ADVERTISEMENT

Media

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
Late last night as I was drifting off, I stumbled across something that was tweeted by Geoff Grammer as a must read. He didn't write it but was pointing out it was worth a read. I typically don't read all that much online "news" because it seems like everything comes with such a slant and half and quarter truths. I've been distrustful of most media the past decade or two. But I did click on it. I didn't finish it because it was rather long and I drifted off.

Basically, it was an article that massacred Noodles. Now I'm no Noodles fan, I think he's a joke. And I thought it was a bad hire for UNM from the very start.

Even though the article touched on some of the on court difficulties, it really tried smashing his character. It appeared a ton of work went into the article, a lot of interviews with former players and coaches. All with the aim of painting Neal as an erratic, unpredictable, petty, vindictive egomaniac.

To me it looked like a hatchet job trying to assasinate his character at the most opportune moment. Which, I think, is very low.

They guy may well be a creep. He might not be well liked in many circles. It's not like there was anything criminal (that I read, anyway, but I didn't finish it). It just painted the guy as extremely difficult and quirky. Personally, I didn't find it to be anything extraordinary. You can do an expose on just about any coach, any person, and paint it in the light you choose. I know of other coaches described as Neal in this piece. And personality variants that are basically the same. I don't think it's all that big of a deal, myself. In fact, if Neal were winning, this piece would have never been done, IMO. And that's where my problem is, I guess. The MO, the timing.

Based on the quotes, this article could have been released weeks ago, months ago, hell, a couple of seasons ago. But it was chosen to be released now, while his seat is at its hottest since he's been at UNM. And I think that's pretty low. Pushing an agenda, biding your time, waiting for the most opportune moment to stir the masses and make things more difficult. It's why I don't trust media in general.

Since I didn't finish it, maybe I'm talking out of my ass but it seemed pretty clear the path the writer was taking us down. Some of it was ... The results aren't good enough ... but he should be fired because he's an ass... or at least let this add fuel to the fire.

I'm sure it'll stir up Lobo fans into a frenzy. Not as much as in the past... the recent election and all the sensationalism, I think people are a little desensitized to this type of journalism.

To me, the article had the opposite effect. While I'm no fan of Neal, the writer tried pointing out how petty Neal is, and the message I got was the writer was even more petty.

Somebody might want to link it?

Reactions: CRhodes1983
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News