ADVERTISEMENT

How all the UNLV defectors... I mean "transfers out"... did this season

BleedRebelRed90

All American
Oct 10, 2013
FormerRebs_zpsbojrel2l.png
Jamaal Aytes was injured before the season started and never played for BYU.

Bryce Dejean-Jones and Katin Reinhardt both had disciplinary problems and were suspended for games.

BDJ put up big numbers in November and Iowa State fans were even posting here on Rebel-Net that they had won the "BDJ for Rashad Vaughn trade" as they liked to think of it. By the end of the season his scoring has dropped to below what he averaged last year at UNLV (from 13.6 to 11.3) and his assists dropped also. The 31.5% three point accuracy was even worse than the 32.3% he had last year.

Reinhardt's handlers, who sold him as being a "two and done" talent, were unhappy that he was not getting the ballhandling time at UNLV to get him NBA ready. At USC his assist average dropped way off.

Deville Smith had a nice season for Heath Schuler at UT-Martin. His 3PT%, along with those of Reggie Smith and Karam Mashour, remind me what kind of shooting teams we have had in the years leading up to this one.

Savon Goodman wasn't eligible until mid December, but his numbers are solid - 10ppg, 7rpg.

I would take Pat McCaw over Katin.
I would take Rashad Vaughn over BDJ.
I would take Jordan Cornish over Mashour.
I would take Goodluck over Demetris Morant.

Give Dwayne Morgan time... based on character and talent I would take him over Savon Goodman. Both of those two should be all-conference performers two years from now.

great info.

BDJ was dominating early in the season, but the last couple games he had 0 points. only 8 minutes. something has to be going on with him. don't know if there's an injury or Holberg hating him. saw him looking very disinterested in the game while on the bench and during timeouts.

i'm so glad Vanilla Ice went to USC. he was extremely hard to cheer for as a Rebel. always thought he was a tool. wish Hawkins would've beat him down on Tark's court.

i loved Goodman. but he needed to go, gave us a black eye.

Morant sucks and i hope he has nightmares of alligators. pure idiot.

Mashour made a good decision to leave. he was lucky to ever wear a Rebel jersey.

Reggie could jump high.

Deville seemed like a good guy.

Originally posted by the Florian Trout:
great info.

BDJ was dominating early in the season, but the last couple games he had 0 points. only 8 minutes. something has to be going on with him. don't know if there's an injury or Holberg hating him. saw him looking very disinterested in the game while on the bench and during timeouts.
He got out played by a younger guy and his value as a team payer dropped.... Lets be honest, we all know his issues, they tried to hide them at ISU and it worked a couple of times but the real BDJ comes out with bad shots and TO's... and Hoiberg has better options so he sits...

Nice rundown...Thx

Not sure I miss anybody on this list. Maybe Deville as a 6th man but I'm not sure he would've settled for that role. But I'm really missing Kendall Smith though...I wish he would've stayed to be a 4-year guy..

Kendall wouldve found playing time... Its disappointing he got discouraged early and then hurt... Definitely could've been a contributor right now. As for The rest, Savon is the only one where we are missing him but he couldnt stay... Its not like he was forced from the team, but by his choices needed a change... Wish he was here too. But everyone else, eh...

I agree. Goodman I always liked as a player and we could have used him but there was no other option at that point. Deville... From what I understand had a problem with putting in the work that was expected of him so there was reason to run him off.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

i am one who is so glad Kendall Smith is gone. not a good player whatsoever. at his best he'd be 10% of what Anthony Marshall was. terrible attitude and cocky for absolutely no reason. Cheaney is a better player than him.

I was thinking about this the other day when I saw Mashour play. I agree with the other picks the OP has except cornish and Mashour.

Look at his last half of the season, and his numbers jump up. I don't know if that's because the coach played him more or what, but he took a giant leap forward.

You can read that as he's improved or that it's the level of competition, but either way they've jumped up. Image is last 5 games. edit: added image again
4IcKAA0.png

This post was edited on 3/9 1:40 PM by Doubleyew

I'll still take Cornish over Mashour and it isn't even close.

I'm not taking the season they had, because it's hard to compare a 23-year-old senior 6-6 "stretch four" power forward to a 6-6 wing (Jordan Cornish) who turned 18 in October. If you compare both their freshman years Cornish is clearly superior.

I did mention how looking at the numbers reminded me how poor shooting our teams in recent past were...

Mashour's game is the shortball version of Chris Wood's stretch 4 game, only Mashour played on a team where only three players over 6'3 played so that made him a stretch 4.

Mashour's three-point performance this season was very similar to Chris Wood:
Mashour 20-71 .282 (and 70% from the line)
Wood 24-84 .286

Cornish's numbers:
3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT%
33-68 .485 28-34 .824

I look forward to watching Jordan Cornish develop and his ceiling is very high.

Also it looks like Moorehead State's other 6'6 forward went down in January.

In the final two games of the season only one other player over 6'3 on Karam's team scored - and a total of four points in two games.

the great thing about Mashour was that he tried to dunk everything, absolutely everything.

don't forget about how he insulted Coach Rice. that was a sign.

Article on BDJ's season (and decline) linked below.

Some quotes:

Through the season's first 20 games, Dejean-Jones was one of the
Cyclones' key playmakers. Then he arrived late for Iowa State's contest
against Texas Tech in early February and Jameel McKay forced coach Fred
Hoiberg's hand with a starting debut that was hard to dispel.
Dejean-Jones moved to the bench permanently...

Coming off the bench in seven of the regular season's final eight
games - he started for the Cyclones on Senior Night - Dejean-Jones
averaged 9.6 points, 4.3 rebounds and 1.4 assists per game off the
bench

There have been several recent articles on BDJ and all of the reporters seem to have forgotten about his mid-season arrest. Do you think that if a UNLV player was arrested this season that it would have all been forgiven and forgotten by now by the media?

Dejean-Jones 'Wants to Win'

Originally posted by TomKingsley:
I wish Deville would have stayed he would have given the Rebels a better option at PG this season.
Yeah, those 3 turnovers a game would have been a huge boost to the program. Cody definitely isn't my favorite, but he is a huge upgrade over Deville. That and D Smith was probably my least favorite guard to play at UNLV ever.

Originally posted by Doubleyew:
I was thinking about this the other day when I saw Mashour play. I agree with the other picks the OP has except cornish and Mashour.

Look at his last half of the season, and his numbers jump up. I don't know if that's because the coach played him more or what, but he took a giant leap forward.

You can read that as he's improved or that it's the level of competition, but either way they've jumped up. Image is last 5 games. edit: added image again
ec

This post was edited on 3/9 1:40 PM by Doubleyew
Amazing to see how Mashour was able to navigate that gauntlet of Tennessee Tech, Jacksonville St., Southeast (2 directions is never a good sign) Missouri St. and Tennessee-Martin.

Mashour turned out to be an OK player. And like was pointed out, he is 23. He needed the playing time to improve and get better and I don't think he was going to get that playing time here when he was younger.

It's not as easy as comparing this guy for that guy... the sheer number of players who left the program is concerning. With each guy, there were valid reasons on why he had to go, but its still a lot.

I like our young core of players. I really think Ben Carter is going to bring a lot to the table next year as a physical, blue-collar player. Things are finally starting to click for Morgan. I think Vaughn is going to come back, but I think Wood is going to declare, which will open it up for what I believe will be Zimmerman's commitment.

The pieces should be in place for what should be a make or break year for Rice. I have been a "Rice Guy" since the beginning, but it's at the point where he has to show something.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT