ADVERTISEMENT

Line ‘em up: Predictions and Game Thread At UNM

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
Not going to toss out a prediction just yet, I want the week to unfold. UNM COULD have one of those letdown games at Fresno. Fresno is awful, yes the game is there - the Lobos are ranked and undefeated (haven’t played anybody much either)… and the Lobos have to be looking forward to getting back to home, ranked, undefeated, in front of a sold out Pit crowd.

UNLV has a chance to lick some wounds, rest up a bit, try to sharpen their focus. Coaches will get a better look at the Lobos and have a chance to devise a good game plan (doesn’t always matter, players go off script early and often sometimes). I think the mental preparation in this one will be key. They won’t be afraid, they know the score. But they have not played before a raucous crowd as a team before. The part that worries me the most might be that Gilbert looks shaken and that’s been without pressure. Can’t have a primary ball handler rattled and expect to pull off an upset.

UNM has seen enough of UNLV to know that if they are aggressive, they can get to the O boards. Also, they get to the line quite a bit. UNLV’s best shot might be secure blocking out (can lead to fouls) and attacking the rim as much as they can, even if it’s without some early success. Would like to force their bigs to play with some caution.

But one thing I know, we’ve all seen it before with teams … if you can consistently pressure the perimeter, you can take out a crowd, you can stay in a game, not only can you steal the game but you can win it outright … if you maintain the 40 minutes.

I’m looking forward to it. It’s the first time this season everything is stacked against the Rebels. How do they respond?

Again, UNM is not a great team, they’ve fattened up on holiday creampuffs as well, but they’re a good team. I DO NOT want them dropping the game at Fresno. I don’t like playing teams coming off a loss, much less their first loss, especially when they’ll have strong support.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News