ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Why pitch counts benefit modern pitchers

Just the pussification of sports. Flag football for quarterbacks, strict pitch counts, load management …. It’s all lame.

You know what? I think we’d all benefit from 16 hour work weeks with full pay. We’d be so much more mentally relaxed, our bodies and minds always fresh because we reduced stressors and risk.

It about money.

Pitching a baseball is a terrible thing to do to your body.

90% of all major league pitchers have a rotator cuff tear and or a labral tear. Not injured players, all pitchers.

The most unstable joint of your body now has a tear to the most important passive and active stablizers in the joint.

Baseball money is guaranteed. Top pitchers demand big money.

Nolan Ryan was a freak that pitched hard late in his years. One of the greatest to ever do it.

The advent of all of the different breaking balls, 95+ fastballs with movement, pitching is a different beast these days.

They need to protect their investments.

I wouldn't blame the pitchers themselves. You ever see a pitcher happy he was being taken out of the game?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I wouldn't blame the pitchers themselves. You every see a pitcher happy he was being taken out of the game?

Well there is Josh Hader who refuses to enter the game prior to the 9th inning, so no 4 out saves and won't pitch more than 2 days in a row, he did reluctantly go 3 straight games 3 times this season

Well there is Josh Hader who refuses to enter the game prior to the 9th inning, so no 4 out saves and won't pitch more than 2 days in a row, he did reluctantly go 3 straight games 3 times this season
OK, we can blame that dude.

It about money.

90% of all major league pitchers have a rotator cuff tear and or a labral tear. Not injured players, all pitchers.

The most unstable joint of your body now as a tear to the most important passive and active stablizer in the joint.

Nolan Ryan was a freak that pitched hard late in his years. One of the greatest to ever do it.

The advent of all of the different breaking balls, 95+ fastballs with movement, pitching is a different beast these days.

I wouldn't blame the pitchers themselves. You every see a pitcher happy he was being taken out of the game?
I know it’s about money.

It wasn’t about money for real players though. It was about giving their all every time they were on the field of play. I respect that.

I saw a video of a pitcher (young guy, don’t know who he was) bitching that he WASNT taken out of the game because of the pitch count. He’s a wimp, I’d not allow him in my organization.

I guess personal pride impresses me, not career decisions that give you longevity and fortune. Leave it on the field.

I preferred Walter Payton or Earl Campbell lowering their shoulders and blasting a defender instead of Emmitt Smith and his slides or cut 2 yards off a gain by heading OB.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
It about money.

The most unstable joint of your body now has a tear to the most important passive and active stablizers in the joint.

I wouldn't blame the pitchers themselves. You ever see a pitcher happy he was being taken out of the game?

Well Dylan Cease did complain the other day that the manager left him in after 90 pitches and that's why he gave up two runs...

I'm not as down on pitch counts as some. Analytics love them or hate them show pitchers tend to struggle a lot more the third time through a lineup.

As for protecting QBs...I think it's gone a bit too far but I understand the NFL not wanting a Monday Night Matchup of Brian Hoyer and Cade McClown at starting QB because guys like Mahomes and Herbert got hurt...

There is a balancing here.

I loved the big hits of football even 15 years ago. Then dudes started doing crazy from CTE. Junior Seau, one of my favorites back in the day, made it hit a little harder.

Players are more informed about their bodies, which is a good thing. Which is why they may complain for staying in too long or refuse playing in consecutive days.

They know that their careers can be over in an instant.

the % return to prior level for pitchers after major shoulder surgery (anything more than a debridement) is 12%.

Tommy Johns has been much more successful in recent years. What Verlander was able to do in his late 30's no less was quite remarkable. Though his younger teammate Lance McCullers is having a rough time trying to get back.

From a medical standpoint, it is more about shoulder fatigue as pitches go up. The ability to control your arm isn't just about pitch accuracy it's about elbow loading.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT