ADVERTISEMENT

Root for SDSU and $ or hell no?

We aren’t a rival with SDSU anymore, we just aren’t on their level. Now having said that, we easily could be on that level but because of administration issues, UNLV athletics, boosters being fractured resulting in the poor coaching choices is why. I know Kevin is still here but if we had a guy like Rodney Terry or I’d even take Mark Madsen from UVU going into next year. Then we would have a team that can play like SDSU plays now and I’d argue that those two coaches would have a better PG, C and go to guy than what the Aztecs have now. I respect what their team is doing this year but that team can be duplicated and even made better with the right staff and we don’t have that staff here yet!

Last edited:
If only this was true.... They still care deeply about this game and UNM... it doesnt matter how many in a row they have won..
I don’t think they do. If the T&M was packed and we were ranked then yeah they would. We are just another team to them at this point.

I was rooting for SDSU…

They could have beat us by 40 points if they didn’t lay off the pedal in San Diego.

History will look back at SDSU team as a phenomenal team!!

If we weren't such a broke-ass conference I'd say hell to the no, but such is not the case. At least it's not BYU and the continent's most insufferable fans. As it is, SDSU's fans are only the conference's most insufferable fans. Since we can't earn it ourselves, I don't mind someone else earning it for us. Doesn't mean I gotta like 'em.

The MWC Commissioner confirmed the payout will Only be 212K per school! You can multiply that by 10x and still No Thanks!! Multiply it by 100x and we can have a conversation!!!

Reactions: rebelzzz
I typically root for our conference teams in the Tourney (except FUNR). For a variety of reasons, extra cash for our struggling athletic department being one of them.

To be honest the other part of me wants the conference to succeed to validate UNLV's struggles a bit more. It is sad, but true. The MW has been horrible in the tournament recently. So I have been depressed, lol. So it is nice to see SDSU advance.

That being said, the petty part of my brain does NOT want them to win a NC because I still want to hold that over them. Also it just doesn't feel right. They are good, but not NC good. But none of the teams in the field right now feel that way. It has just been a weird year in college ball.

Either way I think the winner of UConn-Miami will take it, and I am leaning towards UConn.

UConn peaked at just the right time. They have been the buzzsaw in this tournament, the opposition only so much lumber. I'll be uber-surprised if they don't win it all.

Reactions: 76RunninRebel
I typically root for our conference teams in the Tourney (except FUNR). For a variety of reasons, extra cash for our struggling athletic department being one of them.

To be honest the other part of me wants the conference to succeed to validate UNLV's struggles a bit more. It is sad, but true. The MW has been horrible in the tournament recently. So I have been depressed, lol. So it is nice to see SDSU advance.

That being said, the petty part of my brain does NOT want them to win a NC because I still want to hold that over them. Also it just doesn't feel right. They are good, but not NC good. But none of the teams in the field right now feel that way. It has just been a weird year in college ball.

Either way I think the winner of UConn-Miami will take it, and I am leaning towards UConn.
No way is SDSU NC good. They might win it but that just shows how far the quality of college basketball has sunk.

SDSU got a paved highway to the sweet 16! After beating Charleston they played Furman. Their run was supposed to stop at Alabama but it didn’t. Creighton or Princeton was a dream matchups for them and here they are. No way SDSU is considered a championship team but they have earned their way into the final four. Just don’t tell me Kruger can’t construct a team better than this Aztecs team, it’s not that hard!

All he needs is 2 guys like Harkless, a decent PG like say Trey Woodberry type and two good, not great front court guys combined at the 4 and 5 spot. All of these guys could come from schools like lower level P5, MWC, WAC and even the Big West. Get a few good players from that level on the same team and your shooting for the NCAA’s and at worst a decent NIT run!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MonsterJam
SDSU got a paved highway to the sweet 16! After beating Charleston they played Furman. Their run was supposed to stop at Alabama but it didn’t. Creighton or Princeton was a dream matchups for them and here they are. No way SDSU is considered a championship team but they have earned their way into the final four. Just don’t tell me Kruger can’t construct a team better than this Aztecs team, it’s not that hard!

All he needs is 2 guys like Harkless, a decent PG like say Trey Woodberry type and two good, not great front court guys combined at the 4 and 5 spot. All of these guys could come from schools like lower level P5, MWC, WAC and even the Big West. Get a few good players from that level on the same team and your shooting for the NCAA’s and at worst a decent NIT run!
You forgot SDSU has continuity and years of building a culture. UNLV isn't even close. And gets further away every year.

Reactions: MonsterJam
You forgot SDSU has continuity and years of building a culture. UNLV isn't even close. And gets further away every year.
And we won’t get that team experience - we flip the roster far too much every year. So many “free agents” with a year or two only. Not a good way to build.

How to retain? Promises for PT doesn’t work. $$$

The Aztecs ain’t too hard to duplicate! If Kevin can’t get the horses and Coach them up than he ain’t the right guy, move on from him!

The Aztecs ain’t too hard to duplicate! If Kevin can’t get the horses and Coach them up than he ain’t the right guy, move on from him!
In theory that’s true, but in todays CBB landscape with the portal and me first attitudes roster turnover, etc and then add UNLVs dysfunction it’s probably very difficult for UNLV to duplicate it,

Reactions: rebel5280
In theory that’s true, but in todays CBB landscape with the portal and me first attitudes roster turnover, etc and then add UNLVs dysfunction it’s probably very difficult for UNLV to duplicate it,
That and these portal guys must know KK is on the hot seat and may be in his last year.

Man you would have to bring reality into it! Lol
I agree, UNLV has some major dysfunction!

You, Shawn and I were on campus at the same time back in the day, I bet the dysfunction was around even back then (Maxson) because hiring the right coach can’t be this hard!

Man you would have to bring reality into it! Lol
I agree, UNLV has some major dysfunction!

You, Shawn and I were on campus at the same time back in the day, I bet the dysfunction was around even back then (Maxson) because hiring the right coach can’t be this hard!
Tark camouflaged the dysfunction. I think it’s always been there from the beginning to some degree. He was just so amazing with the program that we only saw some of it.

Reactions: rebel5280
Tark camouflaged the dysfunction. I think it’s always been there from the beginning to some degree. He was just so amazing with the program that we only saw some of it.
And he had the community supporting the program too… pretty much dried up now, low interest, other sporting events, not a small town anymore. I’ve pretty much prepared myself mentally that we won’t be relevant on a national scene again. Well we really haven’t been since he was ousted (3 tourney wins) since 1991.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT