ADVERTISEMENT

If we win this game…

If I remember correctly we beat UNM at the Pit and it did little to affect the season!
I think we will get them again.

This is what I’m talking about with the MWC top teams. Solid, not great, don’t care if there’s a ranking there or not. CSU, don’t buy it. Don’t buy USU either. I’m not saying we will win, but there’s nothing “oh no” about any of these teams, even SDSU.

I think the chase for the top couple of spots will be ultra tight this year, probably more than any other. I think everyone is going to beat everyone, none of these 2 loss conference winners. I can see a real logjam. I just want to make it into the top 5.

Reactions: LVRebel2000

This is what I’m talking about with the MWC top teams. Solid, not great, don’t care if there’s a ranking there or not. CSU, don’t buy it. Don’t buy USU either. I’m not saying we will win, but there’s nothing “oh no” about any of these teams, even SDSU.

I think the chase for the top couple of spots will be ultra tight this year, probably more than any other. I think everyone is going to beat everyone, none of these 2 loss conference winners. I can see a real logjam. I just want to make it into the top 5.
This could happen making the next two months mighty interesting!

I wanted him gone after last season. Then I looked at the players that were coming in and said this could get interesting so I pulled back on firing him. Pre-conference play with the exception of Creighton was underwhelming. So, I went back to the thought that we aren't going anywhere with this guy leading. I'm going to stick with that even after last nights win over NM. I need more convincing.

I don’t think things change game to game. I think it’s an overall body of the season and three seasons. I don’t think the win helped any more than the loss at SDSU hurt.

UNLV’s going to do what they’re going to do, whether we want him to stay or whether we want him gone. Fans aren’t going to have an impact on any decision, there are few left to have an impact, imo. Screaming extend him or fire him online, though we may think how loudly we yell it online actually matters, it doesn’t.

So I just sit back, whatever happens, happens. And then you move forward hoping it was the right decision ….

Games vs these top few teams are not the ones that decided Kevin's fate. I want to see what happens when we play like Fresno or SJSU and we come out flat and lose a game we absolutely shouldnt in embarrassing fashion. Its seems easy for our bigger named players to show up vs the bigger named top tier schools, but we always seem to drop mentally the game we shouldnt and thats the thing that keeps us from March and the tournament.

absolutely NOT

We just match up well against UNM - We will lose a lot of games in the near future in conference - The seat will only get hotter before you know it
UNM is similar to us last year, imo. I think we will see a couple conference teams like that, revealed as pretenders within the first few weeks of conference play. Gaudy OOC record and good metrics and they fall back to earth in conference.

We won’t be revealed as such because we never pretended out of the gate. But a couple of schools … I think UNM will be one of them, they aren’t a good team from what I’ve seen … maybe UNR, Boise, Utah State, Colorado State (conference is SDSU’s until proven otherwise, they’re a system program) … at least one of those will fall back to be pretty mediocre.

Reactions: rebelwithacause
Games vs these top few teams are not the ones that decided Kevin's fate. I want to see what happens when we play like Fresno or SJSU and we come out flat and lose a game we absolutely shouldnt in embarrassing fashion. Its seems easy for our bigger named players to show up vs the bigger named top tier schools, but we always seem to drop mentally the game we shouldnt and thats the thing that keeps us from March and the tournament.
100%. It seems to have plagued the program since Rice. Coaching issue imho.

What is a surprise is to see 3 MWC teams ranked in the top 25 at the same time. After the game verse New Mexico, I look over their record and couldn't find a strong win in their record. Did they play any top 40 teams with the exception of CSU who they lost to a week ago?

Without question I give them props for winning the game. I like Kruger and hope he can figure things out, but that will only work if he can find a way to keep the team playing at their best for the entire game instead of for just parts of the game. 8-6 is a long ways from being a successful team.

If UNLV finishes in the top 4 in conference his seat should get significantly cooler. Does that guarantee him staying? Nope. But that kind of finish could get us at least in the NIT conversation. Top 2 or 3 could even punch a ticket to the big dance.

We match up well with UNM just as we match up poorly with SDSU.

Considering UNM was 12-1 OOC and had NO quad 1 or 2 wins says something to their schedule. And they were just as bad last season. St mary's was their onyl quad 1 or 2 game and they lost.

Rebel Net would break the internet if that happened here.

If UNLV finishes in the top 4 in conference his seat should get significantly cooler. Does that guarantee him staying? Nope. But that kind of finish could get us at least in the NIT conversation. Top 2 or 3 could even punch a ticket to the big dance.

We match up well with UNM just as we match up poorly with SDSU.

Considering UNM was 12-1 OOC and had NO quad 1 or 2 wins says something to their schedule. And they were just as bad last season. St mary's was their onyl quad 1 or 2 game and they lost.

Rebel Net would break the internet if that happened here.
Yet their fans celebrate it. It’s wild how insane those Lobo fans are.

Dave Bliss did it for years, schedule nobody, play nobody on the road, get a 14-1 ranking and a top 20 and they thought they were special. And they were mediocre to good, at best. And it fooled those fools every single season.

And it still does.

Exhibit A - Southern
Exhibit B - Loyola Marymount

Exhibit A - Southern
Exhibit B - Loyola Marymount
Note UCLz (hate them so much I never put the A in there), lost to cal state Northridge this year and pulled out a close win over riverside. Would you call Cronin a bad coach as he lost to some cupcakes? I would not.

I get that CKK teams offenses and rebounding have always sucked, and he has recruited many poor players, and ran off a couple players who were good. I would look at that more than look at 2 bad losses.

• Haha
Reactions: RebelScrub
Note UCLz (hate them so much I never put the A in there), lost to cal state Northridge this year and pulled out a close win over riverside. Would you call Cronin a bad coach as he lost to some cupcakes? I would not.

I get that CKK teams offenses and rebounding have always sucked, and he has recruited many poor players, and ran off a couple players who were good. I would look at that more than look at 2 bad losses.
It’s funny how a final four and two sweet sixteens in your first three years buys you more rope than no post seasons and a 500 record buys you.

It’s funny how a final four and two sweet sixteens in your first three years buys you more rope than no post seasons and a 500 record buys you.
It didnt buy Alford much time at UCLA and it wont buy Cronin much either. At UCLA you are supposed to have back to back undefeated seasons and win the Natty 75% of the time.

It didnt buy Alford much time at UCLA and it wont buy Cronin much either. At UCLA you are supposed to have back to back undefeated seasons and win the Natty 75% of the time.
But it’s going to buy a hell of a lot more time than playing 500 ball, no? If Cronin gave us what he gave UCLA in his first three years there, Rebel fans would be giddy and being where we are at this season, he’d get a free pass from the fans, not a hotseat. It’s not like Southern and LMU are the only bad losses, let’s not rewrite history to make it sound like this is the only year with bad losses and the only year with struggles.

I'm not disagreeing with this part, either. Maybe this happening to him annually, as well as the many "bad losses" that have occurred on his watch, are why he's lost the confidence of many of us fans, even those who have been diehards throughout the years.

Cronin has reached the NCAA's at several schools. CKK hasn't even been invited to an NIT. HUGE difference between the two.

But it’s going to buy a hell of a lot more time than playing 500 ball, no? If Cronin gave us what he gave UCLA in his first three years there, Rebel fans would be giddy and being where we are at this season, he’d get a free pass from the fans, not a hotseat. It’s not like Southern and LMU are the only bad losses, let’s not rewrite history to make it sound like this is the only year with bad losses and the only year with struggles.
I dont know. How long did Alford last? 5 seasons with 3 sweet 16's to be exact.

In hindsight we should have swallowed our pride and disgust with Alford and hired him many hirings ago (I can’t remember anymore when that was exactly). The program would have been much better off and I suspect we’d have parted ways after 4-5 years and few Trny runs.

In hindsight we should have swallowed our pride and disgust with Alford and hired him many hirings ago (I can’t remember anymore when that was exactly). The program would have been much better off and I suspect we’d have parted ways after 4-5 years and few Trny runs.
John Scherer flew here for an interview but UNLV scoffed at him. I would take Scherer long before I would consider Hurley and Alford.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT