ADVERTISEMENT

Beard met with the players

Beard isnt a homerun hence the animosity towards tina. But augmon simply isnt qualified. Rice wasnt only fired because of the games he lost this season, it was his pattern of his teams getting worse as the season progressed. Did you watch the fresno state or arizona state games? Defensive battles? With like 5 minutes left (maybe more) fresno states whole starting line up had 4 fouls. Nobody attacked the basket, and thus noone fouled out. Thats simply a failure at coaching, and augmon was a part of that. Thats just one example among many. Ive never witnessed a team coached as poorly as our rebels during the rice era. Its been really really bad. I think youre blocking out the memories of the fsu and asu games. And again augmon was a part of that, regardless of how much he tried to distance himself.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThailandReb
Tark, your posts are borderline creepy...you need to get out of 1990 and come to reality. Just because Augmon was a good player does not entitle him to anything. If that was the case, why dont we give it to LJ since he is probably the best player to ever play here.

If my posts disturb you, that’s regrettable. I guess I’ll have to accept that we won’t be beer-buddies…damn!:beer:

Perhaps I’d take your critique a bit more seriously had you at least followed the gist of the thread. You seem to be of the opinion that my remarks were in support of Stacey’s bid to be Head Coach (“Give it to LJ”). While I would have celebrated such a decision, it’s an argument for another thread.

My comments, as you would have noted, had you been able to keep your discomfort-level in check, were about the blatant disrespect that I felt was being directed at him by the use of certain terms. That’s all, nothing else.

And I don’t “need to get out of 1990”. I live, very much in the present. Cherishing memories of a different era is one of the joys of life. It doesn’t imply that you’re…stuck. Perhaps one day you’ll have experiences that you can look back on with pleasure.

Reactions: the Florian Trout
Beard isnt a homerun hence the animosity towards tina. But augmon simply isnt qualified. Rice wasnt only fired because of the games he lost this season, it was his pattern of his teams getting worse as the season progressed. Did you watch the fresno state or arizona state games? Defensive battles? With like 5 minutes left (maybe more) fresno states whole starting line up had 4 fouls. Nobody attacked the basket, and thus noone fouled out. Thats simply a failure at coaching, and augmon was a part of that. Thats just one example among many. Ive never witnessed a team coached as poorly as our rebels during the rice era. Its been really really bad. I think youre blocking out the memories of the fsu and asu games. And again augmon was a part of that, regardless of how much he tried to distance himself.

amen amen amen...we need to all move on... coach beard...he only has one job...put w's in that column...that is the object of this game is it not? defense, offense, press-doesnt matter, only that we score more than the other guy. i personally think he will be just fine

We already hired a former player. His name was Rice, he recruited players he couldn't handle and we fired him. No more former players until Kevin Kruger gets experience in about 15 years.

Reactions: Corp03
Stacey is my favorite former Rebel as a player and I feel he would have been a heck of a coach. Him being slighted for the head coaching job twice in the same year is a travesty.
Beard has never been a college basketball player and has a single year of being a head coach at the highest level which is equivilent to being a successful interim coach.
The D2 level of basketball is less competitive than coaching at Gorman of Findley Prep. You don't even need properly proportioned players or athletes at each position to win.
The quality players play for one of the 351 D1 teams or go JC rather than play D2.
He may prove to be a good hire but he is equally as likely to fall far short of making the team competitive

So Beard, coaching teams with equal talent to the teams they faced won at each of his stops.

Augmon on the otherhand was a member of a coaching staff with supposedly superior talent vs the rest of the conference and had diminishing returns 5 straight years.

Beard's 2* players playing against other 2* players had winning records.

And

UNLV and their 4/5* players playing against 2/3* kids finished 6th and 7th in conference.

please!!! go do some more homework and get off the augmon bandwagon. augmon needs to go coach for 15 years and reapply for UNLV. sorry, augmon was the least qualified of the candidates

He wasn't even remotely qualified; it continues to shock me that some who watched him as an assistant the past 5 years think he showed anything to indicate he'd even be a decent coach.

Good points. Those who want Augmon are so clearly seduced by his impressive career as a player and place in UNLV history, they are letting their feelings cloud their judgement about his capability as a coach.

Exactly. Does it hurt, and is it awful that we gotta turn a unlv legend down? Absolutely. His audition was the last 5 years, and i wasnt impressed. Beard is hands down the better choice of the two.

As for beard? Hes not in my top 5, probably not even top 10 (id have to think about it). But he is better than menzies by far.

Like i said in my other post beard has shown some promise. Hes mostly unknown. Lets fire tina and hope for the best

Also shame on augmon for what he said, and i also think he encouraged his son. Augmon should have swallowed his ego and shut his mouth. Instead he made it much worse

I disagree with the notion that making Augmon an interim coach automatically means he gets the permanent HC job. If he did well and the team responded positively to his leadership then why not give him the reins? If he doesn't improve the team's performance then his argument that he should be the HC is given less credence and it makes it easier to hire someone else. I don't understand all the underhanded scheming that went into this fiasco. There's more than enough crap to throw around in regards to the way this season went down. Augmon could've stayed in the NBA and not dealt with this garbage but he voluntarily came back in hopes of bringing back some of the glory Tark founded in this town. He deserved to be treated better. Had he 'kept his mouth shut' would that have somehow improved his chances of getting a fair shake? Doubtful.

I disagree with the notion that making Augmon an interim coach automatically means he gets the permanent HC job. If he did well and the team responded positively to his leadership then why not give him the reins? If he doesn't improve the team's performance then his argument that he should be the HC is given less credence and it makes it easier to hire someone else. I don't understand all the underhanded scheming that went into this fiasco. There's more than enough crap to throw around in regards to the way this season went down. Augmon could've stayed in the NBA and not dealt with this garbage but he voluntarily came back in hopes of bringing back some of the glory Tark founded in this town. He deserved to be treated better. Had he 'kept his mouth shut' would that have somehow improved his chances of getting a fair shake? Doubtful.

Fair enough and well-presented; the best "pro-Augmon defence i've heard so far. But it begs the question what would have constituted "did well"?

One could argue Simon did well given that he finished 8-7 in MWC after Rice had started 0-3, and that was dealing with more injuries and roster depletion than Rice as well. I'm still very glad we ended up with Beard over him.

A half-season as an interim is such a small sample size, but had Stacey had the exact same results as Simon, the calls for him to be named permanent HC by the many Rebel fans seduced by his legendary status would have been 1,000 times greater... there qas no big outcry wgen Simon left for SUU but imagine if it had been Stacey with those results.

I can see why they made the move they did.

Reactions: UnlvRebelde
Augmon wasnt made the interim. I dont see the point in debating the hypothetical "if he was hired". He should have kept his mouth shut because all he did was make the situation much much worse. He also showed a lack of poise and frankly maturity

Lets be real. He threw a tantrum. Made it personal. And made the situation, which sucked to begin with, suck way more. And really it gave another reason why we shouldnt hire him.

Still, hes a legend. One of my favorite rebels. He needs to go out and learn more. Get some more experience, and if we have a vacancy down the line, and hes gained the qualifications unlv coaches should have, then yes give him a shot

Last edited:
If you give him the interim job you are locked in to give him the HC job at the end of the season. You can't give him the interim and then toss him to the curb. That would be seen as betrayal as well. It's a lose/lose situation for Stacey and the school. He would have had a similar record to what Simon had if he was made interim. Are you really going to justify giving him the job after that?

I disagree. Less of an argument could be made if he got the interim position and then we moved on just like we did. Just like Simon he could have then went out and got a HC gig somewhere else hopefully. They would not have been obligated to give him the job at all and it would have shown some loyalty to him. I understand the argument that we don't have an obligation to give him the job regardless of what his accomplishments were at UNLV but the perception of it being a screw job orchestrated by a booster locally and nationally is a problem and that's why we are discussing this today.

I just can't understand.....I love Augmon, but I saw not a single spark of something that suggested he would be the right head coach for UNLV.

And can someone name a single elite or aspiring elite team that has hired an alum with no head coaching experience at all (and assistant coaching experience with a disappointing record) to lead their team?

The administration is gambling our legacy....once again....that this hire will work out. I hope the gamble pays off for once. But hiring someone on name alone with no resume' to speak of is putting your paycheck on Powerball.
I didn't say give him the HC job. I said that he should have been given the Interim job. Also Kevin Ollie I believe was a UCONN player with no HC experience wasn't he? I think he played there anyway. I'm not trying to argue here I am just saying that if they gave him the Interim job it would have lessened the controversy. Hey it's just my opinion. I could be wrong you could be wrong.. Whatever, it's just a thought and we don't know. I just don't like that it took 16 years for the Rebel family of players to feel like they could be apart of the school again only to let something like this screw it up again.

I didn't say give him the HC job. I said that he should have been given the Interim job. Also Kevin Ollie I believe was a UCONN player with no HC experience wasn't he? I think he played there anyway. I'm not trying to argue here I am just saying that if they gave him the Interim job it would have lessened the controversy.

It also could have greatly strengthened the controversy like i said in earlier post. Look at all the support Augmon has gotten with NO qualifications; with a half season as interim, that support would have been even stronger.

Ollie served 2 years as an assistant under one of the best in the business, Calhoun (hate the guy but u can't bash his accomplishments), including a freaking national championship year, before he became HC. Far different situation than 5 years as an assistant for an underachieving dumpster fire.

Still, Ollie is an exception to the rule; for every Ollie there are 10 or more ex-players who turn out more similar to Clyde Drexler.

I agree it is very unfortunate what happened but it didn't have to be like this if Stacey hadn't felt entitled to the job.

Interesting that people are mentioning Augmon again. Man, what a forlorn situation that was. I think more than anything it was just sad to see it go down like that. I loved those legendary Tark teams and my love for the basketball team is basically the reason why I went to UNLV for my undergrad as funny as that sounds. Yeah, there is some mourning a little bit in regard to some pro-Augmon sentiment on here. But you can understand it, of course. Tired of dealing with this narrative where you have people that I think are embarrassed of the past and almost distancing themselves in a way where they feel ashamed of those players because of what happened with the NCAA. But hey, I accept what happened. We still won a championship. It's still part of history. It's still the largest margin of victory in a natty. Kind of a bummer because it took a long time to mend the wounds and now they are reopened again. Sure there were bad moments on both sides. Augmon shouldn't have reacted like that. I understand his frustration as a legendary Rebel doing his best to revive the program, but yeah, he shouldn't have done that. However, it didn't help passing over him as interim head coach. Just a terrible situation overall. But whatever, it's over now. Obviously, they are moving in another direction. I'm still going to support my alma mater. And I hope Stacey does well wherever he goes.

As for Beard and this new era, considering the circumstances, I think it was a pretty decent hire.

One thing that struck me, did you guys notice when he slammed his hand on the hardwood at center court after upsetting Purdue? Although very brief and quick, I'm so glad the camera zoomed in on that as it was happening. I loved seeing that. Seems like a guy who truly savors every opportunity and appreciates everything. That's the type of coach I want. It doesn't matter what the circumstances are. First year? New Players? No problem. Just win. I love that about him. The fire. The determination to go from small-time to big-time. I've been following that Little Rock team all year. What a great story that was. 30 wins in his first year? Incredible. Quite pleased considering everything. I'm glad we got someone that has momentum going into next season. Can't wait to see what he does.

I didn't say give him the HC job. I said that he should have been given the Interim job. Also Kevin Ollie I believe was a UCONN player with no HC experience wasn't he? I think he played there anyway. I'm not trying to argue here I am just saying that if they gave him the Interim job it would have lessened the controversy. Hey it's just my opinion. I could be wrong you could be wrong.. Whatever, it's just a thought and we don't know. I just don't like that it took 16 years for the Rebel family of players to feel like they could be apart of the school again only to let something like this screw it up again.

I beg to differ on the 16 years, more like 25...that being said...all those players that have alienated from UNLV was THEIR choice. They all got ticked off from the Tark firing and became disloyal...poor reason. Either you are a Rebel or you are not. I am taking my ball and never coming back. IMHO that was childish and disrespectful to a school that gave you a free education to play basketball. The door swings both ways. We could have used all their support with all the coaches after the Tark firing. Did they support UNLV? No. So, I really don't want to hear about all this loyalty crap and be part of the school again. It was their choice to stay away. That has bugged me for all these 25 or so years. They need to man up and support the Rebels. Ok, I'm done venting. Wasn't replying to you personally, just a good place to intervene.

i agree with both sides...to a point. i'm not that stubborn.

the problem started with the mid-season firing. that's the 3rd biggest *&%$up in the history of UNLV. 1st Tark, 2nd wife drop off at the curb, and then this, followed by giving the high school coach (with a good friend) the interim job and the one chance for any of the assistants to become the next head coach.

i love how you guys have the answer on how he should've acted. did he handle everything in the aftermath to perfection? probably not, but i don't blame him. he's been screwed over by "Harvard of the West" multiple times. any thought that maybe, just maybe he just got tired of it?

screwed over Tark (coach)
screwed over Rice (friend)
screwed him (and Miller over)

that sh!t would have to get old and i really won't be surprised if he does a racial discrimination lawsuit to give UNLV a grand F*CK YOU back.

do i think he should've been given the head coach position. nah, probably not, but over Menzies & especially Pasterneck, yes, i do.

Beard's resume doesn't impress me that much, but he has been a head coach for one year and that apparently was one of the qualifications. the lower division stuff impresses me as much as being a head coach of a Costa Rican team. i don't know, maybe i can blame Hauck for that. we will see what this guy can do. i think it's a roll of the dice, but i think everyone other than Pitino is just that.

i love how you guys have the answer on how he should've acted. did he handle everything in the aftermath to perfection? probably not, but i don't blame him. he's been screwed over by "Harvard of the West" multiple times. any thought that maybe, just maybe he just got tired of it?

Exactly! He played the good soldier and kept silent when he clearly deserved the interim job over Simon. His wife, on the other hand, let her displeasure be known, and was roundly criticized. I believe he felt that his passive response to the snub was a mistake, so when the search for a new Head Coach began, he tried the opposite approach. Or maybe his spouse was egging him on.

Either way, he wasn’t going to get the job, no matter what. After Rice failed, TK-M was never going to take a chance on another former Rebel with no HC experience under his belt. As I’ve expressed in several threads, Stacey needs to seek the top job at a lower-level school. If he proves his worth, he could return to the Rebels in a few years, should Beard move on, as he’s prone to do.

all those players that have alienated from UNLV was THEIR choice. They all got ticked off from the Tark firing and became disloyal...poor reason. Either you are a Rebel or you are not.

Thar’s a gross over-simplification of the facts. It wasn’t just the players who withdrew their loyalty to the school. The entire city split into two camps. The Tark firing was the ugliest event in Las Vegas history. Bugsy Siegel and Lefty Rosenthal were honorable men compared to Robert Maxson and Dennis Frinfrock. I’m not going to recap the entire affair, as I assume most fans are aware, and if not, they should read-up on it.

But suffice it to say that many Rebel fans, myself included, were so disgusted by the affair that it took a few years to return to the fold. You want to label me, and many others, a bad fan? All I can say is that it was our intense support for the Rebels, not the opposite that led to withdrawal from the administration that acted in such an underhanded manner. The hiring of Rollie Massimino completed the circle. I’m truly sorry that the kids got caught in the middle, but the powers that be deserved absolutely nothing.

It was only with the departure of all those responsible for the healing to begin.

The athletic department has been completely inefficient in the last 20 years. That is my statement. If you didagree I would be more than happy to listen to your reasoning. Hopefully this message will clarify for you thats its not about who was selected
Agreed, the athletic department has been a model of incompetency since the day Tark was fired. Here's hoping Coach Beard continues the promise he has shown in his prior jobs.

Reactions: Mjs_702
Many of the problems could be fixed if they do not renew the contract for TKM (or if she retires). From what I have seen Sanchez has been a great hire and will have the football team at or near the top of the MWC within the next couple of years. I just hope beard can first do as good of a job as he has as coach at other schools, and they are willing to increase the pay to keep him instead of letting him go like when Kruger left (understood that many people wanted him gone, so they were less willing to find the money to keep him).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT