ADVERTISEMENT

Greed vs Greed

Rebel_Luv

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Revenue sharing up to 22% to players , so Conferences that get 50 million plus per school vs us with what 8 mil? The 50 million (22% of it) most of that could be directed towards players , but with 8 million most of that will be eaten up by cost of running program. IMO some schools will just shut down. The players repensentation don't want any cap or restrictions . Yes I believe in Capitalism, but at what cost? They have to come to some guidelines or agreements to balance things out. 4 the safety of CBB. Separate Div 1 ? With the haves and have nots? This is on top of outside endorsements. Some kids will be millionaires ! Maybe some whole teams in 1-2 years. Multi millionaires. I don't know legally what they could do? Like maybe have 6 years of eligibility and STOP making kids take such heavy class loads? Yes it's weak sauce, but most of those degrees are worthless. But that would help dilute and spread out the talent more. I don't know exact financial numbers , but I know it a huge disparity between MWC and Big 12. https://www.espn.com/college-sports...y-more-27b-settle-antitrust-suits-sources-say

Revenue sharing up to 22% to players , so Conferences that get 50 million plus per school vs us with what 8 mil? The 50 million (22% of it) most of that could be directed towards players , but with 8 million most of that will be eaten up by cost of running program. IMO some schools will just shut down. The players repensentation don't want any cap or restrictions . Yes I believe in Capitalism, but at what cost? They have to come to some guidelines or agreements to balance things out. 4 the safety of CBB. Separate Div 1 ? With the haves and have nots? This is on top of outside endorsements. Some kids will be millionaires ! Maybe some whole teams in 1-2 years. Multi millionaires. I don't know legally what they could do? Like maybe have 6 years of eligibility and STOP making kids take such heavy class loads? Yes it's weak sauce, but most of those degrees are worthless. But that would help dilute and spread out the talent more. I don't know exact financial numbers , but I know it a huge disparity between MWC and Big 12. https://www.espn.com/college-sports...y-more-27b-settle-antitrust-suits-sources-say
Or endless eligibility so as long as your chasing a degree. It sucks we have to turn to something like that , but at least IMO it would off set a lot. In terms of talent.

Wow, this 22% thing would cement the haves and have nots. How could ncaa membership ever vote for this? Also, it would not stop under the table payments to beat the 22% restrictions that would spread money out.

I cannot believe AD's do not see this as the end of college sports for all but the top rung of schools.

MWC needs to dissolve quick and take the amount of schools that vote to dissolve into a new g5 super conference.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
People keep saying that the BIG conferences are going to Dominate the landscape with PAY for Play,.... but every year lately Cinderellas' are going to the Final Four

They say the big conferences have the advantage

Gonzaga has done fine from a small confernce
Houston Just joined a Big conference - they are the most successful team in all of college bball the last 6 or 7 years

SDSD got to the Championship game last year and they come from the same shitty conference we do

Florida Atlantic got to the final four - they are from a small conference -
What about Loyola Chicago in the Final four a few years ago ??

I think Rebel fans need to realize confernce affiliation is not going to make or break us

We just need a commitment to actully winning in athletics instead of (existing without controversy) which has been the status quo from the very top for long long time.

You want UNLV to be relevant again and ranked year in year out ?

Get a Nevada Governor on board with that vision and we will be successful again - Otherwise - dream on

People keep saying that the BIG conferences are going to Dominate the landscape with PAY for Play,.... but every year lately Cinderellas' are going to the Final Four

Houston Just joined a Big conference - they are the most successful team in all of college bball the last 6 or 7 years

SDSD got to the Championship game last year and they come from the same shitty conference we do

I think Rebel fans need to realize confernce affiliation is not going to make or break us

We just need a commitment to actully winning in athletics instead of (existing without controversy) which has been the status quo from the very top for long long time.

Get a Nevada Governor on board with that vision and we will be successful again - Otherwise - dream on
NIL just barely started. So Fla Atl, G Mason, Illinois-Chicago etc, weren’t part of the NIL game, it was traditional recruiting, players had to sit a year with a transfer, etc.

We are seeing some impact early on, I think it’ll increase the chasm more and more and more.

Reactions: WarthogRebel

I think what people are doing is predicting what will happen with unlimited NIL and free agency. Because a program was top flight in the past few years doesn't mean it will be in the future. I completely agree with you that getting in a BIG conference doesn't necessarily mean you will dominate. In fact I think there will be at least 20 teams in Power five basketball conferences that will have little to no chance to excel due to inability to keep up with the NIL. And there may be a couple of G5 programs that can keep up because they have a sugar daddy. ( at least as long as he has the cash and is alive)

Your comment on "Commitment to Winning" is absolutely correct as long as you define it as having the most $$.

Reactions: j. spilotro
It sounds that there will be a salary cap, at least from what the school can provide, but will cost the big dawgs up to 30 mil a year total costs ( with 22 mil max going to players).

Paying players would not be required, so I don't think it will shut down any programs.

I wonder if they are going to have traditional contracts like professional sports? I would imagine that would be the case. IT would be the only thing that would be sustainable.

The G 5 will be a feeder system even more so. I doubt anyone would sign more than a 1 year contract with a G5.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I think what people are doing is predicting what will happen with unlimited NIL and free agency. Because a program was top flight in the past few years doesn't mean it will be in the future. I completely agree with you that getting in a BIG conference doesn't necessarily mean you will dominate. In fact I think there will be at least 20 teams in Power five basketball conferences that will have little to no chance to excel due to inability to keep up with the NIL. And there may be a couple of G5 programs that can keep up because they have a sugar daddy. ( at least as long as he has the cash and is alive)

Your comment on "Commitment to Winning" is absolutely correct as long as you define it as having the most $$.
I can’t speak for every fan, but this leads to a huge disconnect in emotion. It’s not sudden, it’s been an erosion over the years and it’s sped up.

I think back to the 87 team, the 90 team. Their greatness was incredible. But didn’t you feel like you knew them more than just an entity, but individually in a lot of cases? Because they went through the system, you watched them grow together. I could say the same, quite honestly, about the 1998 Rebels, the 2000 Rebels. You felt a kinship because of the year to year familiarity.

Now it’s just one year rentals and their hearts aren’t here and one foot is out of the door. I guess that’s just the way it is, but every progression has a cost. From a player standpoint, yeah … I get it. From a fan standpoint, I think everyone pays.

Could not agree with you more Joe. I keep threatening myself that I’m not gonna renew my season tickets. But I keep coming back. This next year might just be my last. Shit is getting ridiculous. And very aggravating.

Pretty much..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT