ADVERTISEMENT

More Conference Realignment

reagan21

Rebel Legend
Sep 8, 2009
I see FSU, Miami, Clemson and few others leaving the ACC. This will start a chain reaction which will be an arms race for either 1) the corpses of the ACC and Pac2 to try and merge with each other and make a 2 coast 2 division “super league” or 2) the conferences will start trying to poach to stay alive. Think FAU and Liberty to join ACC.

There are some teams who recently joined the Big12 who I could see bolting again to Big10. I don’t think Utah wants to be in the Big12, but it was their only option. FSU and Clemson will be the catalyst. Both will try and get into the SEC, where they probably belong. Miami will try to have FSU drag them over the SEC finish line.

I also wouldn’t be surprised to see Stanford and Cal look to reneg on their ACC idea if the big boys from the ACC leave for the SEC. The Big12 is not on as solid ground as their fans think they are. They’re OBVIOUSLY in a better place than the Pac2 and ACC, but the Big10 and SEC are not done.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Honestly think it’s time for a major change. It’s time to blow everything up and start over. I think revenue sharing, consistent NIL guide lines and transfer rules need to be on the table. You go back to regional divisions (thinking 8) that still ensure marquee matchups for increased TV revenue. I would include everyone in these divisions, but perhaps do a relegation sort of set up or something along those lines. Just ideas, really. But having 2 mega conferences and 2 other OK ones just isn’t good for the sport in my opinion.

and as a second note:
I dont see the remaining original Big 12 teams trying to go elsewhere. KSU is tied to KU, neither are jumping to the Big 10 or SEC, ISU maybe, Tech and Baylor arent, TCU isnt, and WVU definitely isnt going to try anything, they're barely hanging on as it is and Oklahoma St. isnt either. The question would be who do they add?

Not a matter of if, its when. There will be two Tier 1 conferences, BIG and SEC as starting next year there already will be.

SEC will grab FSU, Clemson and Miami
BIG: UNC, UVA, Duke, Notre Dame

After that it will get interesting.

I think Stanford ends up in the BIG

Cal maybe BIG but I feel like they end up in the next group, which to your point could be a ACC/PAC combination and the schools currently in the Big12.

Last edited:
This is all fun. But absolutely impossible to predict. 4 years ago, if anyone would have predicted where we are now they would have been a laughing stock or committed to a mental institution. It involves $$, power, the media, the law and strong personalities. Too many moving parts for a prediction.

Why such interest in the Musical Chairs of conference alignments'?

Its been everchanging for awhile now

None the less - it don't matter how ya slice it up.

we are without a chair

UNLV will never be invited to a major conference nor do we belong.

We should reform the PCAA and travel on a bus

we are without a chair

If we created our own major conference we could be in it. Conferences want to be in sports capital of the world.

Nothing happens until they challenge media rights that ACC has thru 2036 in court, that will take a while, read at least 120 million to leave plus the rights.
SEC/BIg 10 don't need ACC.
Big 12 lacks football powerhouses, it's all about football money.

we are without a chair

Oh gawd this reminds me of one of my favorite movies Major League, First the bitch owner moves them to a rundown plane, then moves them to a rundown bus. Hilarious.

Oh gawd this reminds me of one of my favorite movies Major League, First the bitch owner moves them to a rundown plane, then moves them to a rundown bus. Hilarious.
You're only allowed to come here to discuss sports. Don't make me remember when the third baseman said that it was in his contract that he doesn't have to field ground balls and then the manager pisses on the contract.

Totally joking. I love your outside opinion of our conference, our school, and the current situation!

You're only allowed to come here to discuss sports. Don't make me remember when the third baseman said that it was in his contract that he doesn't have to field ground balls and then the manager pisses on the contract.

Totally joking. I love your outside opinion of our conference, our school, and the current situation!
That was a good scene. Not quite as good as Dorn's hot wife seeing the news report as he walks out with some chick, then picks up and romps Vaughn for revenge, Then walks out - "Hi Jake". Classic shit man.

Much as a pig Charlie Sheen is, I love him. I am hooked on 2 and a half men reruns. He just plays himself. Rough job.

That was a good scene. Not quite as good as Dorn's hot wife seeing the news report as he walks out with some chick, then picks up and romps Vaughn for revenge, Then walks out - "Hi Jake". Classic shit man.

Much as a pig Charlie Sheen is, I love him. I am hooked on 2 and a half men reruns. He just plays himself. Rough job.
I guess that at some point I need to come down to Vegas. You all seem pretty cool.

People said major league sports was never coming here.
Yeah and all those Major Sports team dilute the college market

It takes more than having a big market to get into a BIG conference in College Athletics . You actually have to have substance as an Athletic institution.

@Loyal Coug1 , with this agreement apparently in place for the PAC, have you seen or heard what the plans might be for OSU and WSU moving forward? I'd guess it's a bit early for that, but just curious what you're hearing on your end.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
@Loyal Coug1 , with this agreement apparently in place for the PAC, have you seen or heard what the plans might be for OSU and WSU moving forward? I'd guess it's a bit early for that, but just curious what you're hearing on your end.

I dunno, and am not really as connected as I used to be (worked at my alma mater for 17 years, but that ended a decade+ ago). I am so not in favor of this 2 year WCC pending agreement for our non-FB and Baseball sports. Don't know if you guys have seen that yet. WTF does that do for us?

This PAC agreement seems to be good news. with the traitors agreeing for a reduction in 23-24 payouts, and the Pac-2 keeping all other mystery assets. Gawd I just so want to go down there and say "hey, I was a competent accountant for 38 years, let me figure out your books". The alleged money number just goes up and down, up and down. Like a seesaw.

Anyway, I have no info on our plans going forward other than limping along with you guys and this WCC nonsense for two years while we harbor our stupid dreams about one of the P4 conferences picking us up, or merging across the entire country with the potentially imploding ACC. Wet dream and stupid. Take your pick. I still believe that we will do the reverse merger with the MW. It's our only realistic option. My board mates laughed at my suggestion a while back that we should negotiate an "affiliate" agreement with you guys in FB. Hmmm, guess I was correct.

As an aside, hope it's OK if I hang out here more often. I don't do social media in general, so the fan boards are pretty much my outlet. Currently in kind of a fight with the panty wearing, woke group on my board, over a couple of posts I made (while drunk) that offended a bunch of them. Not sure why threatening (obviously not a real threat) to track down and shoot one poster who just would not quit insulting me would upset anyone. I apologized later. Or referring to our POS AD Pat Chun as Charlie Chan. "Oh you are a racist". Charlie Chan was a very respectable character. How is referring to one Asian by another Asians name racist? And they just won't let it go. I practice board amnesia. I don't give a shit who said what yesterday or the day, week month or year before. Get up the next day and engage in the next topic. But some of these guys bring up some random post from 10 years ago and chap my ass with it.

Anyway, feel free to say it is OK or tell me to go away. If I get to stay, I'll tell the story of my ill-fated attempt to road trip down to the CSU game. It's pretty funny.

Off to the dog park with my mutt.

I dunno, and am not really as connected as I used to be (worked at my alma mater for 17 years, but that ended a decade+ ago). I am so not in favor of this 2 year WCC pending agreement for our non-FB and Baseball sports. Don't know if you guys have seen that yet. WTF does that do for us?

This PAC agreement seems to be good news. with the traitors agreeing for a reduction in 23-24 payouts, and the Pac-2 keeping all other mystery assets. Gawd I just so want to go down there and say "hey, I was a competent accountant for 38 years, let me figure out your books". The alleged money number just goes up and down, up and down. Like a seesaw.

Anyway, I have no info on our plans going forward other than limping along with you guys and this WCC nonsense for two years while we harbor our stupid dreams about one of the P4 conferences picking us up, or merging across the entire country with the potentially imploding ACC. Wet dream and stupid. Take your pick. I still believe that we will do the reverse merger with the MW. It's our only realistic option. My board mates laughed at my suggestion a while back that we should negotiate an "affiliate" agreement with you guys in FB. Hmmm, guess I was correct.

As an aside, hope it's OK if I hang out here more often. I don't do social media in general, so the fan boards are pretty much my outlet. Currently in kind of a fight with the panty wearing, woke group on my board, over a couple of posts I made (while drunk) that offended a bunch of them. Not sure why threatening (obviously not a real threat) to track down and shoot one poster who just would not quit insulting me would upset anyone. I apologized later. Or referring to our POS AD Pat Chun as Charlie Chan. "Oh you are a racist". Charlie Chan was a very respectable character. How is referring to one Asian by another Asians name racist? And they just won't let it go. I practice board amnesia. I don't give a shit who said what yesterday or the day, week month or year before. Get up the next day and engage in the next topic. But some of these guys bring up some random post from 10 years ago and chap my ass with it.

Anyway, feel free to say it is OK or tell me to go away. If I get to stay, I'll tell the story of my ill-fated attempt to road trip down to the CSU game. It's pretty funny.

Always welcome here Coug. Keep us in the loop if you do hear anything coming down the pipe. Personally, I think a new / merged conference would be a good option, so I'm hoping it goes that way. Have still heard rumors of WSU and OSU getting gobbled up with the B12 when they bring in some of the ACC teams. Who knows though, it's so crazy.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Good For You Thumbs Up GIF by paidoff

• Haha

Bottom line any sort of full merger with the MW probably was not happening for another couple of years. The TV contract is ending then, and to maximize revenue for everyone it would be better to wait.
Joining the WCC as a stop gap is not a bad move. Obviously the basketball side has some meat in it, at least at the top, and it is a pretty good regional fit.

