ADVERTISEMENT

Consistent Excellence

WarthogRebel

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
I've been thinking about the characteristics of teams that have a consistently high level of excellence in football. It comes from trying to get my mind around why we have generally sucked for 30+ years and other programs will have a down year here and there, but they normally compete in their league.

1. Administration - University President understands the importance of sports to the university as a whole. AD knows his role and is successful in raising money, selecting coaches and keeping the NCAA at bay.

2. Coach - a program absolutely needs a coach who can get the right assistants, recruit players, generate team harmony and develop schemes and game plans.

3. Boosters - Boosters are required to raise $$ and get recruits. They are especially needed now to put together NIL deals for recruiting.

4. Facilities - You can't win without players and good players have a choice where they go. You need facilities to get recruits.

5. Quarterback - an excellent quarterback can make up for what otherwise is a fair team. You can have all the other pieces and if your QB's suck so goes the team. IMO, a good coach and boosters will get you enough "lunch pail" players so an excellent QB can take a team over the top.

So where do we sit? I think the current president is good but not dynamic. AD is O.K. but not proven. Excellent facilities. The rest is lacking.

I’d add fan base too. LV is a very transient city, so not many have deep roots. A lot of schools around the county have fans that are 3rd, 4th, 5th,6th etc generation season ticket holders.

LV has a bunch or residents that would rather wake up and head to the sports book to bet Louisiana Monroe Vs Troy State than go to a UNLV football game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT