ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Beard - Impressed (hire him now)

Let me guess 702, you want us to hire Augmon? You seem to have an agenda and are making some really silly comments regarding the coaching of Beard.

I know there is nothing that I want more than a team of upperclassmen that have gone downhill

Prior to Beard Arkansas Little Rock 2012-2013 17-15
Prior to Beard Arkansas Little Rock 2013-2014 15-17
Prior to Beard Arkansas Little Rock 2014-2015 13-18

3 straight year of the teams record progressively getting worse is a clear sign that they are going to be a great team the next year. Comments like yours give you zero credibility with anyone!

Beard as coach Arkansas Little Rock 2014-2015 30-5 - It must be due to that great team that went 13-18 the year before!

That was mostly unintelligible 86. Great work.

Think whatever you want, I'm not agenda driving anyone. I merely pointed out that the hire will be disappointing. He's had one year of D1 head coaching under his belt. If you think he's amazing, good for you. He wasn't even on anybody's list 3 weeks ago. In March of 2015 he was coaching in a D2 high school gym. Now he's our guy because we learned the hard way that nobody else wanted to work for our toxic AD.

End of the day we have no idea if Beard can sustain success or recruit at a high level because he hasn't shown the ability to do either. Maybe he can. I hope he can, because I'm going to have to cheer for him. You'll just have to forgive me if I'm not as convinced as you are that he's frocking spectacular just yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: manic water
You know what else Chris took over? A team retuning it's top 8 mpg players from the year prior.

That make any difference? Or nah?
Nah, Very hard to turn loosers into winners. Jumps from bottom of the conference to #1 never happens just because of age.

I get it though. You were dreaming of getting a top P-5 coach tomslum with us in the MW but instead we're getting and unknown from the Sunbelt or the WAC.

If he's sucessful, you'll come around and if he's not you be here to remind us how you "knew from the get-go".

and if he's not you be here to remind us how you "knew from the get-go".

No, I won't. That's not me at all. And really Id have to reason to gloat anyway because it's not like I've predicted he's going to fail.

Truth be told I've never even said I didn't like the guy. He could be great.. Sadly due to our toxic administration he may well be our best possible option. I'm just not about to pretend he's some kind of sure thing, or the process that led to him was anything less than a dumpster fire.

Go Rebels. And Happy Easter to those of you who are into that sort of thing.

Reactions: TeamRebels
OMG what an agenda driven tirade. Stop already. You're worse than Westgate. Anyway, one does not simply trip and fall over an NCAA tournament victory over a Big 10 school. The guy can coach. We have no say in the process. We can only support the outcome, or not. Happy Easter!

Reactions: Rebel Chi-girl
No pissing matches with morons on Easter.
Have a good day cousin Mo.

Enjoy your privusey

Last edited:
Dave Rice could have won 30 games a year in the Sun Belt.
Hard to believe anyone can praise the Beard hiring, he wasn't winning 30 games at the D2 level. He will be competing against much better coaches in the MWC and will guarantee a consistant fall to a losing record.

What Beard did do that Rice never could was win a game in the Big Dance. Dave Rice had top 10 recruiting classes, Beard most likely didn't have top 100 classes. Rice was not able to coach a bunch of great players to better than the middle of the MWC when he started with a strong group of returning players from Kruger. Beard started with nothing and was able to do far more with that than Rice could do with a lot more.

Also to top all of that off, how many times did Rice beat SDSU at their home arena? They owned his ass.

Head to head I find it very likely that UNLV would have lost to Arkansas Little Rock!

Why?

Because UNLV was destroyed by SDSU this last season, while Arkansas Little Rock beat SDSU 49-43 at Viejas Center!

So the two biggest problems Rice had was beating SDSU and winning at the big dance

Rice 0-2
Beard 2-0

Thing that worries me about him is he moves around extremely quickly. 4 different jobs in the last 5 years?
That and it's taken him 25 years to go from an assistant at Texas to mighty Arkansas-Little Rock. You'd think if he was a real deal coach, he would have risen a little faster.

However, and this is humiliating to type, looks like he's the best option for us at this point. I'll be with him and give him a chance, but i'm beyond disappointed at how this whole circus is turning out.

Thing that worries me about him is he moves around extremely quickly. 4 different jobs in the last 5 years?
That and it's taken him 25 years to go from an assistant at Texas to mighty Arkansas-Little Rock. You'd think if he was a real deal coach, he would have risen a little faster.

However, and this is humiliating to type, looks like he's the best option for us at this point. I'll be with him and give him a chance, but i'm beyond disappointed at how this whole circus is turning out.

He was a grad assistant at Texas. Not the same thing.

Here's how I look at it.....Whatever price we get him at (if we get him), if the money guys are willing to fork up the money to keep him that they were willing to lay out for Pitino, there are few jobs he would leave Las Vegas for: Your Kentucky, Duke, Kansas type programs, or the NBA. If he is that good. If not, we go through the circus all over again in ~4-5 years.

What I don't want is a top pedigree coach who sees Las Vegas as semi-retirement. I want an ambitious coach, and his resume smacks of ambition.

After a bit of research, I have to admit I’m impressed with Chris Beard. His resume actually reminds me somewhat, of early Tark, at places like Riverside and Pasadena. He has exhibited marked improvement at all of his stops. I won’t be upset, should he ultimately be the choice.

My one concern, and it’s a considerable one, is should he achieve the same level of improvement with the Rebels, just how long will he stay here? No one will blame him for bailing on Ark-LR after one season, as the MW is a solid step up from the Sun Belt. But a Power 5 job would be the same step. If he were to deliver a 30-win season here, he’ll be one-and-done again.

I really don’t want to go through another search in a year or two…

25 years? Nah, he's only 43. Took his time to learn the trade as an assistant, stepped up to HC in his mid to late 30s. I'm okay with that. Looks like he can actually coach, something Rice couldn't. But can he recruit like Rice or recruit, period? That's more of a question for me.

Playing winning basketball can do wonders for recruiting though. Rice's act wasn't gonna keep charming recruits if the results weren't coming on the court.

What Beard did do that Rice never could was win a game in the Big Dance. Dave Rice had top 10 recruiting classes, Beard most likely didn't have top 100 classes. Rice was not able to coach a bunch of great players to better than the middle of the MWC when he started with a strong group of returning players from Kruger. Beard started with nothing and was able to do far more with that than Rice could do with a lot more.

Also to top all of that off, how many times did Rice beat SDSU at their home arena? They owned his ass.

Head to head I find it very likely that UNLV would have lost to Arkansas Little Rock!

Why?

Because UNLV was destroyed by SDSU this last season, while Arkansas Little Rock beat SDSU 49-43 at Viejas Center!

So the two biggest problems Rice had was beating SDSU and winning at the big dance

Rice 0-2
Beard 2-0

He coached an underdog team that bigger programs usually aren't highly motivated to play.
Playing for a couple of games a season isn't a major endorsement. Rice beat plenty of ranked teams but couldn't win the down the stretch games. Beard has has never had to recruit to the level he needs at UNLV.

Dave Rice never had a losing record as a head coach and two trips to the NCAA tournament
Dave Rice had some very elite players. No one is arguing that he couldn't recruit. Were you happy with the results he had with those athletes? I like Dave Rice. I was very upset that he was fired midstream. But I don't think anyone can argue that he was going to get us where we want to be.

Here's how I look at it.....Whatever price we get him at (if we get him), if the money guys are willing to fork up the money to keep him that they were willing to lay out for Pitino, there are few jobs he would leave Las Vegas for: Your Kentucky, Duke, Kansas type programs, or the NBA. If he is that good. If not, we go through the circus all over again in ~4-5 years.

After this year's coaching search- circus, and our legendarily incompetent "leadership" showing once again it's not close to big-time, I'm not sure I would agree with this. I think all of us (myself included) believes UNLV is a more attractive job than it is. After looking at the lukewarm interest shown to UNLV by legitimate coaches, can you honestly say with full confidence that he'd stay here if he has a few years of success and a P5 program calls? Hell, he might even bolt for a crap program like Washington St. and I wouldn't be remotely surprised at this point.

:flush:

Reactions: Mjs_702
If he has same success here, the money will be there to keep him unless the biggest of the big boy bullies pull his tail.

If he has same success here, the money will be there to keep him unless the biggest of the big boy bullies pull his tail.

The money was there to get Mick Cronin and he dissed us. Read that again... Mick F%#@%ing Cronin dissed us! And no standout coaches showing us even lukewarm interest since that 3M figure was embarrassingly leaked. Seems that even with the money, UNLV just ain't appearing that attractive to coaches with other options.

After this year's coaching search- circus, and our legendarily incompetent "leadership" showing once again it's not close to big-time, I'm not sure I would agree with this. I think all of us (myself included) believes UNLV is a more attractive job than it is. After looking at the lukewarm interest shown to UNLV by legitimate coaches, can you honestly say with full confidence that he'd stay here if he has a few years of success and a P5 program calls? Hell, he might even bolt for a crap program like Washington St. and I wouldn't be remotely surprised at this point.

:flush:
If he wins, it will be an attractive job. I know I'm stating the obvious here, but this city can show love toward a winning coach like no other. Tark was a superstar here. And just to be sure, we blew up someone's car to keep him here.

Seriously, though, my point is that if the boosters are going to come up with Pitino money, they'll do it to keep him if he gets us to the promised land. Combine competitive salary with "keys to the city" that only Las Vegas can provide, and we are one hire away from being one of the best coaching jobs in the NCAA again.

He coached an underdog team that bigger programs usually aren't highly motivated to play.
Playing for a couple of games a season isn't a major endorsement. Rice beat plenty of ranked teams but couldn't win the down the stretch games. Beard has has never had to recruit to the level he needs at UNLV.

Ready for this bombshell..

OU has one top one hundred player on their roster. 1. Buddy H.

UVA has been outside top 30 last 3 years in recruiting.

Recruit players that fit your style and identity. The gap between 3-5 star players is so miniscule in basketball, especially when you get past the top 5-10 elite prospects.

If he wins, it will be an attractive job. I know I'm stating the obvious here, but this city can show love toward a winning coach like no other. Tark was a superstar here. And just to be sure, we blew up someone's car to keep him here.

Seriously, though, my point is that if the boosters are going to come up with Pitino money, they'll do it to keep him if he gets us to the promised land. Combine competitive salary with "keys to the city" that only Las Vegas can provide, and we are one hire away from being one of the best coaching jobs in the NCAA again.

I think you absolutely should be spot on with those comments. Just not so sure anymore how many coaches, particularly those back east, would agree with those sentiments. I hope that is how it turns out... that is the way it should turn out cuz like you said, if we can finally manage to pull out a coach who takes us there, he would be a superduperstar here...

The money was there to get Mick Cronin and he dissed us. Read that again... Mick F%#@%ing Cronin dissed us! And no standout coaches showing us even lukewarm interest since that 3M figure was embarrassingly leaked. Seems that even with the money, UNLV just ain't appearing that attractive to coaches with other options.

Without UA its closer to 2 million. Still a very good chunk of change especially considering UNLVs financial situation. Expect next hire to be closer to the 1 million mark.

The Cronin fiasco was a joke, I was screaming all along that it was ridiculous to offer him period but esp. that amount but the peanut gallery was saying WHO CARES just go ahead and make us look like chumps lol.
I agree with Shark, if Beard turns out to be a home run, the town will step up to keep him here. If he's not, back to the circus~

So the first half of your comment was complaining that he has risen too fast and the second part that he has risen too slow...

Im not worried about him jumping ship in 2 yrs after 2 tourney wins.. by national perception we aren't a mid-major although we act like it at times. If and when needed we can offer competitive rates to most schools...

Reactions: WeMissYouShark
Im not worried about him jumping ship in 2 yrs after 2 tourney wins.. by national perception we aren't a mid-major although we act like it at times. If and when needed we can offer competitive rates to most schools...
There is always a chance that ANY good coach we hire gets tired of the Amateur Night we call an administration and bolts for a professional organization.

4974281.jpg

Can TKM just stf UP.

Now it gets out that Randy Bennett turned down an offer to interview for 1.5 million. How will the other coaching recruits feel about that? Will Beard now say screw UNLV and turn down any offer if one is made?

TKM has done more to damage the reputation of UNLV athletics then the NCAA ever did!

If you look at his short career, you can see how well he has done and how quickly he can turn things around, and it looks impressive to me. He is the type of coach that could turn UNLV around in one season.

Murray State coach for the 2012-2013 season It is a little hard to tell how he did at the school since he pretty much kept the program at the same level, but the next season the team dropped to 12-15 after they finished 19-9 during his one season.

Prior to Beard Angelo State 2010-2011 11-15
Prior to Beard Angelo State 2011-2012 11-17
Prior to Beard Angelo State 2012-2013 7-19
Beard as coach Angelo State 2013-2014 19-9
Beard as coach Angelo State 2014-2015 28-6

There is no question at all that he did a massive turn around of Angelo State in one year and had them near the top at there level within 2 years.

Prior to Beard Arkansas Little Rock 2009-2010 8-22
Prior to Beard Arkansas Little Rock 2010-2011 19-17
Prior to Beard Arkansas Little Rock 2011-2012 15-16
Beard as coach Arkansas Little Rock 2014-2015 30-5

This is a program that normally wins half of there games historically, and has not won more than 23 games in the last 30 years that suddenly had a massive improvement in only one year. The only thing that changed was the coach. They beat Purdue in the big dance and fell to Iowa State in the next round because he just didn't have the athletes to compete.

I think he is a gamble that is worth taken a chance on. Short career as a coach but very impressive and quickly turning around two programs.

If you look at his short career, you can see how well he has done and how quickly he can turn things around, and it looks impressive to me. He is the type of coach that could turn UNLV around in one season.

Murray State coach for the 2012-2013 season It is a little hard to tell how he did at the school since he pretty much kept the program at the same level, but the next season the team dropped to 12-15 after they finished 19-9 during his one season.

Prior to Beard Angelo State 2010-2011 11-15
Prior to Beard Angelo State 2011-2012 11-17
Prior to Beard Angelo State 2012-2013 7-19
Beard as coach Angelo State 2013-2014 19-9
Beard as coach Angelo State 2014-2015 28-6

There is no question at all that he did a massive turn around of Angelo State in one year and had them near the top at there level within 2 years.

Prior to Beard Arkansas Little Rock 2009-2010 8-22
Prior to Beard Arkansas Little Rock 2010-2011 19-17
Prior to Beard Arkansas Little Rock 2011-2012 15-16
Beard as coach Arkansas Little Rock 2014-2015 30-5

This is a program that normally wins half of there games historically, and has not won more than 23 games in the last 30 years that suddenly had a massive improvement in only one year. The only thing that changed was the coach. They beat Purdue in the big dance and fell to Iowa State in the next round because he just didn't have the athletes to compete.

I think he is a gamble that is worth taken a chance on. Short career as a coach but very impressive and quickly turning around two programs.

Thanks 1986. I always appreciate your well prepared posts!

Sorry but we might lose him even before we get him because now Vanderbilt is interested. So this should settle all the arguments about what a great job this is. And he will probably go on and be a great coach and all because of the inability of those responsible not knowing how to close a sale. Idiots running the asylum.

Reactions: ThailandReb
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT