ADVERTISEMENT

Arroyo on the “Hot Seat” per CBS

Here is just opinion, not a single one of those coaches’ seats are even Luke warm.

Does anyone actually read the column? Arroyo is listed as a 2. Ok for now. Out of 5.
That is not a hotseat, unless 80+ coaches are getting burned britches.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Dude I thought about it. arroyo hasn’t really losseny games with stupid playcalling.

he’s gonna open up the playbook.

Damn, my apologies! Missed the paragraph with the 4, scrolled down to the bottom, where it had last year's!
I'm a dummy, I'm a dummy, I'm a dummy! (Sounds of me slapping my head!

Seriously, sorry, guys.

Damn, my apologies! Missed the paragraph with the 4, scrolled down to the bottom, where it had last year's!
I'm a dummy, I'm a dummy, I'm a dummy! (Sounds of me slapping my head!

Seriously, sorry, guys.

If anyone should be Sorry it's CMA with that 2-16 record! What did Bill Parcells say you are what you record says you are!! IMO he is not on the Hot seat yet but, another season like last year and he will be.

And, yet, we come back to, "Well, if we just hire the right coach, in a couple years he will turn jt around."

And, yet, we come back to, "Well, if we just hire the right coach, in a couple years he will turn jt around."
So what's the answer then? We have pretty great facilities now, and Arroyo has had a couple of years to bring in some contributing players. Is this the year that we expect a jump? Or next year? How many years should we commit to a coach before we know if they're going to be able to get it done?

Wish I knew the answer. I personally don't think Arroyo should be on the hot seat at the moment, but depending on how the team looks this year, it could certainly warm up if the team ends up not being competitive. I'm hoping that we'll have better line play and QB play, which should impact everything else.

Reactions: bcvegaspt and NSU67
A few less QB injuries and a little better play from the QB could have easily had UNLV winning 4-6 more games last year. Losing by 2, 8, 7, 4, 7 and 8 is painful!
Agreed. Being competitive is a start, but we gotta win some of those games too. Hopefully between the returning QB's, and this new transfer QB Bailey, we'll be much more consistent at that position. Obviously, Chuck Williams will be tough to replace, but hopefully a couple guys will step up. Then the other big question mark will be defense. We lost our best defensive player, but have brought in some nice transfers, to go along with the returning players, so we could be pretty good, but it's a big unknown at the moment.

Harrison Bailey has the potential to be a great QB, we also have Cameron Friel who was the MWC freshman of the year, and Doug Brumfield who showed he can be a great QB if he doesn't get injured. Ricky White showed his potential when he dominated Michigan with eight catches for 196 yards which won the game in 2020. The combination of Harrison Bailey and Ricky White could be huge, or we have Cameron Friel who has shown he can play, and we also have Brumfield that only stopped being the QB due to injuries.

Harrison Bailey has the potential to be a great QB, we also have Cameron Friel who was the MWC freshman of the year, and Doug Brumfield who showed he can be a great QB if he doesn't get injured. Ricky White showed his potential when he dominated Michigan with eight catches for 196 yards which won the game in 2020. The combination of Harrison Bailey and Ricky White could be huge, or we have Cameron Friel who has shown he can play, and we also have Brumfield that only stopped being the QB due to injuries.
All 3 of those guys have a chance to do well. Brumfield was dynamic when he was healthy, but he was rarely healthy. Friel took a bit to get going but ended up doing quite well. They both could get trumped by Bailey though. At least in terms of his potential, he has them both beat. Then again, if our O line can't stop defenses from getting pressure, he may not be as effective. Gonna be interesting to see how it shakes out with determining a starter!

His seat certainly should be a little warm but with that huge contact buyout I don’t think it’s that hot. If we don’t see a big improvement in year 3 he’s probably not the guy but we’ll give him another year anyway.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
His seat certainly should be a little warm but with that huge contact buyout I don’t think it’s that hot. If we don’t see a big improvement in year 3 he’s probably not the guy but we’ll give him another year anyway.

Seat should be warm.

If he can go 4-8 but there are no blowout losses besides Notre Dame and he beats Reno that would probably be enough for another year...

Not exactly palatable, but probably enough.

5-7 he's not in any danger I don't think, but a win over Reno would go a long way to ensuring he gets himself another year.

Reactions: NSU67
13-0 and he is gone! Unfortunately you need to improve, but not too quickly, otherwise another school with big bucks would recruit him! BSU has been lucky enough to bring in replacements that do a great job; SDSU has been lucky to get a good coach that wants to finish off their career at that school; Fresno State has been up and down, but had enough great seasons to offset the bad ones.

I know he won’t be sacked after this season if he underperforms but having said that this barely incremental improvement is tough to get behind! I thought Arroyo was a recruiter and guru guy on offense? He is not at Oregon anymore, that was too much for him. But now that he is here, his recruiting has been good but where are his lineman that will protect, what about his innovative offense and most of all is this QB finally the guy?! The schedule is much lighter and the baby steps are setting the bar too low. This guy, with his recruits and a weaker schedule should be bowl eligible or else his seat should be red hot starting next season and a firing should happen for sure if he doesn’t go to a bowl next year! How do some of you think we will get to another conference with this crap at Allegiant stadium? Football is king, PERIOD, and it’s time UNLV gets into gear on the gridiron or get left behind forever! And waiting around for Arroyo to get us to be a winner in 7-8 years seems like a losing proposition to me!

The following is the 2021 and 2022 schedule:

The games that they played in 2021 that will not be played in 2022 include Eastern Washington, Arizona State, Iowa State and UTSA for a combined record of 37-16

The games they will play in 2022 included Idaho State, California, North Texas and Notre Dame for a combined record of 23-26. I see no reason why UNLV shouldn't be able to go 2-2 or 3-1 with this schedule that includes 1 good team and three average/below average programs

Eastern Washington - lower division 10-3 (record for 2021)
Arizona State 8-5
Iowa State 7-6
Fresno State 10-3
UTSA 12-2
Utah State 11-3
SJSU 5-7
unr 8-5
New Mexico 3-9
Hawaii 6-7
SDSU 12-2
Air Force 10-3

Idaho State - lower division 1-10 (record for 2021) A must win game
California 5-7 This is a bottom of the Pac team that UNLV should be competitive with
North Texas 6-7 A game UNLV should win
Utah State 11-3 Played tough last season should be competitive
New Mexico 3-9 Must win
SJSU 5-7 Must win
Air Force 10-3 Tough game UNLV blown out last season
Notre Dame 11-2 Hard to compete with the level of recruits you see playing for this team
SDSU 12-2 Played tough last season should be competitive
FSU 10-3 Played tough last season should be competitive
Hawaii 6-7 Must win
unr 8-5 Must win

Unless UNLV has done a bad job recruiting, there is no reason they should win less than 5 games, and if the QB position ends up as good as it should, they should be able to have a winning record

The games that they played in 2021 that will not be played in 2022 include Eastern Washington, Arizona State, Iowa State and UTSA for a combined record of 37-16

The games they will play in 2022 included Idaho State, California, North Texas and Notre Dame for a combined record of 23-26. I see no reason why UNLV shouldn't be able to go 2-2 or 3-1 with this schedule that includes 1 good team and three average/below average programs

Arizona State 8-5
Iowa State 7-6
Fresno State 10-3
UTSA 12-2
Utah State 11-3
SJSU 5-7
unr 8-5
New Mexico 3-9
Hawaii 6-7
SDSU 12-2
Air Force 10-3

California 5-7 This is a bottom of the Pac team that UNLV should be competitive with
New Mexico 3-9 Must win
SJSU 5-7 Must win
Notre Dame 11-2 Hard to compete with the level of recruits you see playing for this team
Hawaii 6-7 Must win
unr 8-5 Must win

Unless UNLV has done a bad job recruiting, there is no reason they should win less than 5 games, and if the QB position ends up as good as it should, they should be able to have a winning record
I think the key here is getting some momentum early in the year before we get to that tough stretch against AF, ND, SDSU and FSU. There's a realistic chance to start the season 6-0, or at least 4-2 if we lose a couple of those toss up games.

That was brutal last year losing the opener to EWU, then have a gauntlet of ASU, Iowa State and Fresno St, after that. Plus, the QB injuries really made it tough at the beginning of last year.

This year should be the opposite. Get some wins early, then hope we can steal one or two in the heart of the schedule, before ending with Hawaii and UNR, which should be games we have a good chance of winning.

Arizona State 8-5
Iowa State 7-6
Fresno State 10-3
UTSA 12-2
Utah State 11-3
SJSU 5-7
unr 8-5
New Mexico 3-9
Hawaii 6-7
SDSU 12-2
Air Force 10-3

New Mexico 3-9 Must win
SJSU 5-7 Must win
Hawaii 6-7 Must win
unr 8-5 Must win

My optimistic prediction is 5 wins this year, then 9 wins in 2023.

I think the key here is getting some momentum early in the year before we get to that tough stretch against AF, ND, SDSU and FSU. There's a realistic chance to start the season 6-0, or at least 4-2 if we lose a couple of those toss up games.

That was brutal last year losing the opener to EWU, then have a gauntlet of ASU, Iowa State and Fresno St, after that. Plus, the QB injuries really made it tough at the beginning of last year.

This year should be the opposite. Get some wins early, then hope we can steal one or two in the heart of the schedule, before ending with Hawaii and UNR, which should be games we have a good chance of winning.

Momentum is a real thing.

Totally agree.

Hauck went to a bowl. Felt like maybe, just maybe a corner was turned...

And....

Get blown out by UofA first game of next season and the balloon was popped.

Never recovered.

Arizona State 8-5
Iowa State 7-6
Fresno State 10-3
UTSA 12-2
Utah State 11-3
SJSU 5-7
unr 8-5
New Mexico 3-9
Hawaii 6-7
SDSU 12-2
Air Force 10-3

New Mexico 3-9 Must win
SJSU 5-7 Must win
Hawaii 6-7 Must win
unr 8-5 Must win

You’re talking me into expecting a 7-win season next year. Please don’t make me optimistic.

I think that we'll do quite a bit better than that. What you 're saying is that all of Arroyo's improved doesn't count for anything. A lot of close games last year coupled with a very unstable QB situation contributed to the record. I would rather be more optimistic and see an improved record than being so down on next year.

I think that we'll do quite a bit better than that. What you 're saying is that all of Arroyo's improved doesn't count for anything. A lot of close games last year coupled with a very unstable QB situation contributed to the record. I would rather be more optimistic and see an improved record than being so down on next year.
Agreed. I'm optimistic for 5+ wins, but hopefully 6-7

I can't speak for Rebswin2 but I understand the sentiment. Every coach for the past 20+ years has had some of us believe he has improved recruiting and he should do better. But he nearly always falls on his face for several reasons. No recent coach has put together an offensive line, a defensive line, a decent defensive backfield, and a special team during the same year. Several facets of the team are always lacking and we get killed because of it.

I hope we are better but, for me, I'll believe it when I see it. 2 or 3 wins sounds about right.

I can't speak for Rebswin2 but I understand the sentiment. Every coach for the past 20+ years has had some of us believe he has improved recruiting and he should do better. But he nearly always falls on his face for several reasons. No recent coach has put together an offensive line, a defensive line, a decent defensive backfield, and a special team during the same year. Several facets of the team are always lacking and we get killed because of it.

I hope we are better but, for me, I'll believe it when I see it. 2 or 3 wins sounds about right.
Eh, if anything, the most accurate seem to be the books. Every single year the o/u line looks like an easy over bet, like taking candy from a baby. But each and every year, we fall short. Maybe we cross it late, I don’t know, but it’s a pretty accurate line.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT