then yes.

Are you guys watching LSU vs FSU for free now on the stream? It is free all over the world

I hope Brumfield can hone it in a bit. He missed on some HUGE plays on guys wide open. The backup looked good on the short time he was out there. I hope they dont stick with him too long if he is not the answer. Has a cannon of a arm and has a hard time putting a touch on the passes.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I hope Brumfield can hone it in a bit. He missed on some HUGE plays on guys wide open. The backup looked good on the short time he was out there. I hope they dont stick with him too long if he is not the answer. Has a cannon of a arm and has a hard time putting a touch on the passes.
We definitely don't want a repeat of the Coach Sanchez / Armani Rogers debacle.

Is Doug getting the nod to start because he is the guy or is it an indictment on the other QB’s not being ready in the minds of this staff?

Is Doug getting the nod to start because he is the guy or is it an indictment on the other QB’s not being ready in the minds of this staff?
It is vitally important for the coaching staff to identified QB1 and his backups and stick with it. Players can have bad game even the QB1 but you dont change horses in-season unless there is injuries.
Look at the length at which Bellicheck willing to go for Mac Jones. Zappe clearly can play. Same way he treated Jimmy G for Tom Brady.

Tom Brady would have never seen the field until Drew Bledsoe was injured. You dont make a wishy washy decision with the most important position of your football team. The fans an holler and toots all they want, until there is injury to Brum...he is our QB1

Tom Brady would have never seen the field until Drew Bledsoe was injured. You dont make a wishy washy decision with the most important position of your football team. The fans an holler and toots all they want, until there is injury to Brum...he is our QB1
So I guess you are saying that if we get 5 games into the season and Brum continues to miss wide open receivers and it is costing us games that we should stick with him. Sorry but I dont buy that.

We have 3 years of data on him that show passing accuracy hasn't been his strong suit. I hope he gets it going and settles in and if he does the upside is definitely there.

Reactions: 220reb
So I guess you are saying that if we get 5 games into the season and Brum continues to miss wide open receivers and it is costing us games that we should stick with him. Sorry but I dont buy that.

We have 3 years of data on him that show passing accuracy hasn't been his strong suit. I hope he gets it going and settles in and if he does the upside is definitely there.
If the coaches seen it that way they certainly would have never pick Brum as their QB1, would they?

If the coaches seen it that way they certainly would have never pick Brum as their QB1, would they?
Very possibly. Sports in general is littered with players who look good in practice but can't carry it through to a game. As far as performance goes - I don't believe in picking a player at the beginning of the season and staying with him no matter his performance with the exception of injury. He needs a fair chance and if he can't get it done the next in line needs a chance.

Very possibly. Sports in general is littered with players who look good in practice but can't carry it through to a game. As far as performance goes - I don't believe in picking a player at the beginning of the season and staying with him no matter his performance with the exception of injury. He needs a fair chance and if he can't get it done the next in line needs a chance.
IMO, could be true in every other positions except the QB. He is the heart and soul of your team..the coach should live or die by this decision. Should not switch this horse in the middle of the river.
This is probably why you're predicting the Vander and Haw losses along with 5 others.

Last edited:
IMO, could be true in every other positions except the QB. He is the heart and soul of your team..the coach should live or die by this decision. Should not switch this horse in the middle of the river.
This is probably why you're predicting the Vander and Haw losses along with 5 others.
You're right. I'm predicting those losses mostly because it appears we don't have adequate QB play. As you said, the QB is the heart and soul of the team. Also, our defense looked very suspect in the secondary and we could generate no pass rush to speak of. Bryant is a middle of their conference FCS team and they scored more 1st downs that we did. They also gained exactly the same number of yards. If we play anywhere near the way we played Saturday our conference will chew us up.

Entering the discussion...
1. While I agree having QB1 locked down should be the goal, and having that decided in offseason was a huge deal, unless there is a huge step forward in production, a change must and should happen. We arent analyzing this as a 1 game sample.. This is Doug in a nut shell entering his 3rd year as a starter. He doesn't throw downfield accurately enough and his yardage is extremely limited over the course of his career. His impact has become entirely dependent on his legs first and then check downs. This offense in order to unbalance defenses needs the threat of stretching the field.
2. Maiava per @lobbybuu has developed into a real leadership/relationship role within the locker room. I also can see his passion on the field, even if it was late vs an overmatched opponent. His physical traits and skills just look the complete part. I don't see a step down to him.
3. Come on, He's not Tom brady.
4. The decision to start Doug over the other comes with a few things in my opinion... If you have a 2 year starter in your program, you give him as much opportunity to take the job and you do that entering the year. Its his job. He starts. Unless your freshman is just that amazing.. I mean, even Archie Manning is sitting on the bench in Texas. 1st year coach is going to go with that vs redshirt freshman.
5. This isnt panic over game 1. This is trying to get the program up to where it needs to be. You cant go out in the MWC and be competitive if your QB is going to only get 100-150 yards passing a game. Marcus Arroyo tried that... howd that go?

Having a discussion on your QB play is part of the season. I want Doug to be "the guy" I just havent seen it lately in his play. Who knows, maybe he opens things up vs Michgan with nothing to lose and we go on through the season with the same mentality. I for one am tired of just being ok with the team or Ok with a result because its a W. I'm ready to watch the investment the school has made in dollars turn into what it can and should be with the best facilities outside the P4 on the West Coast...

How many games has Brumfield thrown for 200+ yards in a contest?
Maybe two or three?

Brumfield is more of a runner than passer. That’s why he gets injured.

Let Doug be Doug. If he is more effective as a dual threat let him run. If he gets hurt we got Maiava. Doug is not going pro leave it on the field. He is in a new system it's game 1. He missed some stuff no doubt but I respect Coach Odom enough to put the best out there no matter what year or how many stars by your name. Nobody likes qb controversies. Let Maiava earn it or give Doug enough rope to hang himself but it's way too early for knee jerk reactions.

Let Doug be Doug. If he is more effective as a dual threat let him run. If he gets hurt we got Maiava. Doug is not going pro leave it on the field. He is in a new system it's game 1. He missed some stuff no doubt but I respect Coach Odom enough to put the best out there no matter what year or how many stars by your name. Nobody likes qb controversies. Let Maiava earn it or give Doug enough rope to hang himself but it's way too early for knee jerk reactions.
I am really not concerned with the Non conference schedule however I would really like beating Vanderbilt again and UTEP. It's going to take these next 2 games to get things cranked up offensively. We should be in great shape for Conference play. Hopefully we can stay healthy and have a good year.

Again It was a very watered down version of the offense. They probably let Maiva throw a bit more since they do not expect him to be the guy, esepcially in the first few games.

Apparently Doug has looked very sharp in camp, previsouly he has been a guy that has looked better in games vs camp. Part of the reason he didn't win the starting job at the beginning of last season. ( though injury played a role there too)

Doug looked bad in the Spring game, has looked good behind the scenes, then underwhelmed in game 1 in a watered down offense where we had the game in hand from the opening play.

He still needs to prove himself a bit more no doubt, but lets see what he looks like (in a winnable game) against more even competition in a full version of this offense.

I have a feeling we will be revisiting this topic. My guess is Doug starts next game but Odom wont hesitate to make a change if he sees more of the same.

I have a feeling we will be revisiting this topic. My guess is Doug starts next game but Odom wont hesitate to make a change if he sees more of the same.
Hope that's true. Gotta play the game of not crushing confidence of your starting QB, but not hurting his team... we saw Sanchez tie to Armani and that didn't work out. Can't really make a comparison for Arroyo, except to say he seemingly really disliked Doug at QB, as evidence by playing basically everyone on the depth chart before him two years in a row.

What say you now?

There were perhaps a half dozen plays ( reads, long throws etc) that I just don't envision Doug making. As it turned out each one of those needed to be made or we lose.

I believe if Doug stayed in the entire game we lose by at least 20.
The WRs were not ready for about a half dozen of those reads but with time and the 1s, they'll get on same page... he just makes the hot read so quickly and knows where the blitz is coming from much better... there are still some plays he's not sure about yet and makes a bad read on, but the visual play is much more smoother

Maiava looked better but is that because they didn’t have film on him?
The next few games will tell how good he is this year. This is a bowl year with the way the schedule sets up for us, no Boise, USU or SDSU and the expectations should not change because of Maiava being the guy. With Jayden, I think the chances actually improve even with him being an unknown commodity!

Maiava looked better but is that because they didn’t have film on him?
The next few games will tell how good he is this year. This is a bowl year with the way the schedule sets up for us, no Boise, USU or SDSU and the expectations should not change because of Maiava being the guy. With Jayden, I think the chances actually improve even with him being an unknown commodity!
No, it's because they can actually run an offense... The play calling totally changed after he came in. They ran more odd sets or "side car" as the TV guys called it and moved the backs/receivers around more. Add in that he could hit a pass beyond a check down and using the best WR on our team like you should and it was just better play. Watch some of the hot reads he made and tell me Doug wouldn't have just tried to tuck and run or hold it to long and get hit...

No, it's because they can actually run an offense... The play calling totally changed after he came in. They ran more odd sets or "side car" as the TV guys called it and moved the backs/receivers around more. Add in that he could hit a pass beyond a check down and using the best WR on our team like you should and it was just better play. Watch some of the hot reads he made and tell me Doug wouldn't have just tried to tuck and run or hold it to long and get hit...
Yes!
Teams will plan a scheme to take away what he is comfortable doing, that’s what happens in football, they are called D Coordinators! I did not mention Doug so why do you keep mentioning something I didn’t bring up?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT