ADVERTISEMENT

Be the Coach

WarthogRebel

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
If Ka. Boone is out and you were the coach what strategy would you use to beat the Aztecs?

If Ka. Boone is out and you were the coach what strategy would you use to beat the Aztecs?
I’d probably go small for most of the game … SDSU isn’t dominant on the boards … still gotta stick with Whaley on LeDee. Karl would get more minutes, as many as he can handle, but that’s not a lot and he can get into foul trouble.

Might have to primarily go with Key, DJ, Louis, Whaley and fingers crossed that either Shane or Webster is on enough …. When Jones isn’t in. We don’t run so it’s not like we need guys in front of a defensive rebound. Everybody boards …

At least we should get less turnovers out of the post ….

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Go small and hope like Hell that we are hitting 3 point shots. Do whatever you can to pull Ledee and Pal out of the paint area.
Sht happens sometimes and that’s what we might need.

Can we conjure up a 13-25 game from three? Hot shooting, anybody can beat anybody. Remember that game where Wink bailed us out vs TCU in the MWCT? We were supposed to win that game pretty easily, but after TCU drained 17-23, we were lucky AF to win that game.

Can we conjure up a 13-25 game from three? Hot shooting, anybody can beat anybody. Remember that game where Wink bailed us out vs TCU in the MWCT? We were supposed to win that game pretty
i never seen a team get so hott. They could of beaten 90% of the teams easily that day. They were not a good team which made it even more absurd.
easily, but after TCU drained 17-23, we were lucky AF to win that game.

Can we conjure up a 13-25 game from three? Hot shooting, anybody can beat anybody. Remember that game where Wink bailed us out vs TCU in the MWCT? We were supposed to win that game pretty easily, but after TCU drained 17-23, we were lucky AF to win that game.
That game is a classic. Both teams shot at an insane clip that night. I remember the disbelief to what I was seeing.

I’d probably go small for most of the game … SDSU isn’t dominant on the boards … still gotta stick with Whaley on LeDee. Karl would get more minutes, as many as he can handle, but that’s not a lot and he can get into foul trouble.

Might have to primarily go with Key, DJ, Louis, Whaley and fingers crossed that either Shane or Webster is on enough …. When Jones isn’t in. We don’t run so it’s not like we need guys in front of a defensive rebound. Everybody boards …

At least we should get less turnovers out of the post ….
I'd play Webster early and let him stay for a while. IMO, if he isn't shooting well we don't win. Need @ 12 points from him. I would give JJ minutes ahead of Shane. We will need three's and Shane is shooting 16%. JJ is shooting 35%.

Perhaps a tight 1-3-1 and dare them to make three's. They are 295th in the country in three point shooting. We should tighten the "D" close in like teams used to do to us when Dickel was the point. Double Ledee as soon as he gets the ball. He'll start playing away from the rim and perhaps we get lucky and he misses his 10 footers.

could give the start and extra minutes to webster - there's a decent chance he can make some shots and offset losing Boone's points but he won't offset the lost post defense and rebounding.

Or the opposite- karl jones may be able to offset the lost post defense and rebounding but he probably wont offset loss in low post offense.

I know cottrell has gotten praise recently but I don't see it.

I'd probably give more minutes to Jones and hope DJ, LRod, whaley and keylan can compensate for any lost scoring - maybe even post up jones a few times so it's not 4 aginst 5 when we're on offense.

None of them have done anything recently that would give you any reason to hope they'll be productive other than fouling... it's a tournament so calls will be tighter and there's nothing any of them have done to say "yeah, give him 25 minutes and he'll be productive.."
Cottrell is going to chuck 3s because SDSU won't guard him out there, they know he can't consistently make them and they'll bait him into that shot all night.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
cottrell has shot 13% from 3 in mwc play this year.
Any of the bench guys are going to be baited into shooting 3s. SDSU wont guard Cottrell outside they will double Whaley down low and bait him or Webster or JJ to shoot the 3. If youre going to lose because any one of those 3 gets hot and hits 4 or 5 then so be it, but youd rather them shoot 20+ from deep than to allow Whaley to push them around down low.

Help me out with this coaches. Is it our mechanics of shooting the three being the problem. It seems Keylon is always squared up to the basket when he shoots his 3's. The other guys to me seem to rush and just shot put the ball. Webster when squared can be good but too often he doesn't take the time. It's too often hurry and jack it up.

I wouldn't change too much.

Kalib didn't give us that much last time we played. Jones came in and gave us good minutes.

Try to keep Whaley on Ledee and have Karl/Cottrell/Keylan help.

I would try to space things more to make it more difficult to double Whaley in the post and open up passing lanes a bit if he does get doubled.

I'd use Webster, but not a ton. We need 30 sec of defense and length. Get him in to see if he can hit some shots, bench him if he can't. I'd rather roll with Nowell more who is athletic enough to keep up with defense.

I'd Start Whaley/ Keylan/LuRod/Webster/DJ. But have Webster the first to sit with Karl/Cottrell coming in frequently and hope that one of them plays well enough to leave them out there.

Kalib didn't give us that much last time we played. Jones came in and gave us good minutes.

I would try to space things more to make it more difficult to double Whaley in the post and open up passing lanes a bit if he does get doubled.

I'd use Webster, but not a ton. We need 30 sec of defense and length. Get him in to see if he can hit some shots, bench him if he can't. I'd rather roll with Nowell more who is athletic enough to keep up with defense.

I'd Start Whaley/ Keylan/LuRod/Webster/DJ. But have Webster the first to sit with Karl/Cottrell coming in frequently and hope that one of them plays well enough to leave them out there.
Saying Kalib didn't do much last time doesn't take into account what him being on the floor does. He's a defensive presence, rebounds better than Cottrell and Jones, and is at least a threat to score when he has the ball so they can't just double Whaley. He also got Pal into foul trouble as well which forced SDSU to play Ledee more as the 5 and helped us beat them on the glass. Jones might provide a few minutes here and there but he always seems winded after a few minutes and defensively he looks lost and out of position

Saying Kalib didn't do much last time doesn't take into account what him being on the floor does. He's a defensive presence, rebounds better than Cottrell and Jones, and is at least a threat to score when he has the ball so they can't just double Whaley. He also got Pal into foul trouble as well which forced SDSU to play Ledee more as the 5 and helped us beat them on the glass. Jones might provide a few minutes here and there but he always seems winded after a few minutes and defensively he looks lost and out of position
Fair enough, and that block to end the game was huge too. I am probably underselling Kalib to make me feel better about today. Truth is I am worried shitless.

One thing that bugs me is that with Kalib, we congest the key, with my guess to get in rebounding position. But it makes doubling him that much easier and he is good enough at scoring over multiple defenders that he forces it too much and causes turnovers.

I would like to see more space. Make the doubles harder and make the doubler have to make a calculating risk to leave his man. In a way we bail them out be congesting the lane.

We need players like Kalib against SDSU. Losing him now will hurt.

Also, problem with Webster against SDSU is ball security. Dude cannot be relied upon to handle the ball, at all. TO machine waiting to happen. He is a liability, for sure.

I don't know where the turnover issue with Webster got started. It's become a common belief. In truth, it's just the opposite. Webster is tied with L Rod., and Jones for fewest turnovers per minute than any other rotational player.

Turnovers per minute:

DTJ - .06
Ke. Boone - .04
Ka. Boone - .08
L. Rod - .02
J. Web - .02

R wha. - .08
JJ - .05
Cottrell - .06
Hicks - .05
Jones - .02

I don't know where the turnover issue with Webster got started. It's become a common belief. In truth, it's just the opposite. Webster is tied with L Rod., and Jones for fewest turnovers per minute than any other rotational player.

Turnovers per minute:

DTJ - .06
Ke. Boone - .04
Ka. Boone - .08
L. Rod - .02
J. Web - .02

R wha. - .08
JJ - .05
Cottrell - .06
Hicks - .05
Jones - .02
Good stats, guess the numbers don't lie. I guess watching him handle the ball whenever DTJ comes out is what makes me nervous.

Is it just me or are they playing possum? I could see them holding Boone out of practice but still being ago today… 🤷🏻‍♂️

Good stats, guess the numbers don't lie. I guess watching him handle the ball whenever DTJ comes out is what makes me nervous.
I think it got started and then whenever we see him turn it over it is magnified by the belief. Human nature. I believed it too. I just looked up the stats to see how bad he was and got surprised.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT