ADVERTISEMENT

I wonder how many years they give CKK??!!

Under Tark we were a top 10 program.

Under Rollie, top 50

Under Bayno, top 75

Under Spoon, top 75

Under Kruger, top 40

Under Rice, top 50

Under Menzies, top 200

Under Otz, top 200

Can’t comment on Kevin yet but we are nowhere near top 75, probably top 150 for this year.

My point is it has been awhile.
That was my point previously too. The best we've been in the past 10 years was under CDR, and he got fired. Since that time, we have not been good. If you hire a first time head coach, you have to expect that there is going to be some growing pains. CKK came in late, with a pretty depleted roster, and at least assembled a decent roster, to be competitive. No, that's not my idea of success, but if we were hoping to win right away, I think we needed to go after Pitino, or some other high profile coach that would bring in studs right away.

However, even if you do that, you're not guaranteed success. Look at Penny Hardaway in Memphis. They got some of the top talents in the country to go there, and have greatly underperformed. Last season, they got the #3 and #7 overall, 5 star high school recruits, as well as 3 other 4 star recruits. The year before, they got one 5 star and one 4 star recruit. In 2019, they got three 5 star recuits and four 4 star recruits, so there definitely has been no lack of talent. Despite that though, currently, they're 10-8, and lost 3 of the last 4 games to UCF, East Carolina and SMU. They also lost to Murray State, Tulane, Ole Miss, etc. Last year, they went to the NIT after finishing with a 16-8 regular season.

So do you fire Penny since he's trending in the wrong direction? Seems very similar to the CDR situation when he was here.

That was my point previously too. The best we've been in the past 10 years was under CDR, and he got fired. Since that time, we have not been good. If you hire a first time head coach, you have to expect that there is going to be some growing pains. CKK came in late, with a pretty depleted roster, and at least assembled a decent roster, to be competitive. No, that's not my idea of success, but if we were hoping to win right away, I think we needed to go after Pitino, or some other high profile coach that would bring in studs right away.

However, even if you do that, you're not guaranteed success. Look at Penny Hardaway in Memphis. They got some of the top talents in the country to go there, and have greatly underperformed. Last season, they got the #3 and #7 overall, 5 star high school recruits, as well as 3 other 4 star recruits. The year before, they got one 5 star and one 4 star recruit. In 2019, they got three 5 star recuits and four 4 star recruits, so there definitely has been no lack of talent. Despite that though, currently, they're 10-8, and lost 3 of the last 4 games to UCF, East Carolina and SMU. They also lost to Murray State, Tulane, Ole Miss, etc. Last year, they went to the NIT after finishing with a 16-8 regular season.

So do you fire Penny since he's trending in the wrong direction? Seems very similar to the CDR situation when he was here.
It’s very similar to

It’s very similar to Rice.

You ride it out with him since he can get talent which is vital to success and not everyone can do it well. He’s a new coach too, you give him every opportunity because if he does get the rest to fall into place, he’s going to be a S16 regular. When a coach excels at nothing, like Munchies, you give them the boot. If they show promise in an area or two, depending on the school, you ride it out as long as you can.

Under Tark we were a top 10 program.

Under Rollie, top 50

Under Bayno, top 75

Under Spoon, top 75

Under Kruger, top 40

Under Rice, top 50

Under Menzies, top 200

Under Otz, top 200

Can’t comment on Kevin yet but we are nowhere near top 75, probably top 150 for this year.

My point is it has been awhile.
With the heart of our schedule in MWC play coming i would be shocked if we dont END up close to 200 or higher.

Chris Mack is available!
I'm leary of midwest coaches. They seem to have a mindset that makes them utterly incompatible with living much less coaching in Las Vegas. Lon was an anomoly. I suspect most will be like Otz and that ass clown Beard at Texas and just half ass it until a prime midwest spot opens up. Coaching wise I liked the way Wichita played under Mack though. Had a reputation for building tough as nails teams.

I'm leary of midwest coaches. They seem to have a mindset that makes them utterly incompatible with living much less coaching in Las Vegas. Lon was an anomoly. I suspect most will be like Otz and that ass clown Beard at Texas and just half ass it until a prime midwest spot opens up. Coaching wise I liked the way Wichita played under Mack though. Had a reputation for building tough as nails teams.
Mack coached Xavier.

Reactions: rebel5280
Have always liked him.
Yeah I agree, I think he's a real good coach but the expectations there at Louisville are real high, especially having to follow Pitino! I wish we would have given Archie Miller a shot, he also was let go after 3 years!! Some of these places have crazy expectations!

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Miller and Mack both were very successful at smaller programs I always thought that you could possibly get one of these guys to come to UNLV after being let go at a major power 5 school. Not that they failed but the place has crazy high expectations, they would have a chip on a shoulder with something to prove!

It’s very similar to

It’s very similar to Rice.

You ride it out with him since he can get talent which is vital to success and not everyone can do it well. He’s a new coach too, you give him every opportunity because if he does get the rest to fall into place, he’s going to be a S16 regular. When a coach excels at nothing, like Munchies, you give them the boot. If they show promise in an area or two, depending on the school, you ride it out as long as you can.
Munchies as you call him certainly got better players in here than the coaches after him after his first year which should not count as he was hired so late in recruiting. Not saying he was great, just pointing out him and his staff could find talent better than what has come after him. If not for Muchies recruit Hamilton this year, they would be around 5 wins at best.

Munchies as you call him certainly got better players in here than the coaches after him after his first year which should not count as he was hired so late in recruiting. Not saying he was great, just pointing out him and his staff could find talent better than what has come after him. If not for Muchies recruit Hamilton this year, they would be around 5 wins at best.
Munchies was smoke and mirrors, using the press, using funny quips to deflect, he was more about Drai’s than he was about basketball. Scheduled absolute nobodies to inflate the records, talked about “winnin’ time”, which was always the point of the game where we fell apart and couldn’t score.

I’m not saying Otz was better, he may not be, it’s certainly debatable who was worse here.

But when crowds go from 10k plus to 4K to 3k to now 2k … it says something about the product. And the drop means you lost die hard fans and you didn’t get any new fans.

Munchies was smoke and mirrors, using the press, using funny quips to deflect, he was more about Drai’s than he was about basketball. Scheduled absolute nobodies to inflate the records, talked about “winnin’ time”, which was always the point of the game where we fell apart and couldn’t score.

I’m not saying Otz was better, he may not be, it’s certainly debatable who was worse here.

But when crowds go from 10k plus to 4K to 3k to now 2k … it says something about the product. And the drop means you lost die hard fans and you didn’t get any new fans.
Yeah, and it's always harder to bring back people once they leave. Hopefully it will, but we definitely need some excitement to get things going. Maybe next year. Also, they need to take away that vax mandate!

OTZ was WAY better. Did he mail it in after 1st season? YEA! Atleast we got better as the season went on in his first year. Had 2 freshman coming in here that would be starting now. You could tell he could coach. Menzies it looked like street ball. Do what you want. That is why we would get BLOWN out by any decent teams. Menzies was a good recuiter. The African players was luck because no one recuited them. That is why they both left for BIGGER programs after Menzies was FIRED! Plus the Center that was $$. I

OTZ was WAY better. Did he mail it in after 1st season? YEA! Atleast we got better as the season went on in his first year. Had 2 freshman coming in here that would be starting now. You could tell he could coach. Menzies it looked like street ball. Do what you want. That is why we would get BLOWN out by any decent teams. Menzies was a good recuiter. The African players was luck because no one recuited them. That is why they both left for BIGGER programs after Menzies was FIRED! Plus the Center that was $$. I
The whole Jussie Smollett thing a couple of weeks after the Jussie Smollett thing happened … I was done.

So many people, always a victim, they want zero accountability. They don’t suck, everyone around them sucks.

Excuse making galore. I have zero patience for those types of people. Sadly, it’s what kids are indoctrinated with nowadays. Parents and teachers have failed kids in that regard.

You have to teach - you’re wrong, you f’d up, deal with the consequences, learn from it and move on, get better, get stronger because of it. Not, oh, it’s ok, I can validate you, let me give you warm snuggies, it wasn’t your fault, the teacher made the test unfair, that’s why you failed the exam … the umpire shouldn’t have called that last one a strike, etc.

You really call that offense last year of Otz with that weave with 2 super slow guys as part of the weave that went no where was good coaching? And he ran off Hardy, the one guy who could have made that work a little bit. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Otz was not any better than Menzies.

You really call that offense last year of Otz with that weave with 2 super slow guys as part of the weave that went no where was good coaching? And he ran off Hardy, the one guy who could have made that work a little bit. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Otz was not any better than Menzies.
Way better. Way more disciplined. I said 1st year. Knew he was leaving 2nd year. 1st year showed promise. Got better as season went on. Menzies sucked and that is why he is not coaching anymore.

Here's OTZ perfect training video.

Reactions: j. spilotro
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT