ADVERTISEMENT

Finally chewed on the schedule a bit ...

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
Focusing primarily on the conference schedule since shit is so weird.

Double home games (back to back) vs: SDSU, UNM, USU, AFA, FSU
Double road games (back to back) vs: Wyoming, CSU, UNR, Boise, SJSU

There's really no home court advantage since there won't be fans. There very well could be an altitude advantage and UNLV comes up short there having to go to Wyoming and CSU, but even though they are tough places to play, the teams aren't at all tough. We get bailed out on a little altitude with UNM getting two at the Mack.

UNLV might have an even "less" home court advantage than every other team. Might I say. I'm seeing it like this. I do believe sightlines and familiarity with the floor and such things is a factor.
There is no arena that teams have played in more than the Mack. Between the game at UNLV and the MWCT, they see the Mack more than any other place that isn't their own gym. So teams are used to the Mack more than others. That might dilute the advantage most home teams would have in this situation. Sightlines themselves can come into play and sightlines ARE reset with no crowd, it does change perception. And UNLV might have an edge there. It might be interesting to track outside shooting at the Mack, not just for UNLV, but for other teams.

I can't say how the season will go with any confidence. So many variables and way more variables than any year prior to this. So you just have to go by paper. Roster. Any number of factors that can massively skew expectations so it's all flimsy. But on paper, I believe UNLV will do very well in this conference. Very, very well, certainly the top third.

Assuming all games are played, I'd half heartedly say say 1-2 in Maui/Carolina, L at KSU, wins against EWU and Pepperdine for 3-3 non conference, but it will be a high SOS OOC. In conference, 20 games, subpar conference .... I'd say 15-5/14-6. Can't tell if that would get into whatever they decide for the NCAAT, but it's gotta be damn close and might come down to MWCT performance. But it might be the type where you win your opening round game and you can make the NCAA's.

Overall, I think they'll do well but I also predict, it's not going to produce much excitement here. Knights barely rippled in the playoffs here with all the shit going on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News