ADVERTISEMENT

Not everyone thinks the new coach will be a bust

Rebel1986

Rebel Legend
Feb 25, 2011
Las Vegas
This is the first really positive story regarding the new coach.

I think we will all know within a month what directions things will go.

Will UNLV get booster funds?
Will the new coach (if confirmed) be able to bring on board a good staff of assistant coaches?
Will they have sufficient funds to bring on board the type of staff that is needed?
Will the coach be able to recruit good local players?
Will his new connections and staff be able to recruit good players from outside the valley?

We will see! I hope so.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2295641-tony-sanchez-is-inspired-choice-to-be-unlvs-next-football-coach?utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=BR_RunninRebels&utm_source=twitter.com

Whats up with the old man UNR fan in the photo with the cannon? Go back to your seat gramps.

I feel UNLV will be at the bottom of the heap with national/regional prospects, Sanchez will need to focus on winning with the current guys that make up the team and proving he can coach at the FBS level before he expects to draw high quality players from outside of Las Vegas.
Locally, he will have the opportunity to grab immediate impact players like Noah Tialavea.
There are quite a few developmental athletes in the area as well as the region. He will need to prove has has the guys in place to locate and develop raw talent to a level they can play roles on the team and eventually be stars.
The Gaels 2016 class is not much to talk about but the state as a whole has some elite guys that will be available.
The 2017 class Gorman class is completely loaded. If he can build a USC/Alabama/LSU like culture among Southern Nevada players were it is popular to stay home, he can have a ton of success in the future.

This is going to take far more patience than I'm accustomed to seeing from UNLV fans.

1. Even if Ferttita comes through with the money, there will be a time requirement to build facilities. I doubt even the middling recruits Sanchez will have to target at the outset will be impressed by blueprints, drawings, and promises.
2. Sanchez needs to show that he can win with what he has. 2-3 wins next season would advertise that he is at least no worse a coach than the last two.
3. It could get worse before it gets better but STILL be an evolution toward building a competitive program.

I think this is the right move all the way, but I hope this administration will be more steadfast and letting things develop than the fanbase will.

I think some changes will come pretty immediately (travel, training table, advisors, high end assistants, recruiting budget). But the entire process of building (practice facility, infusion of new talent, decent number of wins, culture) will take some time.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

IIRC, I read a story either in the Sun or RJ that Sanchez & BG succeeded in BG's national & state HS success is by importing talented players from mainly CA schools. Maybe standard practice w/ big HSs. I read that there were 3 key players from CA who transferred to BG that caused BG's success this year.

If true, this implies that LV really has no local football talent. It also casts a shadow on Sanchez's success at BG. IOW, it's immaterial that he'll attract local HS players, who, by implication of this story, are not that talented.

As a Hauck supporter, I doubt stories on this board that he did not try, at least, to recruit all whatever football talent available in LV & environs. He's not that kind of coach, at least not when he was at my alma mater, Montana. I still believe no talented LV-area HS football player will want to play for UNLV, regardless of who's coaching.

I do know that Montana will build a $14 million "Champion Center" for its athletes. That $14 million only buys it new locker rooms and weight room. $14 million is almost half the $30 million the Fertitas will donate to UNLV. It remains to be seen what the remaining $16 million will go for. I'm just wondering if $30 million is enough in facility improvement to turn this program around.

Talented HS football players, nowadays, are persnickety about off-field comforts and attention, which UNLV does not have. And, I'm not sure a $30 million "gift" is enough to provide that, regardless of the coach. But, that's what Snyder, et al., want, so let's get on with this experiment.

Really Sonny.

So you feel that a coach recuiting stars from out of town says he can't coach and that Las Vegas has no talent? Funny, that by his recruiting out of state players they are the #1 high school team in the country. I guess that says the rest of the country also has no talent with the exception of the players that transferred to BG HS.

As for his recruiting local talent, you are showing a lot of ignorance in regards to his being able to even recruit local kids. The CCSD allows players to go to Bishop Gorman as freshmen, after that they can't bring in any local players without them sitting out for a year. That is the rule for any transfer from one school to another in the valley. When it comes to out of state players, BG is allowed to recruit and bring them in immediately. As for talent in Las Vegas, numerous players have gone on to top level schools, they just don't have the shear number of talented players that BG is able to recruit from out of state.

As for the ability of any coach to recruit locally, or out of state, it is funny how the last class that Hauck recruited for 2014 was one of the lowest ranked classes in the nation. The class ranked 111 out of 123 programs. The average ranking prior to his recruiting at UNLV ranked between 75-95. Sure looks like he is a great recruiter. Hawaii, UTEP, Kent, and New Mexico St. are all ranked right in front of UNLV in the class rankings. Amazing how we almost out recruited these high powered programs that have unlimited cash.

I was way too nice throughout the Hauck career. Care to take a guess how many games I went to where coach Hauck made at least a dozen or more bad play calls?

Take your sour grapes and say good night!
This post was edited on 12/10 10:39 PM by Rebel1986

I'm not going to argue with your Hauck colored glasses mainly because I like Bobby and think he is a stand up guy. UNLV needs a different kind of a leader someone who can build a vision where there has been none, Sanchez is a great out of the box hire, there is potentially a lot of financial support which will help UNLV compete where it could not in the past. Sanchez in more then just a couple of recruits from California just so you know. Hopefully your Alma Mater rehires Hauck sounds like you'd be happy and it's definitely a better fit for him and his strengths and personality.

This post was edited on 12/11 1:45 PM by rebelx

This is not a farewell post to this board, despite bcvegaspt's sentiments. I compliment folks like 1986 & rebelx, who have answered me forcefully, but respectfully. If any of you have been reading stories in the Sun & RJ, and have taken a look at the comments, you'll see that community reactions to this hire are mixed. Here's one comment to a Sun story re: this hire, that reflects my thinking better than I'm able to do:

"What
a home town article ( not that I have an issue with that ). They make
it sound like Sanchez is the second coming of Urban Meyer. I have yet
to hear from the administration about what plans to make this program
decent. The first move was to hire a coach for less money, a coach who
has never been a D 1 head coach….not impressive.

"Again,
I could be totally wrong but I am not impressed at all with this hire.
They decided to hire a local high school coach, pay him LESS money than
the previous coach. What kind of money do they hope to pay assistants
or are they looking for more local high school coaches to help after
they teach in the classroom during the day……saving even more money.

"After
the first season, when we start with N Ill, Michigan, UCLA……and lose
most games are kids going to think this program is improving? They
still are trying to recruit kids that end up at Arizona, Arizona State,
Oregon, BYU, Utah, etc etc etc.

"On the other hand
perhaps it is worth the risk. I am all for giving him a chance and by a
chance I mean at least five years before we judge him. It would take
at least that long to turn it around.

"While I don't
like this hire I am buying season tickets to show support and certainly
won't bad mouth him when we lose a ton of games in the next three years.
I plan on giving him time , supporting him, and going to the games. I
support the kids who work hard and would love to see Rebel fans have
something to cheer for.

"Best of Luck to Sanchez."

I remain interested in the football fortunes of the Rebels, and like most who question this hire, I hope Sanchez succeeds. He appears to have all the qualities of a good coach, and I wish him and the Rebels well.

[/URL]

I expect the very initial response to this hire to be pretty poor. And I understand that point of view ompletely.

But this is an iceberg. People are going to react to the tip because it's all they'll see. What's unseen is incredibly vast for UNLV football. People have to allow time for some things to unfold. Good things are in store - efforts to repair/implode-rebuild... Whatever term you want to use... Are going to make sure things are "different". And anything different cant be all that bad. Look at what we are and have been.

Success with this hire can't be guaranteed, but that legitimate efforts are being put forth to be successful... I know that to be true. And that wasn't there for Hauck, Sanford, Robinson, Strong, Horton, Nunnelly, etc.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

The Sanchez thought crossed my mind when the job opened but then I thought that would be crazy. I feel the salary and length were a bit too risky with the program lacking an out-clause if things go bad early.

Bobby Hauck was extremely successful at Montana winning 7 Big Sky titles with 3 trips to the FCS National Championship game. He went 80-17 at Montana but 15-49 at UNLV.

Tony Sanchez was 35-21 as a public high school coach and 85-5 at a private high school. Gorman had been 26-2 the two season before he was hired following the Bob Altshuler Era.

Sanchez is a great high school coach but he was the coach of the equivalent of Ohio State and this year's title was won though the addition of Tate Martell, Tyjon Lindsey, Cordell Broadus and Farrell Hester. Minus those additions, Gorman wouldn't have been undefeated and would have had a hard time getting by Centennial, Arbor View and Reed.

Athletes flock to Bishop Gorman for the belief that their kids will have a better shot at getting a college scholarship through increased exposure. They were able to out athlete teams to big wins though a flow of athletes that started under Dave White who built the current program and the new campus added the exclamation point. This is a program that rarely had two way players that is the staple of public high school football.

If you look at the best coaches on the Nevada high school level based on an even field, you would go with Moapa Valley's Brent Lewis, Reed's Ernie Howren, Liberty's Rich Muraco, Palo Verde's Darwin Rost, Canyon Spring's Hunkie Cooper, Carson's Blair Roman and Centennial's Leon Evans. They are guys that get it done despite holes in their roster due to having to build teams out of the guys that are enrolled.

UNLV is a public high school type college. We build around they guys we can get and create a competitive roster that you hope can win games. You might get a few kids that struggled at big programs and academically average players that won't qualify for the Pac 10 and Nevada athletes that are very talented but don't have big options due to location. This is college football and you don't win at UNLV by thinking you can out athlete teams. This team can win with effort and quality coaching decisions on the field.

I have a hard time getting a good feel for how Sanchez will improve the program but he needs to prove he is a blue collar coach that can get down to the basics. He has to remember why he won at Bishop Gorman and NIU, UCLA, Michigan, BYU or any team in the Mountain West is a different beast.

This post was edited on 12/11 12:01 PM by willlevi

Sonny, it does sound like you're in danger of becoming a UNLV fan...

Originally posted by bcvegaspt
Originally posted by Sonny44: This is not a farewell post to this board, despite bcvegaspt's sentiments.
I meant that as a joke. I know you're moving out to Henderson soon and will (I'm assuming) continue to follow UNLV football.
bc: It would have helped to put a smiley or something at the end. I never know when someone is joking.

Sonny,
Pretty sure he was serious....
happy.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT