ADVERTISEMENT

Boise…

Sounds like someone got tired of hearing the first words out of every HS kids mouth, "How much...?"

Doesn't sound like it applies to portal refugees.

If the new coaching staff is able to upgrade their players through coaching, it may not be a bad deal, but that will most likely delegate them to mid level or lower 3* players. If they are still going to be active in the transfer portal, it may not be a big deal to them? My other question would be if the BSU coach is even allowed to stop freshmen from collecting money since the school is not who pays the NIL money, and the courts said players are allowed to collect money for using their likeness?

It makes perfect logical sense.

What sounds crazier, having a policy where 18 year old kids, the vast majority of which will not be able to contribute much their first year, being prohibited to getting paid or paying the Manning kid gets millions of dollars to ride the pine?

Now legally? I'm sure they wouldn't be "banned" from all NIL, just from the school booster fund, and I'm guessing and TV revenue sharing that could come down the path. I don't think they could stop the kid from independently getting some sort of NIL deal outside of those options.

Could this hurt Boise? Perhaps. But I'm guessing that they have found out that the players that they would deem to be worth paying, they cannot afford anyway, at least not under the current climate. So I get it if they want to say that Freshman aren't getting NIL up front so they don't play that game. But it does box you in a corner if there is a player that you would want/afford. So it is a bit of a risk, but probably not a big one.

Last edited:
I think that this is actually smart. None of us saw Jett being a contributor his freshman season so who would have been happy about him taking a portion of our NIL fund before the first snap?

Portal is the current way to improve your team. The NCAA created this. Boise is just going to be the 'face' of this recruiting approach. Stop allowing every year transfers and this recruiting approach may need to be revisited.

This is what you have to tell freshman when you don't have a good NIL fund and gave a bunch of money to your star transfer QB and RB... we like to believe Boise has more NIL $, but it's possible they are just terrible at spending an average budget.

How many UNLV incoming Freshman are getting NIL money? Are MWC schools really giving $$ to a lot their HS recruits most of which are 0-3 star recruits or is Boise just saying what most are already doing? I have no idea I’m just curious.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I heard UNLV was going to pay a preferred walk-on about $3,500.00/month. He was an offensive lineman and he turned them down (Greener Pastures!). He also needed surgery to clean up an old injury on his shoulder and UNLV was going to pay for that too! It is a crazy world.

How many UNLV incoming Freshman are getting NIL money? Are MWC schools really giving $$ to a lot their HS recruits most of which are 0-3 star recruits or is Boise just saying what most are already doing? I have no idea I’m just curious.
Most I imagine are getting some support in addition to their scholarship and living stipends. They do appearances and poster signings just like everyone else. Or they do marketing videos etc. I think Boise is in a situation where they're trying to approach recruiting differently because they haven't been as successful as they have been in past doing traditional recruiting. He also saw his freshman QB jump ship due to NIL $ and got pushed into paying the RB by buying a house and expensive car or he was leaving. Maybe it's a leverage play, but just eliminating recruiting high value freshman regardless of their long term prospect seems short sided, especially for Boise which has always been about building success through their culture.

Seems like Danielson's comments were misconstrued a bit and, of course, social media took off with that. He said they're not going to funnel money from the collective to entice incoming freshmen. Freshmen are free to work with local businesses, etc, for NIL money. Anyway, here's something about that.

On3

Seems like Danielson's comments were misconstrued a bit and, of course, social media took off with that. He said they're not going to funnel money from the collective to entice incoming freshmen. Freshmen are free to work with local businesses, etc, for NIL money. Anyway, here's something about that.

On3
So riddle me this. How the F can a coach have anything to say about NIL opportunities or what a Collective might offer? Yeah I know there is a reality factor at play, but technically the school has no say over NIL deals. Correct?

So riddle me this. How the F can a coach have anything to say about NIL opportunities or what a Collective might offer? Yeah I know there is a reality factor at play, but technically the school has no say over NIL deals. Correct?
Coach is like the car salesman on the lot. Gets you to buy with some nice promises like free oil changes for life but then hands you off to the office staff inside who actually negotiate what they have to offer... or at least that's how I see it. They're not technically having a say, but they're managing the message

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT