ADVERTISEMENT

McCaw

sandracer250

Walk On
Jun 9, 2011
This team goes as McCaw goes. If rice realizes he needs to run him at point for 30 min a game then there is hope. Doolin just dribbles around too much (partly rices fault because there aren't any plays) and then cannot create his own shot or get into the lane for a dish or alleyoop. He does the little things, has intangibles, and the defense has to play him honestly because of his offensive ability. We will go as McCaw goes.

This post was edited on 12/23 11:27 PM by sandracer250

There was no doubt he would find something to say Rice needs to do.

Say what you want about him but that is his 8th win against a ranked opponent in a young coaching career. He can win the big games.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Doolin was suffering from the flu on Saturday and this is only 3 days later. I'm not surprised that he is having his worst games right now.

Doolin has come up huge this season at the critical moments of close games.

True He did against Portland but other than that I don't remember him making huge plays. He just doesn't run the team like a pg should. I just think we are a better team with mccaw at point. It opens the floor for wood to drive like he did all night long.

Brewer just wrote article on the sun saying he thinks unlv better team and offensively with mccaw at point. Yes doolin dribbles a lot and it is unnecessary and goes nowhere unfortunately failing to create shots for others or himself.

I think the offense flowed so much better with Macaw running the point tonight. Doolin doesn't attack as much, dribbles to much, and picks up his dribble to early. Macaw has downsides to and Doolin has done some great things for us this year also. I like both. Very excited about Macaw though.

Pat McCaw is a baller. How he flew so far under the radar is amazing to me. Enjoying watching him get better, seemingly nightly.

Pat was one of the difference makers last might. Love his game, composure, and I got this sttitude - he wants ball can handle the pressure. Man crush on Pat.

I've been impressed with McCaw. Minus his lazy pass at the end that about blew it. Then turning over again after that. Rookie mistakes. Thankfully AZ couldn't make those baskets. Doolin did great start of the season, but it seems when McCaw is in there we make some nice runs. Freshman with a ton of upside and potential.

Regardless, it's nice to be in a spot with 2 PGs that can run things.

McCaw had a good game. It's hard to compare him to Doolin though. Completely different styles of players. McCaw isn't as protective of the basketball as Doolin and definitely has some lazy passes (Wood does as well from the top of the key). I actually like both of them on the floor at the same time, with Kendrick out.

Doolin was ill. Ask Bobby Hurley what it's like to play point when you're sick.

That being said, he has opened the door for McCaw, and McCaw stepped through. So, we won't need 38 minutes/game from Doolin anymore.

However, it's not like McCaw is going to send Doolin to the bench. We need plenty from both of them, and they also fit well on the floor at the same time.

We will need both.. Doolin is going to be valuable against SDSU and their backcourt press, McCaw against teams with quick PGs like KU... Looking forward to see the McCaw vs. Mason matchup, both young energy guards..

Pat can learn alot from watching Cody still. The guy is a 4 year starter and knows how to run a team. He is just built more for a slower offense than we need to run.

If Pat learns how to run a tean like Cody and throw in his natural ability and instincts, he will be one hell of a player.

Originally posted by rebelluver:
Pat can learn alot from watching Cody still. The guy is a 4 year starter and knows how to run a team. He is just built more for a slower offense than we need to run.

If Pat learns how to run a tean like Cody and throw in his natural ability and instincts, he will be one hell of a player.
Can certainly all work out well. Lots of good promising things can come.

And Doolin, although on the bench, when the camera panned that way he was always up and cheering. Seems a great team player.

Originally posted by YellowSpinE:

Originally posted by rebelluver:

And Doolin, although on the bench, when the camera panned that way he was always up and cheering. Seems a great team player.
Great point, glad others noticed that. Thats the kind of example you want your seniors to set, even when they're struggling.
I for one love the attitude and general demeanor of this team. Cody has a lot to do with that. So does coaching.

Some coaches can handle teams with attitude issues better than others, and Rice hasn't gotten the job done in that department the last two years. No excuses, that's on him. You sign a kid, you've gotta coach him up, so choose wisely. This year's team is a different story however, and appears MUCH more coachable as a group.

Gottlieb seems to agree....
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/writer/doug-gottlieb/24915859/unlvs-gameplan-works-in-upset-of-no-3-arizona

Originally posted by Moscurry91:
Gottlieb seems to agree....
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/writer/doug-gottlieb/24915859/unlvs-gameplan-works-in-upset-of-no-3-arizona
Great read, thanks for the post.

"All in all, it was a huge win for Rice who in watching tape, practice and the game has reclaimed his program. Even if Rashad Vaughn goes pro (he is only 18 and needs more time, but man can he score) UNLV appears to have turned the corner with Max Good and Ryan Miller really helping build some toughness and having a more clearly defined offensive identity. I know UNLV's krypotinte is a 2-3 zone, but Im encouraged by so many little signs and a much better overall program attitude than last season."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT