ADVERTISEMENT

Camps

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
Until somebody can put their finger on the true power structure behind the decision, everyone is spinning their wheels.

Des hired Mora, it was vetoed by the president. If that move never happened, then you'd assume this whole thing now is solely Des' decision. And that boosters advised, suggested, pressured ... however you want to term it ... the president to stop the Mora hire, you now have another huge element in the heirarchy of the decision.

We can argue until we are blue in the face that boosters should not have this heavy of an impact. I'll absolutely agree with you on that. But instead of wishing it was different, it is the reality so you have to deal with it. Like fans that have high expectations and won't settle for a slow build, that's just the way it is and you aren't going to change it. So you accept it and deal with it.

Boosters always have an impact on the decisions. At UNLV, it's different than alot of places because overall, the booster network is small, they don't donate a ton, many of them aren't even alumni... it's a very non-traditional composition. That further murkies things. Especially when certain boosters step up and bring a lot more to the table than they ever have before.
If you can figure out the heirachy of power in this actual process, you'll have a better idea of what is true or not. I've been trying to wrap my brain around the possible scenarios and it's exhausting. There are a ton of possibilities, theories.... and much of it is guesswork until solid information comes in.

But that's where it gets even more sticky. It's like there are three poles in the pond working their own area. One is fishing where there are populous, easy to catch tiny fish, one is in deeper water looking for keepers and another pole is in the deepest water looking for trophy fish. And they are all throwing out distractions that will keep the others from catching fish. That's what it feels like to me. And it is absolutely not surprising if that's what's happening becuase that's the way it works around here. It's problematic. But it's the way it works.

I've intentionally stayed of social media because that just poisons my own well and I refuse to be part of the loose lips, look at me over here crowd. I have many sources, many of us do. I'm relying on that, not some randomly posted rapidly changing odds on twitter.

I knew something was wrong when everything was going so, so smoothly. Usually it's a roller coaster from start to finish, but these were calm waters for a long time and now the storm hit. I had this very discussion just two nights ago - this is going way, way too smoothly, something is off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News