ADVERTISEMENT

Depth Chart Notes entering Fall Camp

rebelbuck

Retired Number
Aug 14, 2007
Fall Camp starts August 5th, no details yet on exact times, open to the public etc. I am sure that will be revealed near or around Media Days that are next week. Below is how the depth Chart looks based on the updated profiles, info from the online Roster.

Defensive Line:

DE: #1 Sonny Sanitoa (SR) , #2 Joseph Salazar RS FR
DT: #1Michael Hughes SO
DT: #1Tuli Fakauho SR, #2 Dominic Baldwin JR
DE: #1 Iggy Porchia JR, #2 Mark Finau SO

Others Names to watch once Camp starts, Jason Fao SO DT, Nick Dehdashtian FR DT ( I expect these two to help with depth at DT) , Solanoa Alo Wily FR DT/DE (Staff Expects him to be in Rotation on D Line) , Tui Maolota JR DE/DT (Was working way back to fitness during spring) , Melvin Johnson FR, Gabe McCoy FR DE, Jeremiah Valaoga JR DE (RS last year but I think he will be a factor at End once he works back into shape), Jacobie Russell SO DE.

Linebacker :
MLB: #1 Ryan McAleenan JR , #2 Trent Langham JR
WLB: #1 Tau Lotulelei JR , #2 Kimble Jensen SR
SLB: #1 Matt Lea JR , #2 Najee Johnson SR

Others to Watch, Bailey Laolagi FR ( I anticipate him being on the field early ) , J. Taula, Roscoe Kililikane and Elexious Perkins (?, played on only a few snaps and used spring to get academics in order).

Secondary :
CB: #1 Torry McTyer JR , #2 Chazz Eldridge FR
SS: #1 Peni Vea SR, Troy Hawthorne JR
FS: #1 Blake Richmond SR, #2 Kenny Keys SR
CB: #1 Jayonn Myles, #2? Fred Wilson SR/ Dominique Fenstermacher FR

Reserve Safeties/Incoming: JT Nettleton FR, Johnovaughn Williams JR, Brandon Baker SR. Evan Austrie FR and Javin White FR , Sofi Afalava FR
Reserve Corners/ Incoming: Tim Hough RS FR, Jericho Flowers FR, Darius Mouton FR (I think he has potential to get on the field early)

Offensive Line:

Left Tackle : # 1 Kyle Saxelid RS SO (4 Starts Last Year) , #2 Patrick Carroll JR
Left Guard: #1 Eric Noone SR , #2 Chris Lopez SO
Center: #1 Will Kreitler JR , No #2 listed
Right Guard : Ron Scoggins SR , Tom Clarkson
Right Tackle: J'Ondray Sanders SO, Charles Howard JR

Others Joining or able to get in the Mix: Nick Gstrein (missed most of spring working way back into roation at Guard), Incoming Freshman Alex Neale (I think he will win #2 at Center and take over after Kreitler graduates), Nathan Jacobson, Justin Polu will get strong looks to break into the depth chart.

Running Back:

#1- Keith Whitely JR
#2 David Greene SR

After these two its wide open- Martavious Holiday RS FR (Had a good Spring) , Henri Jussila SO, Lexington Thomas FR ( I think he might get a look at Slot WR as well), Xzavier Campbell FR , FULLBACK: #1Marc Philippi #2 George Naufahu

Tight End: #1 Jake Phillips SR , #2 Andrew Price JR, #3 Antonio Zepeda SO and Kyle Anderson SO

Wide Receiver:
#1 Devonte Boyd SO
#1 Kendal Keys SO
#1 Anthony WIlliams SR #2 Aaron Criswell SR

Others looking to get in Rotation: Brandon Presley FR (He will play a role this year) , Darren Woods FR (Get a chance to compete for time) , Justin Brown RS FR, Anthony Pataray RS FR, Christian Clapp, New Name: Stephen Sweeney SR Transfer (Miami, he didnt play much while with the Hurricanes but nice to have another experienced player in a very young group).

QB: #1 Blake Decker SR, #2 Kurt Palandech, #3 Kevin Thomson

Dalton Sneed FR.

Do you figure a redshirt freshman season for Sneed, unless injuries hit some of the guys ahead of him?

Sneed will most likely RS. He would have to have one of hell of a camp to get in the conversation at QB.

Once the official camp roster is out we can lo add in notes on other walks etc..

Nice to see Perkins on the roster. I thought he might be gone. Surprised Palandech is listed ahead of Thomson. Seems like Palandech was unimpressive in the spring. Thomson wowed people in his redshirt year, but with a new staff and system, everyone starts even. Gotta love the competition.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Palandech utilized at WR for a few plays a game. QBs often translate effectively to the WR position and Palendech is a long kid with quickness. It could also set up an occasional double-pass play from Decker to Palendech to Boyd for a TD.

Reactions: gripple29
Nice to see Perkins on the roster. I thought he might be gone. Surprised Palandech is listed ahead of Thomson. Seems like Palandech was unimpressive in the spring. Thomson wowed people in his redshirt year, but with a new staff and system, everyone starts even. Gotta love the competition.

I thought the same thing early on. Thomson looked better than Palandech, but as the spring wore on Palandech was making a lot of plays with his legs. Thomson made some really nice throws downfield but missed a ton of dump offs and easy passes. Palandech is a really fast and athletic kid, but is behind both Decker and Thomson throwing the ball. I think the staff likes Palandech's ability to scramble and make plays when the offense breaks down. You are right a lot of people were high on Thomson after last fall and Mark Anderson said during the season that he thinks if Hauck could have done it all over again he might have given Thomson snaps when Decker went down. I think that #2 QB spot will be up for grabs all through fall camp.

Sneed will almost certainly be red shirted this year. He has some talent and upside but I think it would be wrong to even think to throw him into the fire with this years schedule.

It's going to be critical that the O line stays healthy and injury free. Pretty young group (primarily freshmen) after 1st and 2nd string.

I see the local kid Peterson penciled in at WR. Is that where the staff has said they would like to look at him? I thought he might get a look at DB or possibly RB as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT