ADVERTISEMENT

Big Weekend

reagan21

Rebel Legend
Sep 8, 2009
I’ll be pulling for Wyoming to lose, Hawaii to beat SJSU, Reno and UNM ending in a 0-0 tie, and (obviously) us to win. Is it crazy that the Rams are getting 12.5 at home to Air Force…on a day where it’s supposed to be snowing? Let’s go, Rams!

I’ll be pulling for Wyoming to lose, Hawaii to beat SJSU, Reno and UNM ending in a 0-0 tie, and (obviously) us to win. Is it crazy that the Rams are getting 12.5 at home to Air Force…on a day where it’s supposed to be snowing? Let’s go, Rams!
Until we lose, we can pin the next game as being the biggest game of the year. Once we drop one, yeah, still important, but when the goal is to bowl and we are getting that … then the (unrealistic) goal of winning league goes to the top. Kinda playing with house money right now.

Until we lose, we can pin the next game as being the biggest game of the year. Once we drop one, yeah, still important, but when the goal is to bowl and we are getting that … then the (unrealistic) goal of winning league goes to the top. Kinda playing with house money right now.
I agree we are somewhat playing with house money, but if we were to lose out it would really take a piss out of the fan base and the buzz.
Winning out seems to be very unlikely though not impossible.
But finishing in the top 2 to make a MW championship game seems more than possible. Losing another game or two could still qualify us for that one. That would be huge.

I agree we are somewhat playing with house money, but if we were to lose out it would really take a piss out of the fan base and the buzz.
Winning out seems to be very unlikely though not impossible.
But finishing in the top 2 to make a MW championship game seems more than possible. Losing another game or two could still qualify us for that one. That would be huge.
We are watching and hoping heading into November.

I’m happy for that. It’s been forever.

Yeah, can end up disappointed … but short of disaster here on out, overall I think we will consider it a successful season. Myself, I’m pretty good with that because when the first step is a very solid foundation … “hope” isn’t silly, it’s grounded in something other than “we are due” or backing a hire who isn’t doing anything or just dreaming we are something than not. There’s actually substance, there’s evidence of real growth, not feigned … that’s something I need to have hopes. I can’t blind faith it just because the alternate sucks too much.

Reactions: dcut03
You are right. Even losing out would constitute a successful season. Just not a a great way to finish.
But I agree. It is so fun to have the hope this late in the season. Looking for meaningful wins, still possible to get a seat in the MW championship games, decent bowl game, etc.
Obviously a MW championship would be huge, but more than that would be Hopefully a bump in hype for the program moving forward. A very good first year for this staff with a highly rated for the conference recruiting class will hopefully bump season tickets and turn the program into a money maker.

You are right. Even losing out would constitute a successful season. Just not a a great way to finish.
But I agree. It is so fun to have the hope this late in the season. Looking for meaningful wins, still possible to get a seat in the MW championship games, decent bowl game, etc.
Obviously a MW championship would be huge, but more than that would be Hopefully a bump in hype for the program moving forward. A very good first year for this staff with a highly rated for the conference recruiting class will hopefully bump season tickets and turn the program into a money maker.
The ultimate would be the championship. I think that would double ticket sales for next season. I really do.

It may be that we already have nearly as many Rebel fans at Rebel games as local Raider fans who attend Raider games. The following article doesn't give specific numbers but it does discuss the fact that for some games there are more opposing fans than Raider fans. This may show that the number of fans we can ever hope to get is lower than most of us hope.

It may be that we already have nearly as many Rebel fans at Rebel games as local Raider fans who attend Raider games. The following article doesn't give specific numbers but it does discuss the fact that for some games there are more opposing fans than Raider fans. This may show that the number of fans we can ever hope to get is lower than most of us hope.

The flip side is that the number that you can hope to get may be higher than most of you expect. The stadium venue and Vegas location are attractive to opposing fans.

Respect your opinion. But the only way we see 52,000 people in Allegiant is if our opponents bring 20,000.

UNLV is averaging around 22,5K, so double would be 45K.
I don't know what Joe meant, but doubling season ticket sales seems attainable. Not sure what they are, but I'm guessing it is less than 15k. Especially if they keep the prices reasonable.

It could be Raider fans are selling their tickets on the market to make some extra cash.

It could be Raider fans are selling their tickets on the market to make some extra cash.
I am a little surprised, but this was the business model on the move here. Now Mark Davis is complaining about it.

Vegas isn't that big of a market, and it's NFL fans typically already have some other allegiance (not pun intended) to a different franchise and likely reluctant to adopt another just because it is local.

I would imagine that the true Raider fans from out of state that have season ticket are selling their tickets to other fans. Not just because the Raiders have struggled, just because that is an expensive and time consuming hobby to travel to Vegas for every home game. I'm sure having 2 LA franchises now that have been mediocre to good may have cut into the LA Raider market.

The A's and potential NBA franchise owner should take notice. Sure you could make a profit here, but it will be at the expense of a true home field advantage and potentially hinder the competitive potential.

We have done better with brand new franchises. Not sure if a brand new NBA team would work or not. The A's though? Yeesh. But I don't think the owners care. They seem to be more interesting in earning money, not having a winning team.

Last edited:
Respect your opinion. But the only way we see 52,000 people in Allegiant is if our opponents bring 20,000.
Maybe not double, it certainly doesn’t look like we have 20k in stadium on TV. But I’m talking winning league, we very significantly increase our attendance. I can see us going from 20 to 30 quite easily, more for the bigger games.

I’m actually pulling for Wyoming this weekend. Help get Boise out of the MWC picture since we don’t get the chance to play them. It could potentially set up a huge November 10th game at Allegiant where the WYO/UNLV winner is in the driver’s seat to make the MWC Championship Game.

I don't know what Joe meant, but doubling season ticket sales seems attainable. Not sure what they are, but I'm guessing it is less than 15k. Especially if they keep the prices reasonable.
In my head, for games I haven’t attended but saw on TV, it appeared to be about 15k bodies and I was thinking we could get to 30. If my original estimate was wrong (appears it was) … then it looks way off. It’s semantics to me anyway, I just thinking winning league has a tremendous impact on season ticket sales.

Just win this week

On the attendance, I believe if UNLV 8-1 going in against Air Force, at least 30-35K, as long as they have decent kickoff time
Air Force is on the Road.

Next Home game is a late Friday game against Wyoming. (I'm coming home for that one!)

Win the next 2, hopefully a decent crowd for that one, but it is at a weird time and day.

then the next home game ins SJSU, last week of the season. Some potential for a decent crowd there.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Even as recently as 2007 UNLV averaged just under 30K per game with a much smaller alumni base and a much smaller metro population. Losing for decade after decade has been what has kept the attendance down. If UNLV can put together a few good years, I have no doubt they can at least double attendance to their games. An even better bump could come from being in a major conference which would bring fans from the other schools.

You can hear it every time you watch a game. Pittsburgh and GB fans made it sound like a home game.

If we win the championship I will move back to Las Vegas from Phoenix and buy season tickets

Can someone get me into a masters program so I have a reason to be there?

Winning the league i agree with Joe would help a ton with attendance . We cant just beat scrubs up and think its going to change things. IMO if we are a legitimate Top 50 team and have a chance to beat a TOP 25 team that would go a long way in increasing attendance. TOO many things to do in Vegas then watch a team in the SUB 70s. Only the diehards and true UNLV fans go to these games. We need bandwagoners and fairweather fans to show up and hopefully they become diehards.

A decade and a half ago UNLV averaged just under 30K per game. A steady meal of losing year after year slowly dried up the average and casual fans leaving only a relatively small number of diehard fans. Show a couple of years of winning and they will come back plus more.

UNLV averaged just under 28K per game back in 2003 (John Robinson coach), 2007 averaged 29,281 (most likely because they played both Wisconsin and BYU at home). Back in the 80's UNLV typically averaged 25K+ (can't find the older records) with a school that only had around 10K students and a metro population of around 550K. Since 2007 UNLV has gone from around 25K students to over 30K students, and Las Vegas metro population has increased from around 1.5 million to over 2.5 million.

As long as UNLV can put out a good product, I see no reason that they couldn't easily double the attendance in a few years. Keep the ticket and parking prices down, schedule better out of conference home games, and winning will do wonders!

I have noticed they are selling more tickets for the final two games, which could be boosted by beating Fresno State. If they could get over 25K for the last two games, that would be great!

A decade and a half ago UNLV averaged just under 30K per game. A steady meal of losing year after year slowly dried up the average and casual fans leaving only a relatively small number of diehard fans. Show a couple of years of winning and they will come back plus more.

UNLV averaged just under 28K per game back in 2003 (John Robinson coach), 2007 averaged 29,281 (most likely because they played both Wisconsin and BYU at home). Back in the 80's UNLV typically averaged 25K+ (can't find the older records) with a school that only had around 10K students and a metro population of around 550K. Since 2007 UNLV has gone from around 25K students to over 30K students, and Las Vegas metro population has increased from around 1.5 million to over 2.5 million.

As long as UNLV can put out a good product, I see no reason that they couldn't easily double the attendance in a few years. Keep the ticket and parking prices down, schedule better out of conference home games, and winning will do wonders!

I have noticed they are selling more tickets for the final two games, which could be boosted by beating Fresno State. If they could get over 25K for the last two games, that would be great!
Having a big time home game against a heavily traveling fanbase has definitely helped move the averages on many of our years. Even Iowa State with Brock Purdy brought a bunch a couple of years ago. I don't think we have lost fans. I do think the COVID years definitely affected attendance nationwide. numbers are back up, but still have been lacking at the low P5 and mid to low G5 level.

I wonder if we will go back to that strategy.

But those games are outliers. We need to get to the point where we are in the upper 20's or more on average.

I do think a MW title game would increase ticket sales.

Season tickets cost about as much as a single game for the Knights or Raiders. If interest increases, I hope they commit to a lower price and try to increase volume over trying to stick it to the loyal fan base.

Having a big time home game against a heavily traveling fanbase has definitely helped move the averages on many of our years. Even Iowa State with Brock Purdy brought a bunch a couple of years ago. I don't think we have lost fans. I do think the COVID years definitely affected attendance nationwide. numbers are back up, but still have been lacking at the low P5 and mid to low G5 level.

I wonder if we will go back to that strategy.

But those games are outliers. We need to get to the point where we are in the upper 20's or more on average.

I do think a MW title game would increase ticket sales.

Season tickets cost about as much as a single game for the Knights or Raiders. If interest increases, I hope they commit to a lower price and try to increase volume over trying to stick it to the loyal fan base.
I hope we don’t lure teams with large traveling fan bases as a means to boost attendance. It mitigates against our home field advantage (such as it’s been over the years). I’d prefer we build our home grown attendance. Of course that means we have to win but for once in my memory we actually appear to be heading in the direction of being consistently competitive (small sample size as it is).

Reactions: reagan21 and dcut03
I hope we don’t lure teams with large traveling fan bases as a means to boost attendance. It mitigates against our home field advantage (such as it’s been over the years). I’d prefer we build our home grown attendance. Of course that means we have to win but for once in my memory we actually appear to be heading in the direction of being consistently competitive (small sample size as it is).
I agree. I would rather have a payday by going to a P5 school on the road. Maybe not a top 10 team every year, but a good conference that would still net a decent sum of money. And more importantly, a game we could win.
Like was Fresno did this year, for instance.

I agree. I would rather have a payday by going to a P5 school on the road. Maybe not a top 10 team every year, but a good conference that would still net a decent sum of money. And more importantly, a game we could win.
Like was Fresno did this year, for instance.
Would a school like Vanderbilt pay a good amount of money for us to play them at home? I'm guessing probably not. But yeah, it would be nice to catch a win in one of those 'pay' type of games, like FSU did this year.

Games against teams like Bryant may normally, not so much for UNLV of the past, be a win, but those types of games do nothing towards ticket sales. UNLV season ticket sales will do much better if we can schedule more programs like UCLA, Nebraska, Iowa, etc...... In the short run those schools may bring good crowds, but in the long run it will help develop better season ticket sales. How many times do you see people complain about playing weak basketball programs at home?

Would a school like Vanderbilt pay a good amount of money for us to play them at home? I'm guessing probably not. But yeah, it would be nice to catch a win in one of those 'pay' type of games, like FSU did this year.
Not as much as Michigan of course. But the floor of those games are going to be pretty high just due to their tv contracts.
Fresno at ASU probably wasn't spectacular, though I'm guess the Purdue game was pretty solid from being a big 10 school.

Games against teams like Bryant may normally, not so much for UNLV of the past, be a win, but those types of games do nothing towards ticket sales. UNLV season ticket sales will do much better if we can schedule more programs like UCLA, Nebraska, Iowa, etc...... In the short run those schools may bring good crowds, but in the long run it will help develop better season ticket sales. How many times do you see people complain about playing weak basketball programs at home?
For sure but go for more winnable games that still might bring in some fans. BYU is a good example of course.
I wonder if USC and UCLA would be more willing since their in conference schedule is about to suck for them. They would be less likely to be competitive. Especially USC.
Nebraska would be great. They would bring fans and still be competitive.

If we put one low level Big ten team in Allegiant every other year I'd like that.

For sure but go for more winnable games that still might bring in some fans. BYU is a good example of course.
I wonder if USC and UCLA would be more willing since their in conference schedule is about to suck for them. They would be less likely to be competitive. Especially USC.
Oh shit, Doc. You got the fever now.

That is why I mentioned schools like those who in most years are a mid level program. It was great when we had the home and home with UCLA! I would also love to see us play Wisconsin again!

Boy there sure is a whole lot of optimism in this thread. The "MW Conference Champion game" is something that we mathematically look like we are headed for- so Chart our course. Go Rebels

Anybody without Rebel blood running thru their veins knows, that is not likely at all. If we can stay with 10 points of FSU i might change my tune, but i think we are drinking the Kool-aid a little bit here. I think After today we will be aligned with reality a little bit more.

Boy there sure is a whole lot of optimism in this thread. The "MW Conference Champion game" is something that we mathematically look like we are headed for- so Chart our course. Go Rebels

Anybody without Rebel blood running thru their veins knows, that is not likely at all. If we can stay with 10 points of FSU i might change my tune, but i think we are drinking the Kool-aid a little bit here. I think After today we will be aligned with reality a little bit more.
You are blinded by the the names on the jerseys. Look at the schedules and how each team has faired. Practically no difference between FSU and UNLV.
I'm not saying we will win, but objectively this season this is an even match up on paper.
These aren't the SOR. They have proven they aren't by how they have played this season, most specifically keeping resolve and pulling out wins on close games. Games that would normally have been collapses.
Even IF we were the SOR. 10 points? We have played FSU close the last few match ups. Including last year where Fresno was definitely better and we were definitely worse.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT