ADVERTISEMENT

Beard met with the players

We'll know who's afraid of hard work by who walks out the door. Ben Carter was the hardest worker on the team and hopefully his injury heals in time for him to be the cornerstone next season. In Beard we trust!

We'll know who's afraid of hard work by who walks out the door.

Nah, no judgement. As far as I'm concerned anyone who wants to leave can and should. Playing for Beard is going to be a different experience than playing for Rice on a lot of levels. For me whoever transfers over this will leave as a friend of the program (assuming they stay classy and don't hate on the way out).

Now those who decide to stick around and take a shot with the Beard- that shows confidence and character. It's the kinda person who thinks "I can play in any system" and "I'm not scared to show the new coach I belong". I like that kind of mentality. Here's hoping seniors Ben and CO stick around and lead with that mindset.

***Coaches are a different story obviously. I think Stacey needs to leave, but clearly that has nothing to do with his work ethic or with Beard- he's just ready to get HC experience somewhere.

Well, this is where the real drama will play out, i.e., with the current players and the new commits.

Sure hope we keep our core, especially McCaw and Carter. Derrick Jones, too, but I thought I already read something about him leaving. Cornish and Poyser would be nice to keep also.

CeuMMAkW4AA2EdB.jpg:large

10 scholarship Rebs today. How many stay?
(largely pointless * rankings are recruiting composite from 24/7)

Ï
CeuMMAkW4AA2EdB.jpg:large

10 scholarship Rebs today. How many stay?
(largely pointless * rankings are recruiting composite from 24/7)

Thats a fine looking team right there.. my guess is Top 3 stay, McCaw tests NBA but comes back, DJ gone given he still cant play, would love to keep Jackson signed, Poyser/Cornish toss up, think in end both stay but depends on who is talking to who, Johnson stays signed, Fisher depends on Miller

Reactions: Mjs_702
Nah, no judgement. As far as I'm concerned anyone who wants to leave can and should. Playing for Beard is going to be a different experience than playing for Rice on a lot of levels. For me whoever transfers over this will leave as a friend of the program (assuming they stay classy and don't hate on the way out).

Now those who decide to stick around and take a shot with the Beard- that shows confidence and character. It's the kinda person who thinks "I can play in any system" and "I'm not scared to show the new coach I belong". I like that kind of mentality. Here's hoping seniors Ben and CO stick around and lead with that mindset.

***Coaches are a different story obviously. I think Stacey needs to leave, but clearly that has nothing to do with his work ethic or with Beard- he's just ready to get HC experience somewhere.

Agree. I can't hate on them for choosing UNLV, expecting one thing and then getting something very different. What the players went through this year was as rough as I can remember for a Rebel team.

Reactions: Mjs_702
This seems to be a banner year for players transferring to other schools. A lot seem to be eligible to play right away via graduate transfer. I'm not sure any of the current roster can transfer and play right away correct? I think any who do have to sit out a year so I think that might keep this roster intact. And as far as I know I think Carter and Opkepka (?) already used up their transfers. But from what I heard Beard has great connections in Texas and can fill in with JC players if need be. I think we will be okay.

Augmon's ridiculous PR campaign in season and subsequent, inevitable failure to get the job may have soured a lot of them. I hope they stay but if they go they go. Time to let the New Guy put his stamp on the program.

Reactions: ThailandReb
Augmon's ridiculous PR campaign in season and subsequent, inevitable failure to get the job may have soured a lot of them. I hope they stay but if they go they go. Time to let the New Guy put his stamp on the program.

Augmon's clown act

How about we show a little respect for a man who was hugely instrumental in creating the legend that is Runnin' Rebel basketball.

His quest for the job was doomed from the start, thanks to another former player with zero HC experience, fouling the water for any that followed.

But you can't blame him for making his desire known to the administration after being passed over for the interim job, when it was obvious that he was the most deserving. I'm sure he felt that his naturally quiet nature may have cost him. So he tried a different approach.

Suggesting that it was an unwise strategy is your right. But introducing terms like "clown" and "circus act" are both mean-spirited and condescending towards someone who deserves much, much better...

Listen TarkisGod (No he's not, neither is Stacey); First off I didn't introduce the word "circus", just responded to it. Secondly, I have no problem with Augmon campaigning for the job but don't do it publicly, in the middle of the season, all it did was create more instability. He's not a clown but that was indeed an act of clownery that added to the whole circus-like performance.

Stacey is my favorite former Rebel as a player and I feel he would have been a heck of a coach. Him being slighted for the head coaching job twice in the same year is a travesty.
Beard has never been a college basketball player and has a single year of being a head coach at the highest level which is equivilent to being a successful interim coach.
The D2 level of basketball is less competitive than coaching at Gorman of Findley Prep. You don't even need properly proportioned players or athletes at each position to win.
The quality players play for one of the 351 D1 teams or go JC rather than play D2.
He may prove to be a good hire but he is equally as likely to fall far short of making the team competitive

There really is no comparison between the qualifications of Augmon and Beard:

1991–1995 Texas (asst.)
1995–1996 Incarnate Word (asst.)
1996–1997 Abilene Christian (asst.)
1997–1999 North Texas (asst.)
1999–2000 Fort Scott CC
2000–2001 Seminole State (OK) JC
2001–2011 Texas Tech (assoc. HC)
2011–2012 South Carolina Warriors
2012–2013 McMurry
2013–2015 Angelo State
2015–2016 Arkansas–Little Rock

2007–2011 Denver Nuggets (asst.)
2011–present UNLV Runnin' Rebels (asst.)

I am sorry, but to try and compare a person with less than 9 years of coaching and no head coach experience with another candidate with 25 years of experience including 7 years as a head coach is a little ridiculous. Beard has taken over mostly teams with bad records and immediately turned the programs around, while on the other side Augmon has coached at one college team that was on a 5 year slide.

Coaching is a career that is learned over decades, and not learned just because you play the game or everyone would be a coach.

The only cracking in the armor is the fact that he has moved along quickly. But,he has been at lower level programs with low pay, and has always had the chance to move to better jobs with better pay.

How about we show a little respect for a man who was hugely instrumental in creating the legend that is Runnin' Rebel basketball.

His quest for the job was doomed from the start, thanks to another former player with zero HC experience, fouling the water for any that followed.

But you can't blame him for making his desire known to the administration after being passed over for the interim job, when it was obvious that he was the most deserving. I'm sure he felt that his naturally quiet nature may have cost him. So he tried a different approach.

Suggesting that it was an unwise strategy is your right. But introducing terms like "clown" and "circus act" are both mean-spirited and condescending towards someone who deserves much, much better...

We may not always agree but this is a fantastic post. Thanks for making it.

Reactions: yanquibero
Listen TarkisGod (No he's not, neither is Stacey); First off I didn't introduce the word "circus", just responded to it. Secondly, I have no problem with Augmon campaigning for the job but don't do it publicly, in the middle of the season, all it did was create more instability. He's not a clown but that was indeed an act of clownery that added to the whole circus-like performance.

My introduction to "circus" revolves around the administration. That you also attached it to Augmon has nothung to do with my statement. Matter of fact, I wanted Augmon as coach. I made the assumption that all understood this since it is the norm for the last 20 years. Did i use the word? Yes. Was it directed at Augmon? Not mine. Seems like someone is trying to point fingers. Hmm...that is common of the athletic department. Are you a part of it?

The only one's pointing fingers are the people with the Hire Augmon agenda. The rest of us support the program first.

Listen TarkisGod (No he's not, neither is Stacey)

Manic water, I’m aware of your feelings about this but I am un-apologetic about the reverence I have for Stacey & Tark. I have no idea if you were a Vegas resident in the late ‘80’s. I find it very hard to believe that anyone who was here would feel as you do.

We’re not just talking about wins and losses, or even National Championships. Lots of places experience those same things. But the electrifying brand of basketball, the outlaw personae and most importantly the pride in community that they brought to our city was one of the great thrills in all of our lives. We lived vicariously through that team and it was spectacular.

If you tell me that you were here, and that you find my hyperbole too over-the-top, so be it. But again, I make no apologies. I will continue to hold Stacey & Tark in the highest esteem. They are responsible for some of the fondest memories in my life. No, they don’t compare to things like my marriage, or the birth of my children, however, traveling around town in a UNLV t-shirt or cap, perfect strangers would share a smile and a shout, spreading a warmth in what could often be a cold city. It was like every Las Vegan had a broad grin that simply wouldn't fade.

BTW, Mjs_702, I appreciate the kind words. I wanted to hit the “like” button, but that seemed rather tactless. Needless to say, I “liked” it…[thumb2]

The only one's pointing fingers are the people with the Hire Augmon agenda. The rest of us support the program first.
Wow. Reminds me why I stopped posting after AOL. Did I say I would stop supporting the program? If I did I wouldnt be here. Let me guide you back to what i was discussing much like I do with my kids. My statement is directed at the athletic department like I posted a second time to clarify. So hopefully, the 3rd time makes it clear for you.
The athletic department has been completely inefficient in the last 20 years. That is my statement. If you didagree I would be more than happy to listen to your reasoning. Hopefully this message will clarify for you thats its not about who was selected

Reactions: nevron
They should have still given Stacey the Interim job though regardless. That was a diss in the face of all the Rebel brotherhood that will be around along time.

Say what you want but there is something to say about all of our ex- Rebels who came here and played. They loved Tark and they stick up for each other.

So because TKM 's lack of balls to stick up to a mediocre booster we are now watching arguably one of the greatest players at UNLV feel betrayed and that's not right no matter what.

The interim job should have been his at least.

Reactions: JTthe2nd
Tark, your posts are borderline creepy...you need to get out of 1990 and come to reality. Just because Augmon was a good player does not entitle him to anything. If that was the case, why dont we give it to LJ since he is probably the best player to ever play here.

They should have still given Stacey the Interim job though regardless. That was a diss in the face of all the Rebel brotherhood that will be around along time.

Say what you want but there is something to say about all of our ex- Rebels who came here and played. They loved Tark and they stick up for each other.

So because TKM 's lack of balls to stick up to a mediocre booster we are now watching arguably one of the greatest players at UNLV feel betrayed and that's not right no matter what.

The interim job should have been his at least.
If you give him the interim job you are locked in to give him the HC job at the end of the season. You can't give him the interim and then toss him to the curb. That would be seen as betrayal as well. It's a lose/lose situation for Stacey and the school. He would have had a similar record to what Simon had if he was made interim. Are you really going to justify giving him the job after that?

If you give him the interim job you are locked in to give him the HC job at the end of the season. You can't give him the interim and then toss him to the curb. That would be seen as betrayal as well. It's a lose/lose situation for Stacey and the school. He would have had a similar record to what Simon had if he was made interim. Are you really going to justify giving him the job after that?

I just can't understand.....I love Augmon, but I saw not a single spark of something that suggested he would be the right head coach for UNLV.

And can someone name a single elite or aspiring elite team that has hired an alum with no head coaching experience at all (and assistant coaching experience with a disappointing record) to lead their team?

The administration is gambling our legacy....once again....that this hire will work out. I hope the gamble pays off for once. But hiring someone on name alone with no resume' to speak of is putting your paycheck on Powerball.

I just can't understand.....I love Augmon, but I saw not a single spark of something that suggested he would be the right head coach for UNLV.

And can someone name a single elite or aspiring elite team that has hired an alum with no head coaching experience at all (and assistant coaching experience with a disappointing record) to lead their team?

The administration is gambling our legacy....once again....that this hire will work out. I hope the gamble pays off for once. But hiring someone on name alone with no resume' to speak of is putting your paycheck on Powerball.
I didn't want augmon. Just stating why it would have been difficult if he was made interim. The guy I was responding to said, "the interim job should have been his at least." Problems would have been created of that happened.

I didn't want augmon. Just stating why it would have been difficult if he was made interim. The guy I was responding to said, "the interim job should have been his at least." Problems would have been created of that happened.

Wasn't arguing with you, just piggybacking onto your comment, with which I agree.

Dr. Evil: This got weird, didn't it?

Frau: Ja.

Dr. Evil: I knew it.

Frau: You haven't called.

Dr. Evil: Look, we talked about this. We promised each other it wouldn't get weird.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
There really is no comparison between the qualifications of Augmon and Beard:

1991–1995 Texas (asst.)
1995–1996 Incarnate Word (asst.)
1996–1997 Abilene Christian (asst.)
1997–1999 North Texas (asst.)
1999–2000 Fort Scott CC
2000–2001 Seminole State (OK) JC
2001–2011 Texas Tech (assoc. HC)
2011–2012 South Carolina Warriors
2012–2013 McMurry
2013–2015 Angelo State
2015–2016 Arkansas–Little Rock

2007–2011 Denver Nuggets (asst.)
2011–present UNLV Runnin' Rebels (asst.)

I am sorry, but to try and compare a person with less than 9 years of coaching and no head coach experience with another candidate with 25 years of experience including 7 years as a head coach is a little ridiculous. Beard has taken over mostly teams with bad records and immediately turned the programs around, while on the other side Augmon has coached at one college team that was on a 5 year slide.

Coaching is a career that is learned over decades, and not learned just because you play the game or everyone would be a coach.

The only cracking in the armor is the fact that he has moved along quickly. But,he has been at lower level programs with low pay, and has always had the chance to move to better jobs with better pay.

Ignoring the fact that Stacey was an active player in the NBA until he went into coaching

Being a coach and a player are alike as being a race car driver and engine mechanic. Not every player can coach, and this seems especially true of the superstars. And not every great coach was a great player.

The Dave Rice final Rebel team beat Indiana (27-8) and Oregon (31-7) but lost to Arizona (25-9), Wichita State (26-9), Arizona State and UCLA (2-points).
He was fired after falling in defensive battles to Fresno State (25-10), Colorado State (18-16) and Wyoming (14-18) by a combined 6 points.

Beard's UALR fell to Texas Tech (19-13 by 13-point), Arkansas St (11-20 by 3-points), Louisiana-Monroe (20-14 by 4-points) and Appalachian St (9-22 by 6-points).
He did beat SDSU in the first game of the season 49-43 and Tulsa 64-60 (20-12) but played no other team with a winning record until he hit conference play. There is credit for a gutsy double overtime win in the first round on the NCAA but they followed it with a 17 point loss to Iowa State in the second round.

UALR plays in a far less impressive conference than the MWC and his team produced some horrible losses in his single season in the program. The strength of schedule of UALR ranked 232 versus a 113 at UNLV.

There is no way he is a home run hire and Augmon was by far the most positive fire for the program and for potential recruits.

The Dave Rice final Rebel team beat Indiana (27-8) and Oregon (31-7) but lost to Arizona (25-9), Wichita State (26-9), Arizona State and UCLA (2-points).
He was fired after falling in defensive battles to Fresno State (25-10), Colorado State (18-16) and Wyoming (14-18) by a combined 6 points.

Beard's UALR fell to Texas Tech (19-13 by 13-point), Arkansas St (11-20 by 3-points), Louisiana-Monroe (20-14 by 4-points) and Appalachian St (9-22 by 6-points).
He did beat SDSU in the first game of the season 49-43 and Tulsa 64-60 (20-12) but played no other team with a winning record until he hit conference play. There is credit for a gutsy double overtime win in the first round on the NCAA but they followed it with a 17 point loss to Iowa State in the second round.

UALR plays in a far less impressive conference than the MWC and his team produced some horrible losses in his single season in the program. The strength of schedule of UALR ranked 232 versus a 113 at UNLV.

There is no way he is a home run hire and Augmon was by far the most positive fire for the program and for potential recruits.

please!!! go do some more homework and get off the augmon bandwagon. augmon needs to go coach for 15 years and reapply for UNLV. sorry, augmon was the least qualified of the candidates

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT