ADVERTISEMENT

Harry Giles cut his list to 7

our bigs always improve.

others here say the following:
1) if our players get better, it's because they work and train while away from the coaches.
2) if another team's player gets better, it's because Coach X develop their players.

our bigs always improve.

others here say the following:
1) if our players get better, it's because they work and train while away from the coaches.
2) if another team's player gets better, it's because Coach X develop their players.

Actually both of those are true in order for a player to get better and develop. Unfortunately, UNLV doesnt have #2. Just out of curiosity, which bigs are you referring to when you say "our bigs always improve." (Besides Wood because he went from playing 10 minutes a game to 35 minutes a game).

hey man, how's it going?

i agree, it does take both (i.e., Morant, Lopez-Sosa)
don't agree that we don't have #2.
don't agree that every team other than UNLV has #2

Massamba
Quintrell
Okonoboh
Birch
Wood

wait, what? Wood's lazy a__ only got better because his minutes increased? Wood went from a NOBODY who got points off of broken plays and not being on scouting reports his freshman year. his sophomore year he ends up being the MAIN guy to stop and he still got his.

unless you go to a lot of practices of a lot of different teams i really don't know how you can argue #2. if you can't see that those players actually got better throughout the year then it's pointless to even discuss.

can you explain your logic about Augmon? this nobody, worked as a player development coach for the Nuggets and he too is worthless and doesn't develop players at all?

i know the Zimmerman's did their homework and thank goodness they didn't tap into your vast knowledge of player development.

hey man, how's it going?

i agree, it does take both (i.e., Morant, Lopez-Sosa)
don't agree that we don't have #2.
don't agree that every team other than UNLV has #2

Massamba
Quintrell
Okonoboh
Birch
Wood

Hey thanks for asking, everything is good. I was really pissed off but now I am much better after getting a good laugh from your post. Thanks for that.

Yes Massamba developed into being able to run and breathe at the same time. Quintrell developed into being able to run and catch the ball at the same time. Okonoboh is a freshman so cant use him as an example. Birch was pretty much same player as he was at Pitt. And I already addressed Wood. So your examples flat out suck.

Oh yea and by the way, Zimmerman didnt come here to be developed by the leading big man developer in the NCAA (Augmon) according to you. Your reason for Zimmerman coming here, if it was a reason at all, was probably last on the list. His tie was to Miller as I stated on this board before anyone else. I dont go on confidential board so dont know what was said over there. His tie wasnt the fact that you think Augmon is the best big man developer in the NCAA...o_O Anyway, good examples. Next time try a little harder and try to come up with some names that are better (oh wait, you cant).

I realize its two weeks old. Just incase some Rebel fans missed it.

I like that he still has us in mind after what went down after the season.

Hey thanks for asking, everything is good. I was really pissed off but now I am much better after getting a good laugh from your post. Thanks for that.

Yes Massamba developed into being able to run and breathe at the same time. Quintrell developed into being able to run and catch the ball at the same time. Okonoboh is a freshman so cant use him as an example. Birch was pretty much same player as he was at Pitt. And I already addressed Wood. So your examples flat out suck.

Oh yea and by the way, Zimmerman didnt come here to be developed by the leading big man developer in the NCAA (Augmon) according to you. Your reason for Zimmerman coming here, if it was a reason at all, was probably last on the list. His tie was to Miller as I stated on this board before anyone else. I dont go on confidential board so dont know what was said over there. His tie wasnt the fact that you think Augmon is the best big man developer in the NCAA...o_O Anyway, good examples. Next time try a little harder and try to come up with some names that are better (oh wait, you cant).

I'm curious, how many practices of the Rebels have you seen?

He also said that he "questioned [my decision] when I didn't get picked." ... He didnt leave because he wasnt going to develop further and thought he had a better chance in the D-league. He left because he thought and his camp thought he was going to get picked and be in the NBA with his skill set.

He also said that he "questioned [my decision] when I didn't get picked." ... He didnt leave because he wasnt going to develop further and thought he had a better chance in the D-league. He left because he thought and his camp thought he was going to get picked and be in the NBA with his skill set.

I remember reading his quotes and him saying he wasnt going to develop his game at UNLV. I could be wrong but it stuck out in my head because of what he said and essentially saying I'm not getting better at UNLV. Well he made the right decision because it seems as though from his stats and playing against better competition, he developed his game.

1) so you do agree that both Massamba and Thomas both got better.
2) you haven't disputed my thoughts on Wood (nothing to marked man to 1st rounder).
3) "Birch was pretty much the same player at Pitt". <--that was ridiculous
4) Goodluck. only you didn't see any progress from start to finish of his freshman year.
5) never said Augmon was the best, but he wasn't fired, did it for 4 years in the NBA. once again, you say nothing to counter.
6) haha on Zimmerman. as if you know jack crap about his thoughts ("probably last on his list"). so if Miller had gone to New Mexico Zimm would he have followed
7) according to you, Miller ALSO knows nothing about developing players too because NO ONE gets better (other than Mass and Q of course).

your debating is the worst i have seen. seriously.

I remember reading his quotes and him saying he wasnt going to develop his game at UNLV. I could be wrong but it stuck out in my head because of what he said and essentially saying I'm not getting better at UNLV. Well he made the right decision because it seems as though from his stats and playing against better competition, he developed his game.
not surprised that's what stuck in your head.

Good thing you are worried so much about the rules, you might have turned to personal attacks.... Oh wait, you just did.

I personally love the part where you accuse him of thinking he knows everything, the proceed to list all of the reasons that you know everything. From which I call bull on most of those reasons by the way.

Out of morbid curiosity, what is it that these people that talk to Rice on a weekly basis tell you exactly? Because that makes it sound as if you have an inside track to his thoughts and that might be valuable information.

Good thing you are worried so much about the rules, you might have turned to personal attacks.... Oh wait, you just did.

I personally love the part where you accuse him of thinking he knows everything, the proceed to list all of the reasons that you know everything. From which I call bull on most of those reasons by the way.

Out of morbid curiosity, what is it that these people that talk to Rice on a weekly basis tell you exactly? Because that makes it sound as if you have an inside track to his thoughts and that might be valuable information.

Never said I knew everything did I? No I didnt, I merely stated I know people, have relationships with certain people and therefore have information and know certain things. Again, nowhere in my post did I say I knew everything? Go back and read my post again.

You can call bull? You do not know me so how can you call bull? And why would I tell you what they say? Are you going to believe me even though you just called bull? Anyways, I dont really care if you believe me or not. I will just agree that Rice is an awesome coach, a great player developer especially with big men (as well as Augmon the NCAA's best), that we will be very successful this year, that it will be nothing like the past four years, we will press and run, and at the very least make it to the NCAA tourney just so we can all get along.

Last edited:
Enough. See what people dont realize is when your own player, Birch, says he cant develop or get any better at UNLV and bolts for the D league, that says it all.
As I recall the D League is still professional basketball, and coaches are allowed to work directly with their players all year long. Big difference. Doesn't make a college coach good or bad.

That's my point. Rice doesn't develop our big men as trout thinks he does. Trout things all our big men have developed under rice and are being taught so much. They aren't for many reasons and you pointed out another one.

I don't think he was saying that the amount of development was tremendous either, simply that development of our bigs does indeed happen.

Reactions: Dloch002

You don't know what you're talking about. Birch said that because if he stayed at UNLV he would have had to play out of position. If UNLV didn't have a history of developing bigs Zimmerman wouldn't wouldn't be committed to the Rebels.

Reactions: tarkaniancourt...nm
Yes he would have played point guard had he stayed? What are you talking about? He would have played center and power forward just like he always had. Was there someone on last years team that I'm not aware of that would have taken his spot? So confused by that statement. And if miller was at Kentucky right now that's exactly where he would be so quit acting like unlv is a great big developer. We also sucked for 25 years after tark left so I'm not sure who you are referring to when you say unlv. If you are going by schools unlv is not a school that is a great big developer and has done it consistently. We are not duke NC Kansas etc and have not developed bigs year in and year out. So maybe you were tryin to say rice is a great big developer?

Last edited:
So let's get back to discussing Giles or start another thread. By the way, you're all saying your piece about Rice now so please don't make every future thread about Rice as well.

It's ok to talk just about a player without critiquing Rice and staff.

Tom,

Unless I'm reading the title of the thread incorrectly I'm pretty sure that the subject is Giles and not Rice. My point is that every thread does not have to revert back to discussing Rice's coaching history. It's rehashing the same arguments over and over and it gets boring and frustrating to the reader. No moratorium at all but just start ONE new thread and discuss them there.

Why so anxious to censor opinions on UNLVs basketball coach? Is Rebelnet for UNLV fans to discuss their opinions on all things UNLV related? Or is it for moderators to control the discussions to something they deem interesting and appropriate?

Reactions: ijspencer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT