ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching

khokhol8

National Player of the Year
May 24, 2012
Gotta say I was impressed with the coaches against SUU. Seemed like SUU had found their answer in the zone and pulled within 8 by half time and they and their fans were becoming believers that they could pull off the upset. Right from the get go in the second half it was obvious that the players had been instructed to speed the game up on offense and that seemed to be one of the big differences and catalysts for the big run at the beginning of the second half. I'm sure the adjustments were more than "let's play faster guys" but whatever they were it worked. The team seems like they are starting to gel. Have to give the coaches credit.

It suddenly got very quiet here. The Rice critics seem to have gone on a posting strike.

What's wong, wittle whiners? Did the scawy coach just do a good job this past week?

Boo hoo!!! This is what happens when you upset the #3 team in the country, then blow out a team by way more than the point spread and get some votes in one of the polls. The board gets really quiet.

Could not agree more. I had seats a few rows behind the bench from a friend (so I didn't sit in my usual seats) and the coaching staff was very vocal with all the players. One timeout Pat was walking back to bench while the rest team had huddled and a coach yelled at him to huddle. I also notice Coach Augmion being very vocal with players as the came out of the game. I LOVE the new interaction with the players. I think Coach Rice is taking some direction to improve deficiencies - no one can ask more of the coach at this point. Count me impressed and extremely encouraged.

I was never off the wagon and have not been since I became a Rebel 9 years ago. I am in my seats long before tip-off and never miss the end of games. So as far as being as being labeled a band wagon fan - you have the wrong guy.

As far as Coach Rice goes I definitely slammed the guy at the end of season two years ago and again at the end of last season.The team imploded 2 years in a row and the program was in chaos to a certain extent with guys leaving in mass. I think slammed would be a good description of my critique of the Rebel program. I was unhappy with the trajectory of the program and the chaos on and off the court. I still think that critique was fair.

As far as this season goes my biggest beef was the half-court offense and the Rebels offensive efficiency is in the low 200s out of ~ 350 D1 schools. But when you rebound and block shots as well as the Rebels do you have something to work with. Plus, having two NBA first round picks in your starting 5 doesn't hurt. You can see that talent evolving. I was very encouraged with the interaction between the coaching staff and players. RV commented on the post-game show that the Rebel need to be ridden and "yelled" at times. I think that tough love between the coaching staff and players is a natural balance of the Freedom theory that Coach Rice wants his players to thrive in. I am encouraged. This team oozes with talent and you can see the team building an indenity of togetherness. So yes, I give my opinions and I am glad to say that I see a big improvement in Coach Rice and staff this season - the deserve a lot of credit for the program heading in a positive trajectory.

Saying the team imploded is an over reaction IMO and the reason players left in mass was because they either wanted to go pro, didn't get any playing time, or were shown the door.

As far as the trajectory goes, if we win 25 games one year and 23 the next you could use that statement.

Obviously we had some chemistry issues before and Rice cleaned it up. If he did nothing he would be criticized and since he did do something he was criticized because players "left in mass".

One big win and you flip a 180. If you believed the stuff that you were saying before then stand by that. Hopefully you can see why some people take exception with the way you express yourself. You aren't as bad as some but you are far from not deserving some criticism.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

So having an opinion, then stating that he believed that opinion and still think it was fair while also stating that he i seeing new things and improvements makes him "deserving some criticism?"

The team last year imploded at the end of the season. Players fought in the locker room after the last game... What would you call it? I can't put all of that on Rice, but the player that caused a lot of the issues was his recruit and it's his team, so he takes some heat for that.

I do agree with your point about the "mass exodus." Players left for a number of reasons. It's unsettling, but it's the way the college game is trending and, realistically, the only 2 that left that I'd have back are Birch and Roscoe. They both wanted to go pro and get paid while they improve; can't fault that. BDJ had to go; Deville couldn't hold down the point and didn't offer much; Morant still would have struggled to see the floor on this roster.

The trajectory argument is valid: From year 1-2 we went sideways (1st round NCAA losses); in year 3, we didn't even get an NIT bid. Even though its one year, it could be viewed as a cause for concern.

For the record, I have always been a Rice guy, from day one. I've seen improvement as far as his coaching and what he does each year. I think the fresh start with the roster turnover and a couple new coaches was exactly what he needed and, again, his coaching has taken another step up. Sean Miller is a GREAT coach, and Rice out-schemed, out-adjusted and out-coached him. Its a great sign and hopefully a springboard game for the rest of the year (and beyond).

All that being said, I don't sit back and pretend everything has been fantastic and he deserves no criticism, and I certainly won't call someone out for having an opinion or changing their opinion. Every game we play, there is new information to consider. So though I back Rice, and believe he is the right man for the job, he far is "far from not deserving any criticism."

Not ready for "I told you sos" just yet, need to see more, but this is basically what I expected. I posted as much.

Rice's previous two teams (particularly last years) were badly flawed from a roster standpoint. You simply can't go into a college basketball season expecting to win games with no option at PG. Maybe there are exceptions (rare), but without a PG on the roster, teams generally don't make the tournament.

Also, Rice's last two teams were transfer heavy, as opposed to largely homegrown (like this one). I'm not anti-transfer by any means, but that can make a difference, particularly for a young HC. It's a different animal to coach transfer players. That shouldn't be viewed as an excuse for a Rice- gotta win with the guys you bring in- but it isn't an ideal situation. You take transfers largely to fill gaps, and as such, are willing to take more risk in bringing them aboard. Unlike Freshmen, to a certain degree transfers need to be re-molded into the type of player the new staff envisions, which can be challenging. And God forbid an upperclassman transfer turns out to be a bad-attitude guy- That can be a program killer.

We had some great luck in the transfer market (Khem and Roscoe are Rebs for life), and some not so great luck. Truth is, out of necessity, Rice probably rolled the "transfer dice" a few too many times early on. Moving forward nobody expects that to be the case. Without disrespecting anyone, if we're being honest this years team probably represents a better sample of what the staff "wanted" as opposed to players they added as transfers because they were "needed" at the time.

If this improvement continues, as I expect it will, there are going to be a number of posters on this board we'll probably never hear from again. Which is just fine by me.

Go Rebs!

This post was edited on 12/30 5:40 AM by Mjs_702

LOL...you guys are hilarious. I pointed out some positives about a subject that had not been posted much on this board. I was encouraged about that interaction between the coaching staff and players. And yes one big moment (victory) can change the trajectory of a season - if you can't realize that you don't follow sports very closely. I gave credit where credit is due. I have not flipped any direction. I will continue to offer positive and negative opinions as the season-program develops. If you can't get past a different point of view - I feel sorry for you. If you think my positive post means "I am on your side" you're delusional - I don't see it that way. There is no us vs them to me - just people that have opinions they are entitled to. We are all Rebel fans. As I have said all along - everyone wants to see Coach Rice succeed and the Rebels do wellI. I have 2 season seats/RAF donations and I am an VIP UNLV alumni - I want nothing but the best for the program and if it happens under Coach Rice that would be awesome. Nothing has changed.

This post was edited on 12/30 7:58 AM by TomKingsley

I don't view you as on any side. Just a guy who had been highly critical, and is now beginning to note positive progress.

Call that whatever you want. At some point if things keep going in this direction I'll ask you to admit that many of your gripes with Rice were easily correctable with an upgraded roster (as Ive maintained with you in the past)... But that waits for another day.

This team hasn't proven enough to definitively say that yet. They haven't proved much of anything yet, really. I like what I see so far.

Originally posted by TomKingsley:
As I have said all along - everyone wants to see Coach Rice succeed and the Rebels do wellI.

Please- stop speaking for "everyone". You do not. You want Coach Rice and the Rebels to do well. I want the same. You and I don't constitute "everyone" on this free message board.

Should we ignore the obvious trolls? Absolutely. The trouble comes into paradise when one of your good-hearted constructive criticisms gets gobbled up by some goober who wants to argue this team doesn't have any heart because the coach doesn't show enough emotion and blah blah blah... then before you know it, message board lawyer starts threatening lawsuits. What a party.

For what it's worth, Ive agreed with many of your more critical takes on the program over the last couple years. Perhaps it doesn't always show, because I don't always weigh in with a "RT" post when I agree- but I'm far more likely to post when the desire to call BS arises.

anything positively said will be gone if we get throttled by Wyoming & Kansas.

actually, had Vaughn or Wood missed a lot of those shots, the pitchforks and torches would've been raging.

bottom line is whether the kids are making shots or not. against Utah, they flat out sucked. dozens of open looks with nothing to show.

All you guys are funny. One win on our home court, where we should win all our games, and he is the best coach in the country now.
roll.r191677.gif

In all honesty, we should have lost against Arizona but johnson missed a wide open layup. Also, out of the top 5 teams, AZ was the most vulnerable. Close games with SDSU and Gonzaga and probably should have lost one of those.

Keep it real people. Rice didnt wake up one morning and all of a sudden get a half court offense. We still dont have a half court offense. Everyone stands around looking at each other. One day Rice will realize that his team is much better in the open court and adapt, but I wont hold my breath.

This post was edited on 12/30 10:45 AM by sandracer250

Originally posted by TomKingsley:
LOL...you guys are hilarious. I pointed out some positives about a subject that had not been posted much on this board. I was encouraged about that interaction between the coaching staff and players. And yes one big moment (victory) can change the trajectory of a season - if you can't realize that you don't follow sports very closely. I gave credit where credit is due. I have not flipped any direction. I will continue to offer positive and negative opinions as the season-program develops. If you can't get past a different point of view - I feel sorry for you. If you think my positive post means "I am on your side" you're delusional - I don't see it that way. There is no us vs them to me - just people that have opinions they are entitled to. We are all Rebel fans. As I have said all along - everyone wants to see Coach Rice succeed and the Rebels do wellI. I have 2 season seats/RAF donations and I am an VIP UNLV alumni - I want nothing but the best for the program and if it happens under Coach Rice that would be awesome. Nothing has changed.

Tom, you have to remember who you are dealing with. Rebelluver gets mad when you say negative things about his bff.

Meanwhile at Cal State Northridge, they got a DJ scratching the records throughout the game.

Originally posted by sandracer250:
All you guys are funny. One win on our home court, where we should win all our games, and he is the best coach in the country now.
roll.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 12/30 10:45 AM by sandracer250
Right- because everyone was saying that.
rolleye0014.r191677.gif

Tom, you going to call this clown out for flame throwing, like you did me? Or does he get a pass?

Tom would you please stop pointing out your credentials for being a Rebel fan, it is getting old. I know, you have season tickets and give money so therefore your opinion is more valid.

Thing is, I know you only posted positive things because there were some call outs about some people never posting anything positive. You decided to show you are non biased so you made some positive posts but you went a little overboard. It made it so transparent when you went from hating where this team is at to loving it after one game. ONE GAME!

At least sandracer stuck by his guns, even when they are empty.

This post was edited on 12/30 2:06 PM by rebelluver

Where we should win all our games? Yeah ok, because there are undefeated teams all over the country at home.

I didn't realize time would have run out if Johnson made the layup. Nice assumption. Some of you guys want to be right and have Rice suck more than you want UNLV to win.

Boston have you been around long? Yes you should win your home games. I'm not quite sure how to even respond to that except with duh.

No time wouldn't have ran out smart ass but they would've been leading and then rice would've called a timeout to draw up a play and we would've thrown it out of bounds like we usually do out of timeouts so yea we should've lost that game but LUCKILY we didn't. Sometimes better to be lucky than good.

One more valiant effort at most ignorant post of the year. You keep topping yourself sandracer. At least you are the best at something.

Rebuilver you really don't have to be a downer the rest of the season - life is good. Happy New Year friend. Go Rebels!

Ps I have 2 balcony seats for you gratis for the SJSU game if you want them (that's my olive branch, friend)

This post was edited on 12/31 6:44 PM by TomKingsley

It is true that we should expect to win on our home court. We used to walk out there expecting to win every time and surprised when we lost. We do need to get back to those days. But we can't "expect" to beat the #3 team in the country, even on our home court. That's not the least bit realistic. I do think we should expect not to lose more than twice on our home court over a full season. That is expected of this program. If we maintain the progress we saw over the past couple of days, we can do that.

I generally don't agree with Sandracer on most things, but I agree with about 80% of what he's saying here. However, I don't agree with the assumption that we should win every game on our home court. We are not Kentucky. We are not Duke. But we hope to get back to being in that group.

Originally posted by rebelluver:
One more valiant effort at most ignorant post of the year. You keep topping yourself sandracer. At least you are the best at something.
Bro why don't you at some point talk about basketball or have something to say about the game or someone's post. Get over the man crush you got on me. Like RebelSwag did agree with me, disagree, tell us why, etc. Add some substance. All you do is take shots at me. Get over your man crush.

I have tried talking basketball with you many times. There is no point because you don't understand.

The only reason I respond to you as much as I do is because you by far make the most ridiculous posts. Trust me, I ignore half of the ones I could comment on.

Originally posted by rebelluver:
I have tried talking basketball with you many times. There is no point because you don't understand.

The only reason I respond to you as much as I do is because you by far make the most ridiculous posts. Trust me, I ignore half of the ones I could comment on.
You're right I know nothing about basketball. Never played it one bit. If you want to talk about basketball let's talk. You start.

This post was edited on 12/31 8:46 PM by sandracer250

I appreciate it Tom. Not sure of schedule but I will let you know. In the meantime, if somebody else claims them don't worry about me.

Just saw it is a Saturday game. That makes it more unlikely, I can usually only go to games on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I will see if I can figure something out.

Rice sucked the first 3 years. But we can pretend he is just an innocent bystander getting steam rolled by unruly players.

I imagine most get tired of posting constantly about the same flaws over and over after 3 years. Not much else really to say on those items. Waiting and hoping for good things to chat about. And if Rice does pull it out and bring success, not going to change the fact he sucked starting out as a head coach. And hoping he does get it together. Great things can happen given his recruiting if he can then match it with coaching.

Will see, the conference grind just getting under way.

not blocking out, not closing out on shooters, full court press half tokened, lack of hussel and having a half ass killer instinct all falls on the head coach

I'll take you up if he doesnt. :) of course the point would be lost because I don't think you have been hypocritical.

I believe Rice is the right man for the job. He's a great recruiter obviously, and his coaching is coming around. His problem is going to be keeping his players. Having so much turnover can kill a team. I'm not talking about guys leaving early for the NBA, I think that helps more than hurts a team. It's the guys like Smith and Birch leaving early even though no mock draft had them being drafted. Or the guys like Moser, BDJ, and KR transferring out. Whether they were bad for the team is a different story altogether, but it's gonna be tough to build on a season of you have 3-4 new starters every year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT