I'll try and keep it short

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
but it won't be.

I took a couple days to collect my thoughts (j/k).

First off, I'm sure many of you already understand this much because you've been here awhile. There are times when I have good reason and don't say a word and let things play out. Sometimes I know absolutely nothing on a subject and I'll just offer opinion. Sometimes I've had enough and blow off steam. But many times, and this whole coach thing has been one of those times, where I cannot say a lot, but I'm able to kind of guide people through the process. Sometimes that calls for diffusing bs. Of course, my word doesn't have to mean anything more than somebody else's if you think I'm full of garbage. I've got no problem with that.

I also wanted to point out that this forum is what we all make it. I feel everyone here, whether active or lurking, does have some responsibility. Calling out posters or posts, throwing it in people's faces, belittling them for it - hey, that's your choice, but the entire forum suffers because info starts to dry up. We've seen in happen over time here. People get sick of getting "blamed" when things don't work out. As if they were trying to string you along and then disappoint you. I've got a thick skin, I couldn't care less, I let the chips fall where they may. If you believe something, fine. If you don't, fine. But remember, don't cry for more info when you chase people away, especially during very fluid processes.

Ok. So some think we were used by every coach. Or that UNLV didn't try hard enough. Or that there was never any interest or wasn't as serious as it's been made out to be. You can point to past disappointments to support your belief. Whatever. Please keep in mind where UNLV is in the grand scheme. This isn't 1990 and residents on Sierra Vista Avenue have more disposable income. I just don't think many other schools in a similar situation could court this level of coach for this long.

I can tell you this is being worked very hard from every angle. Coaches or agents for coaches you wouldn't expect were contacted or created contact. There were a lot of high level (P5) "not interested" responses. There are lower levels/mid levels chomping to get the job, as expected.

Dixon. Ok. People think it was fake. No. It was absolutely real. Buyout was a major hurdle. Not even a hurdle. It was a showstopper. Because the season was ongoing, because he was slipping with Pitt, because Pitt wasn't overly eager to hold onto him, that makes the buyout more flexible, in general. You can't gauge that in Nov, Dec, Jan or Feb. ONLY WHEN THE SEASON ENDS. I can't recall how many times I stated to wait until the end of the season for firming up or losing grip. In the end, any significant buyout was too steep for UNLV. In terms of contract, UNLV was good. In terms of Jamie coaching UNLV, we were good. But that last obstacle was way too much.

For Underwood - I feel VERY strongly with this one because UNLV was on it early. Far, far before the Southland conference tourney. Had OSU not opened and had SFA fizzled in the first round, Underwood would be at UNLV. UNLV went all in. OSU can pay more than UNLV and that region is his sweet spot. It was just bad luck on UNLV's part. If a team gives thier best effort, most of us can live with the results, even though it sucks.

Cronin - everyone ran the gamut of emotions today. Again, in spite of the naysayers, it's real and has been real. I think between everything that's been tweeted, written, etc, the picture is clear. He's undecided and it's not an easy decision for him. I don't have a timeframe but the ball is in his court. It's a situation where UNLV has done all they can do. And to be honest, even if they could afford more, I don't think that would make it more likely to happen. It's a very tough and personal decision for him and if we put ourselves in his shoes, I'm sure we could appreciate it. Cincy is fighting very hard to keep him, as they should. UNLV has played thier hand. I wish I had a good feel for how it will go.

And there have been others. And guess what? There are more. As I'm sure you can guess, the "sexiness" level will go down. And, as UNLV fans do (I should say all fans do), people will freak. But who are we kidding? Had SFA not won an NCAA game, people would have freaked if we got Underwood. Or if we got Dixon, a lot of people would have freaked because of the Pitt fizzle. And some will probably freak if we get Cronin. There's always going to be divide, sadly. But if UNLV misses with Cronin, we'll cross the next bridge. What else can you do?

I'll also say this. Everyone has to deal with it, but the age of social media can have a profound impact on these things, just like recruiting. So much gets out, people have to react, reflect and deflect and it just puts people in a real defensive stance. Just look at Jamie's UNLV question/response a couple weeks ago. That certainly didn't kill the deal but you could easily see where things like social media/quick release of info can have an impact. It's like cheating on your present wife in a crowded room (no, we aren't getting Pitino).

I can't predict what is going to happen from here on out just like I couldn't from the start. We are talking lots of money, heavy human emotion and life altering decisions. And not just for one person. Almost anything goes. But from my stance, I think belittling the efforts and the process is really close minded and, quite frankly, wrong.

That's it, for now. Sorry it took so long. I'm always on daddy duty but tonight, it was by myself and I had trouble breaking away.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News