ADVERTISEMENT

pathetic

Dec 10, 2012
losing to this sorry ass team. dwayne morgan has been a disappointment. cody dolin isn't the right pg for dave rices "running offense". chris wood is still shooting 3's. we should beat this team if our players meet for the first time tonight on talent alone. i am suprised i seem to be the only one starting negative threads like the rest of the fans base and alum is okay with this.

Rebels won, and it was a pretty good comeback if I say so myself.
That was a helll of a game boys!!!!

Last I checked we won right?!?!?

50% of the game was played with 1 senior and 4 freshman on the court... give this team a chance to grow, I think they might surprise you in March.

I have NO complaints about this game!

Yes, there was some freshman decisions on offense that WILL get better with experience but you can't teach heart!

This team will grow, and it's hard to say this but... Rice is actually getting better at coaching!

I hope they come away with a W this Saturday.

that team was tailor made to kick our ass. three 6' 11" buffaloes, a lightning quick PG, and can shoot the 3 very well.

we have a pencil stick figure for our tallest guy and a Sharpie TM stick figure freshman for our other big.

when Vaughn missed that FT i had a flashback of BDJ. thankfully he didn't dribble off his foot out of bounds. Vaughn was great and Doolin ended in spectacular fashion.

i would rather see a 20 point beating because of my ailing heart, but this was awesome now that it ended with us on top!!!

yes i feel stupid because our team at home with a couple of nba players on the roster had to take the 146th ken pom ranked wcc team to over time to win.

They're not NBA players. They're potential NBA players who are 18 years old. Big difference. Just glad after such a tough night we showed a lot of heart and came back.

What happened to Coach Rice's promise of less patience?
smokin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by SanDiegoRebel2010alum:
yes i feel stupid because our team at home with a couple of nba players on the roster had to take the 146th ken pom ranked wcc team to over time to win.
Even Golden State warriors have lost 3 games...

Just cause your favored and might be more talented, that doesn't guarantee you a win.

They had more experience as a "TEAM", thus is why they were competitive.

I don't know if you were born yet or not but the 90-91 team had 5 NBA starters on their team and average an ass-whooping of 25 points per game but they still had close games.

So you aren't making a very good argument and you should probably not hold this team to such a high standard and just enjoy their development as the season goes on. You may be pleasantly surprised at the end.

Go figure, knight had more criticism after a game.

That team played a game way over their heads. How many shots did they make that had no business going in?

Doolin was amazing, Rashad is an absolute stud, and Wood is turning into something special.

I for one am sick of the complaining of the lack of a running offense. They push the ball so much, the other team realizes they want to and get back on defense. This is not the early 90's, the game has changed.

It is absolutely staggering to me how many people on here think they know more abouy coaching than, you know, a head coach. 8-2 and the sky is falling....
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by bcvegaspt:
Originally posted by 702Rebel Knight:
What happened to Coach Rice's promise of less patience?
smokin.r191677.gif
I heard Rice from my seats so he's being more of a vocal leader. That or my hearing is getting better.

Also, he's showing more fire on the sidelines.
I just hope it translates to winning more games, making the NCAA tourney and actually winning a game or 2 not the usual 1 and done !

Did you not know UNLV was only a -5 1/2 point favorite at home tonight? This game was supposed to be a dog fight & was. Portland even played without its top scorer. This was a good win & a must win considering the schedule we have coming up.

Sure was a fun game. I had a blast. I just hope we don't get destroyed by Utah and Arizona. Losing to 4 PAC 12 teams will suck!!

hell of a game would have been blowing this team out by 20 not trailing the whole game and winning in OT but whatever
In today's game you just aren't going to have many teams dominate all season long. Too much player turnover and too much inexperience to field a team that will consistently and without fail crush every competent opponent they play. Even today's elite teams struggle far more than elite teams of the 80's and 90's ever did and we are FAR from being elite. As long as the team plays hard throughout and learns and improves from game to game that's all that can be realistically expected win or lose.

Getting behind by 15 points is reason for concern. At the same time, do not overlook the resolve of this team to overcome that deficit, send the game into OT and then win. With 5 true freshman, the team could have easily folded.

Portland has a solid program. This years team has alot of experience. As another person pointed out, this game was expected to be close. It would behoove Rice and company to figure out a way to stop getting behind by 10-15 points. Hard to come back from deficit that big in 2nd half against Utah, Arizona, Kansas, SDSU, New Mexico, Boise, CSU....etc.

I like the resolve of this team. They energy with which they play the game. And, they play like a team with 5 TRUE FRESHMAN and 6 players who are in their first year with the program. This is likely going to be one of those "cardiac kids" type of teams.

I'm expecting UNLV to lose the next 2 games. Hopefully they keep the final score respectable. Then I predict they will beat S. Utah. That will be 7-4 against D1 teams non conference, with the game at Kansas still left to be played. I'm hoping the Rebels can go 1-1 in these next 2 games, but that is going to be difficult.

Check back with me in about one month. If the team keeps digging big holes for themselves and loses due to playing stiffer competition, my outlook will likely not be as optimistic.

Sounds like the 2nd half was a good one.to bad I fell asleep at half time.

I was worried we would have another midget go off and have to be added to the midget wall of shame.

Tough grind it out win over another mid 100s team.Let's see what happens in the next few games - and don't sleep on Wyoming they are one of the better teams in the MWC. I think it would really help the fan base if the Rebels could stay within a few buckets of some of these better teams coming up on the schedule. Here is current KenPom rankings for the top 6 teams in the MWC: SDSU 28th, CSU 59th, Wyoming 63th, Boise St 68th., NM 82nd, and UNLV 119th.

They Rebels have beat every team rated lower than them. They did not come close against the 2 teams they played in front of them (Stanford 51 & ASU 73) Can the Rebels improve enough over the next couple of months to beat teams in front of them? This is the challenge for the Rebels team and their coaching staff. Get the team to improve. There is plenty of good teams in the the MWC (top-100) to make a run at an NCAA tourney bid. This is the next test of the Coach Dave Rice era - the last 2 seasons have imploded, will this season be different, will he be able to get the team to improve as the season goes on. There is no reason not to think they will not improve. The have plenty of talent, there does not seem to be any personality riffs on this squad and all the pieces are in place for that type of season. Get it done!

Thank goodness that other coach was stupid enough to pull his zone and go man to man. If they stayed in zone majority of game. We lose easy. The positives of this team from last year is they find a way to win the close games rather than completely imploding. For three years i jumped all over people that questioned Rice coaching ability and made every excuse in the world for him. They knew that team would come out in a zone. Even the announcers said they where gonna start in a zone before the game but, we where clueless as to how to run anything against it. We came back the last 3 minutes due to vaughn and Doolin just taking over. Those where not coaching adjustments or set plays. That was Doolin and Vaughn taking team on their back and creating. Credit to Rice was the 1-1-3 zone or what ever that was. Team seemed to be on the same page and it was effective. I more than anyone want Rice to be a great coach and for the Rebels to be successful. Heaven knows I've spent a small fortune supporting them. A team usually takes on the characteristics of its coach. Would love to see Rice get fired up and get into the face of players not giving 100% and chest bumping the ones that do. Demand excellence!! I know he is limited on bigs and Wood is extremely talented but, pull him when he gets lazy on D or throws up a poor shot or hangs his head after he misses and trouts down the court. You don't let players do that!!! Mistakes are different but, being lazy and not following system inexcusable and Rice needs to develop that culture.

Originally posted by heatermatt:
We need to play zone almost exclusively. And Doolin is one gritty SOB! Love that kid
Agree....they are the laziest team I have ever watched play man to man...wood has a 7'4" wingspan and put his arm up as high as a midgets...the game is like the 90s for certain teams that have coaches that know their shit...dave doesnt know how to coach...it is like watching a bunch of trees on offense...im tired of it...28 points in the first half..seriously? kentucky plays with freshman and they seem to be pretty good at it but what is the one thing they have we dont....COACHING...this team sucks in the half court...need to make it a full court game or we will barely win 20 games this year against a bunch of nobodies.

Why does it take 37 minutes before Cody decides to do anything. Our offense looks bad the majority of the game. The only actual run we had was the first half when Doolin went out and Pat ran the point. Pat is more aggressive creating plays. I haven't seen Cody try one alley pop and pat has about 5 so far. Now with that you are going to have the dumb turn overs that pat makes too. Those passes he tries to make five feet from the hoop are not good. I would love to see cody do what he did In The last three minutes earlier. He seems to be able to get to the rack easily when he decides to go and his outside shots haven't been terrible. It's just when he is passive like usuall the offense really stutters

Also how do we let Vaughn go so long without having something drawn up for him or him just take it on his self to score. With five to go he had 13 points and I was thinking he has to take over right now and he did pretty easy. We need that more consistently and not just in spurts. He is so freakin good. Who cares if he takes a few bad shots he is easily our best offensive player.

For some reason CDR teams don't play with fire and passion for 40 minutes. Not sure why that is? First I thought it was a bad mix of players but, that excuse is done. In paper CDR stated last two practices didn't go well?? Why? Do they players run the practices? If the players are being lazy in practice then as a coach you change that. You set up a culture where that doesn't happen or is tolerated. You get into the, you set up fast paced draining practices. I don't understand the statements from CDR that they practice good after loses but not after wins. ?????

We are one of the youngest teams in the NCAA. Just because there is some NBA level talent on the team doesn't mean we're the favorites to win the NCAA tourney. Jesus, get a grip people.

Dont think anyone on here expects to win the NCAA tourny. Just to play hard and motivated.

The zone they played was meant to trip us up while playing three 6'11 guys which worked but they couldn't play that all game so they had to go man to man. I'm giving this team room to grow because of their youth. They make mistakes but they play hard. Look around the country and you see teams with great coaches struggling.

Originally posted by LetsRun:
For some reason CDR teams don't play with fire and passion for 40 minutes. Not sure why that is? First I thought it was a bad mix of players but, that excuse is done. In paper CDR stated last two practices didn't go well?? Why? Do they players run the practices? If the players are being lazy in practice then as a coach you change that. You set up a culture where that doesn't happen or is tolerated. You get into the, you set up fast paced draining practices. I don't understand the statements from CDR that they practice good after loses but not after wins. ?????
No fire no passion because Rice has no fire no passion. Players follow their coach. Imitate their coach. If someone is lazy, they are sitting on the bench. They dont get back on D, on the bench. They dont close out to shooters, on the bench. They dont cut hard off a screen, on the bench. I want to see rice break a clipboard, kick the scores table, throw a chair, something that shows me he has fire and some balls. Just like when the refs allowed the basket even though a flagrant was called five seconds before the basket. He needs to lay into the refs. Get a technical. Call them a mothereffer. ANYTHING!!!! That may wake his players up from the constant deep sleep they are in when they play the game of basketball.

And I dont know what game some of you are watching but our team does not play hard whatsoever. Every single game they struggle out of the gate and are sluggish. They are the complete opposite.

This post was edited on 12/18 1:13 PM by sandracer250

I saw Rice going crazy a few times on the sidelines. I know this goes against your guys cry baby attitude and you see what you want so you can come on a message board, try and sound smart, and act like you know what you are talking about. Bad news for you is that you are failing miserably.

People like you guys have completely ruined this message board and made it pointless to talk basketball. All that is left is to laugh at you and feel sorry for you.

Originally posted by sandracer250:
Originally posted by Masked_rebel:
Originally posted by sandracer250:
kentucky plays with freshman and they seem to be pretty good at it but what is the one thing they have we dont....
9 McDonald's All Americans?
We have a few..top 5 recruiting class so cant use that as an excuse...next?
We have 1.... Maybe 1.5 if you count JK... They will have 6-7 guys drafted after 1 season at Kentucky.. Big difference in our recruiting class to theirs even if its a top 5....

The guy compared our recruiting class to Kentucky's. Why even bother trying to have an intelligent conversation? It is impossible.

losing to this sorry ass team. dwayne morgan has been a disappointment. cody dolin isn't the right pg for dave rices "running offense". chris wood is still shooting 3's. we should beat this team if our players meet for the first time tonight on talent alone. i am suprised i seem to be the only one starting negative threads like the rest of the fans base and alum is okay with this.
This post is pathetic.

rolleye0010.r191677.gif

Originally posted by wrigleyn8:
Why does it take 37 minutes before Cody decides to do anything...I would love to see cody do what he did In The last three minutes earlier. He seems to be able to get to the rack easily when he decides to go and his outside shots haven't been terrible. It's just when he is passive like usuall the offense really stutters
I'm just thinking out loud but I'm sure he's trying to get people to run the offense to create shots, but I think he has to know that if he's a threat to shoot, or especially, to penetrate that it will actually make the offense look a lot better. When you run as many high ball screens as we do, the penetration as well as the roll to the cup has to be an option, especially when a team isn't going to switch the screen. The Cody Doolin form the first 35 minutes last night is the PG of a fourth place MWC team. The Cody Doolin we saw in the last 10 minutes is the PG of a NCAA tournament team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT