ADVERTISEMENT

Peery smoke.

Rosegreen1

All American
Dec 2, 2023
“Additionally, multiple sources have told me influential people in BYU’s administration have liked Peery for years as a potential replacement for Pope.

I’m quite certain Peery would take the BYU job if offered, and brings a lot to the table with his background and coaching pedigree.”

Reactions: RebelScrub
Madsen appears firmly entrenched at CAL after his tweet. BYU probably focuses on Burgess and Peery.

Personally, I think Peery is gone. Was a finalist the last time the job was open.

• Wow
Reactions: LVRebel2000
Burgess would be a better option for them to keep their class together.. Hes got the Utah/SLC direct connection and recruited so many of those kids to Utah, is coming from Rival Utah and a P5 assistant. I know Peery has the LDS connection and has likely at least reached out to some of those kids during their recruiting cycles and has the former HC experience, just seems like Burgess would be from their fan perspective a better hire... and personally I dont want to lose Peery since we seem to have turnover at the assistant position often

Which of our recruits are Peery's?
That is exactly what I was going to ask, who has Perry brought in?
I knew Coach Perry when he was at UVU and he was good then for that program but UNLV is completely different.
But serious question what has he done for/brought in to UNLV? And would it be a big loss?

“Additionally, multiple sources have told me influential people in BYU’s administration have liked Peery for years as a potential replacement for Pope.

I’m quite certain Peery would take the BYU job if offered, and brings a lot to the table with his background and coaching pedigree.”

It’s a no brainer if he’s offered. It could be Alabama Tech or Anchorage State … if it’s a D1 HC job and you’re an assistant at a mid major, you’re leaving without question. BYU is a solid program, he’d take it immediately. There’s no thinking about it.

I don’t think it would crush UNLV though.

It’s a no brainer if he’s offered. It could be Alabama Tech or Anchorage State … if it’s a D1 HC job and you’re an assistant at a mid major, you’re leaving without question. BYU is a solid program, he’d take it immediately. There’s no thinking about it.

I don’t think it would crush UNLV though.
I think he's been a really good assistant. IMO, there are dozens of assistants that could come here and contribute immediately. Especially on the recruiting front.

I think he's been a really good assistant. IMO, there are dozens of assistants that could come here and contribute immediately. Especially on the recruiting front.
My thinking as well. The impact of the loss of Perry would depend on who replaces him and whether that person brings any recruits with him.

He has the JC contacts I believe, so Cherry this season, I'm guessing Whaley as well. Not sure who else.
Could see that being the case. He was the former head coach of College of Southern Idaho (Whaley) in the mid 2000s and then Indian Hills CC a few years later. Both schools are juco powers... along with SLCC where we expect CDR to be, but that's beside the point

I think there's something to be said about staff continuity with his value... he's a smart coach, brings alot of experience to Kevin's bench, and keep coaching continuity was one of the big issues with his first to second year and it'd be nice to keep the same staff together for 3 years...
That said, there's probably good replacement assistant coaches out there...

Add Dedan Sr if he leaves. IMO Dedan could work real well with the guards. Also, Tyus would be an added bonus.
Though you would want to replace his experience in the college ranks with something similar. But finding a way to get Dedan Sr. on the Staff would be a great move.

I am not liking the direction we are headed. IMO. It's really hard to be optimistic. EVEN 4 ME! I don't see anything CKK brings to the table that any of 150 plus Div 1 coaches don't. Just more wasted opportunity. CKK just does not have the qualities to become a sought after HC. Maybe it's a learning curb? Should of NEVER EVER came at Unlv and the fanbase expense. CKK better
hope that the powers that be ($$$) bails out UNLV , but then there's lies the problem. Then we might have CKK as our HC for the foreseeable future. GETTING decent results .Having him as our HC does not excite fans , recruits or significant NIL money( multiple players) All of that could be achieved with the right hire. IMO.

I am not liking the direction we are headed. IMO. It's really hard to be optimistic. EVEN 4 ME! I don't see anything CKK brings to the table that any of 150 plus Div 1 coaches don't. Just more wasted opportunity. CKK just does not have the qualities to become a sought after HC. Maybe it's a learning curb? Should of NEVER EVER came at Unlv and the fanbase expense. CKK better
hope that the powers that be ($$$) bails out UNLV , but then there's lies the problem. Then we might have CKK as our HC for the foreseeable future. GETTING decent results .Having him as our HC does not excite fans , recruits or significant NIL money( multiple players) All of that could be achieved with the right hire. IMO.
Truth!

I have been saying Kevin has overstayed his welcome and will drag UNLV into the abyss of mediocrity!

Didn’t get the head job but wonder if he will join the new staff in Provo. BYU is serious and throwing tons of cash at the program. New HC gets a 7 year/ 30 million dollar contract.

• Wow
Didn’t get the head job but wonder if he will join the new staff in Provo. BYU is serious and throwing tons of cash at the program. New HC gets a 7 year/ 30 million dollar contract.
Sounds more like they competed against themselves and had to pay NBA HC $$ for a guy without college coaching experience. I get that people like the NBA pedigree and hes was apparently a leading candidate for a NBA HC job, but man, the sports are so different, even with the portal and NIL.

Peery will get his chance sooner or later, if he wants it. He is a good guy and coach but he have to wants it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT