ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching carousel

kbc167

Lottery Pick
Jul 28, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
I think Buzz Williams is going to be highly sought after in the offseason. Any of Texas, Texas A&M or Arkansas could open and he’d be heavily pursued.

At Texas, this is an example where I would love to see UNLV make a call now. Shaka would do better here than he’s doing there and a coach like that would thrill our fan base. Get him a soft landing before the ax falls. Texas might not mind letting him go for cheap so they can throw stupid money at Buzz Williams. Texas AM surely will fire Kennedy and do the same. So he is going to be hotly pursued at places that make a lot more sense for him than here.

In addition to those three, I think Arizona will open (which would cause a cascade effect when all those elite recruits are cast into the wind and up for grabs). Scandal or not, I’d love Sean Miller here but if they won’t hire Pitino I’m guessing they won’t hire him.

I don’t think Indiana will open but Archie Miller would be wise to consider getting out of town. One more bad season and he’s done there. You can’t lose 10 of 11 at Indiana.

Washington State will open. Wake will open. Nebraska will open. Cal might even open. I don’t know about BYU, but I don’t know how many bad seasons Dave Rose can survive, although I know he’s been beloved there. St Joes in a similar situation. Beloved coach underperforming for a long time.

It actually might be the most active coaching carousel in many years. I don’t think that’s something to fear. A lot of chaos can work to our favor if a top tier coach is cast into the wind too early (like a barnes at Texas) and we can cash in. Just depends on whether we want damaged goods who can coach or would rather go the safest route possible but maybe not improve much. I don’t think everything means something bad for us.

I’m not a pessimist. I don’t think that just because we’ve always made poor choices means we will again. I have a feeling it will all work out better than we think it will. But I believe in law of attraction.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News