If the PAC decided to cherry pick select teams to make a new PAC instead of a more traditional merger this 2 year period allows you to test drive both the MW and the WCC. You only need 8 teams to be a conference, and in order to maximize per team revenue, cherry picking is probably the best bet. There is some dead weight in the MW that would ultimately reduce per team revenue for you guys if a full merger happened.

Why the WCC could be fruitful is that you would want more than 8-10 teams for basketball purposes. So adding Gonzaga, St. Mary's, maybe USF for non football sports could also be a good move. Those teams would listen to that since they have a LOOOOT of dead weight in their conference, so a new PAC would increase revenue and SOS for those schools.

Also, how did our guy Kyle Williams do for you all this season. I saw that he started out really well, but lost touch. We could have really used him this year. Having a second go to WR would have opened things up big time for us.

Bottom line any sort of full merger with the MW probably was not happening for another couple of years. The TV contract is ending then, and to maximize revenue for everyone it would be better to wait.
Joining the WCC as a stop gap is not a bad move. Obviously the basketball side has some meat in it, at least at the top, and it is a pretty good regional fit.

If the PAC decided to cherry pick select teams to make a new PAC instead of a more traditional merger this 2 year period allows you to test drive both the MW and the WCC. You only need 8 teams to be a conference, and in order to maximize per team revenue, cherry picking is probably the best bet. There is some dead weight in the MW that would ultimately reduce per team revenue for you guys if a full merger happened.

Why the WCC could be fruitful is that you would want more than 8-10 teams for basketball purposes. So adding Gonzaga, St. Mary's, maybe USF for non football sports could also be a good move. Those teams would listen to that since they have a LOOOOT of dead weight in their conference, so a new PAC would increase revenue and SOS for those schools.

Also, how did our guy Kyle Williams do for you all this season. I saw that he started out really well, but lost touch. We could have really used him this year. Having a second go to WR would have opened things up big time for us.
Well let's see. Played in all 12 games, 61 catches for 842 yards and 6 TD's

Well test driving the WCC is a non-starter in my book. First of all I and most Cougs hate Gonzaga. A basketball team with a 2nd rate school attached to it. 75 miles away but quit playing us in BB because as their coach publicly stated, "we don't play bottom feeders". Uh. like 2/3rds of your conference you pompous POS?

Personal feelings aside, no way to any permanent league arrangement with schools that don't play FB. Period.

I would vastly prefer an all sport test drive with you guys. No idea why that didn't happen.

Good points though. :)

"No idea why that didn't happen."

Money... it always comes down to money. I'm guessing there was some legal reason like strengthening the case to keep the Pac12 control. Something like a full affiliation looks like they too have abandoned the conference etc..

Chip Kelly had an interesting idea. Essentially he suggested that there should only be 2 conferences. A "power 5" and a "group of 5". You play 6 or 7 regionally relevant opponents every year and 3 or 4 non regional opponents. Then at end of season there's like a 32 team tournament to decide national championship.

I think if you take that and add what futbol does with promotion/relegation where we swap the bottom half of power with the top half of group every season or two, it would be interesting.

Where are they all going?

V Tech, NC St, Duke.. not exactly huge draws in football.

It really feels like there is something behind the scenes going on.

Ultimate goal to break off/away from the NCAA with something new.

As dysfunctional as the NCAA can be, I'm not so sure that what potentially is coming down the road is better.

The way things are possibly shaping up, we could legitimately see two massive conferences SEC/BIG with everybody else outside looking.

In regards to VA Tech they may have the greatest pre game hype video/tradition in college football with Enter Sandman.

It really feels like there is something behind the scenes going on.

Ultimate goal to break off/away from the NCAA with something new.

As dysfunctional as the NCAA can be, I'm not so sure that what potentially is coming down the road is better.

The way things are possibly shaping up, we could legitimately see two massive conferences SEC/BIG with everybody else outside looking.

In regards to VA Tech they may have the greatest pre game hype video/tradition in college football with Enter Sandman.
You might as well have an intro sung by Perry Como. Metallica was cool when I was in high school over 30 years ago (this hurt to type, by the way).

In defense to that area of the world, they still have Bruce Springsteen playing nonstop.

We at least have DJ Too Loud to Enjoy the Atmosphere to appeal to the kids during our hoops games.

Chip Kelly had an interesting idea. Essentially he suggested that there should only be 2 conferences. A "power 5" and a "group of 5". You play 6 or 7 regionally relevant opponents every year and 3 or 4 non regional opponents. Then at end of season there's like a 32 team tournament to decide national championship.

I think if you take that and add what futbol does with promotion/relegation where we swap the bottom half of power with the top half of group every season or two, it would be interesting.
Futbol? has this become a soccer board? :)

Reactions: RebelinWA
I do my best to give information when I hear it. We had a few threads about the last FSU board of Trustees meeting. They were looking at Hedge Funds managements for Financing options. The ACC exit fees are $572 Millon as mentioned in the meeting. FSU believes that the Grant of Rights is Uninforceable and will ask the court for relief. This is going to be a very long process.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT