ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Arroyo coach of the year in the MWC?

ricovegas

UNLV Hall of Fame
Feb 18, 2008
Sunny Southern California, Newport Beach

I saw this and did a double take. Is our fan base out of touch or is this how outsiders really view the situation. I'm stunned. I can see Desiree saying, "See, I knew what I was doing the UNLV fan base is just poison. Just ask T.J. and Caleb Grill."

The whole MWC was garbage this year. Nobody can really make a strong case that they deserve it this year.

The MWC championship game this year features 2 teams that combined to go 0-6 in their non-conference FBS games. That includes losses to UConn and UTEP. Still I probably give it to one of those coaches for running through this terrible conference.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1

I saw this and did a double take. Is our fan base out of touch or is this how outsiders really view the situation. I'm stunned. I can see Desiree saying, "See, I knew what I was doing the UNLV fan base is just poison. Just ask T.J. and Caleb Grill."

Let's eliminate who it absolutely couldn't be.

Fresno State- Haener hurt but still disappointing season overall with their expectations. So no.

Utah State- Boubced back a bit after slow start, but coming off MWC title fell off a lot. Probably not.

SDSU- Down year by their recent standards. No.

Hawaii- UNLV win aside, really bad first year for Chang. No.

SJSU.- Decent year, but they were pretty loaded with transfers. I think more was expected.

CSU- Bad first year for Norvell.

Boise State- Maybe? But still a down year by their standards, so probably not.

UNM- Gonzales is a good coach, but facing a mountain of obstacles with that program. That said two wins ain't gonna cut it.

Reno- Disaster.

Air Force- Good year, but they had high expectations this year not sure enough was done.

Not to be snarky, but Rebs were predicted 4 wins at start of the year. Got to 5 so they exceeded expectations I guess. Not so much what Arroyo did as rest of conference really underperformed.

Let's eliminate who it absolutely couldn't be.

Fresno State- Haener hurt but still disappointing season overall with their expectations. So no.

Utah State- Boubced back a bit after slow start, but coming off MWC title fell off a lot. Probably not.

SDSU- Down year by their recent standards. No.

Hawaii- UNLV win aside, really bad first year for Chang. No.

SJSU.- Decent year, but they were pretty loaded with transfers. I think more was expected.

CSU- Bad first year for Norvell.

Boise State- Maybe? But still a down year by their standards, so probably not.

UNM- Gonzales is a good coach, but facing a mountain of obstacles with that program. That said two wins ain't gonna cut it.

Reno- Disaster.

Air Force- Good year, but they had high expectations this year not sure enough was done.

Not to be snarky, but Rebs were predicted 4 wins at start of the year. Got to 5 so they exceeded expectations I guess. Not so much what Arroyo did as rest of conference really underperformed.
Certainly not that big of a stretch if he were to win it.. Like you alluded, everyone else was just that bad..

Yeah, I'm not campaigning for him, but who else really had a strong case?
I’m thinking that they’d lean to the AFA coach due to the natural restraints of a service academy. Also, their season was good enough.

Or, for Boise, the fact that they were dropping and the coach made changes to salvage the season. That could be pointed to.

That being said, no coach/team stood out.

I’m thinking that they’d lean to the AFA coach due to the natural restraints of a service academy. Also, their season was good enough.

Or, for Boise, the fact that they were dropping and the coach made changes to salvage the season. That could be pointed to.

That being said, no coach/team stood out.

Those would be the two that have the best arguments for a meaningless award.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT