ADVERTISEMENT

Worst part about current UNLV situation.

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
Outside of the Reno game nobody really cares about results anymore.

People are more interested if/when there will be an announcement concerning Coach Sanchez vs the outcome of games.

It would be nice to have a season we are talking about meaningful football in November.

Reactions: RebelinWA
Outside of the Reno game nobody really cares about results anymore.

People are more interested if/when there will be an announcement concerning Coach Sanchez vs the outcome of games.

It would be nice to have a season we are talking about meaningful football in November.
I’d even settle for late September or October would be fantastic.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Yeah coming up with algebraic equations to figure out how they can reach bowl eligibility in week 6 does suck.
I guess it doesn’t have to be the worst thing in the world. Knowing you got no shot from the start, no huge drag out disappointment. Getting teased for 3/4 of the season and having a chance, then a giant kerplunk sucks worse.

Maybe.

I don’t know.

It all sucks.

And....

It’s your fault.

I guess it doesn’t have to be the worst thing in the world. Knowing you got no shot from the start, no huge drag out disappointment. Getting teased for 3/4 of the season and having a chance, then a giant kerplunk sucks worse.

Maybe.

I don’t know.

It all sucks.

And....

It’s your fault.

Nah..

Seasons beaing essentially over at the midway point are the worst.

And yes, it is all my fault.

Our kickers percentage is pretty good. Right Bull? Other than that, Tony have been underwhelming

Our kickers percentage is pretty good. Right Bull? Other than that, Tony have been underwhelming

There was some reason for optimism after first three years. Slow build, but win total was increasing each year.

Year four all the same problems were popping up again.

Dropping back to 4 wins might have been just a bump in the road, but this year shows it wasn't.

I think this season shows just how important Cotton was to this staff with his experience.

Absolutely no reason the offense should have regressed like it has...

Alabama and LSU don't win because their coaches are tactical geniuses. They win because they get the best athletes.

We lose because we don't have the athletes. The question is - why?

IMO, the same problem has reared it's head every four to five years for the past two and a half decades.

A new coach comes in and he is able to sell recruits on a new program and "let's build this thing together" mentality. This works for @ two years and then the coach has nothing to offer recruits because it's not new anymore. His new guys are enough to get us winning a few games but in the next couple of years he ends up with worse recruits meaning a poor bench. We need a coach that can take what we have - add some players - and get to a couple of bowls. Hopefully that will be enough to keep recruit interest for the next few years. Winning gets better recruits - losing makes it so much more difficult.

I'm hopeful the next coach will be able to play the "let's build this thing together" card but also be able to emphasize the facilities and new stadium. That could be enough to get the players we need.

I'm sure Sanchez is thinking that if he can get just another year or two he can get the recruits he needs. Unfortunately for him he won't get that time. I just hope the new coach can get it going quickly so it can build on itself.

Go Rebels.

Reactions: reb4l
Alabama and LSU don't win because their coaches are tactical geniuses. They win because they get the best athletes.

We lose because we don't have the athletes. The question is - why?

IMO, the same problem has reared it's head every four to five years for the past two and a half decades.

A new coach comes in and he is able to sell recruits on a new program and "let's build this thing together" mentality. This works for @ two years and then the coach has nothing to offer recruits because it's not new anymore. His new guys are enough to get us winning a few games but in the next couple of years he ends up with worse recruits meaning a poor bench. We need a coach that can take what we have - add some players - and get to a couple of bowls. Hopefully that will be enough to keep recruit interest for the next few years. Winning gets better recruits - losing makes it so much more difficult.

I'm hopeful the next coach will be able to play the "let's build this thing together" card but also be able to emphasize the facilities and new stadium. That could be enough to get the players we need.

I'm sure Sanchez is thinking that if he can get just another year or two he can get the recruits he needs. Unfortunately for him he won't get that time. I just hope the new coach can get it going quickly so it can build on itself.

Go Rebels.

Yes.

Sort of...

But of all the major sports coaching matters most in football.

Football is a series of set plays. It's like chess.

You can't convince me there is 30+ point differential in talent between UNLV and Wyoming. If that is true its going to take more than one or two recruiting classes to to get this team to even .500

I'm not suggesting Nick Saban wins this conference with our current talent, but you think we are currently 2-7? I don't.

I think a great example is Sanchez record vs coaches he sees a second time. It's woeful. Look it up.

UNLV gives USC a tough game but gets blown out by New Mexico three weeks later?

You need talent to win. No argument. But give me Rocky Long and I bet UNLV is better than 2-7 this year. Bowl team? Probably not, but they aren't getting taken behind the woodshed every week like they are now.

Yes.

Sort of...

You can't convince me there is 30+ point differential in talent between UNLV and Wyoming. If that is true its going to take more than one or two recruiting classes to to get this team to even .500

I'm not suggesting Nick Saban wins this conference with our current talent, but you think we are currently 2-7? I don't.

I think a great example is Sanchez record vs coaches he sees a second time. It's woeful. Look it up.

You need talent to win. No argument. But give me Rocky Long and I bet UNLV is better than 2-7 this year. Bowl team? Probably not, but they aren't getting taken behind the woodshed every week like they are now.

I agree that our overall record level isn't a pure reflection of our talent level. Though national rankings may not be that impressive, but CTS has consistently landed 3 and occcasionally 4 star talent at a clip we've never seen. Sure star rankings are guesses, but we aren't that unlucky that they are all flops.

I think the right coach could make us significantly more competitive next season, if he can retain enough guys.

There has been recruiting misses, especially defensively. No questioning that. But the right system, maybe couple impact immediately eligible transfers, we could at least be getting close to .500?

Last edited:
Yes.

Sort of...

Obviously we don't agree. Add to that this is a chicken-egg argument that can't be tested.

But IMO, Nick Saban , with our existing staff and players, is probably worth 7 pts a game - at most. Not enough to make a material difference to our win-loss column.

Again, IMO, let him select his own staff and give him two years to recruit and in the third we'd be looking at winning the conference.

Yes, a coach makes a difference but it mainly has to do with the players he brings to the table.

Go rebels.

I agree that our overall talent level isn't a pure reflection of our talent level. Though national rankings may not be that impressive, but CTS has consistently landed 3 and occcasionally 4 star talent at a clip we've never seen. Sure star rankings are guesses, but we aren't that unlucky that they are all flops.

I think the right coach could make us significantly more competitive next season, if he can retain enough guys.

There has been recruiting misses, especially defensively. No questioning that. But the right system, maybe couple impact immediately eligible transfers, we could at least be getting close to .500?

I told folks 2016 class would haunt Sanchez in terms of depth/talent on defense.

I agree, I still think there is more talent on this roster than 2-7 would indicate.

Obviously we don't agree. Add to that this is a chicken-egg argument that can't be tested.

But IMO, Nick Saban , with our existing staff and players, is probably worth 7 pts a game - at most. Not enough to make a material difference to our win-loss column.

Again, IMO, let him select his own staff and give him two years to recruit and in the third we'd be looking at winning the conference.

Yes, a coach makes a difference but it mainly has to do with the players he brings to the table.

Go rebels.
I see both sides of this argument and agree with parts of both of what you're saying, but I'll add this. I don't think it would take more than a single recruiting season with Saban and his staff to be the best team in this conference.

Edit: That being a "WAY better recruiting and much better position coaches with a superior understanding of using the talent you have" argument

Go rebels.

Ok..

UNLV loses Cotton.

Offense remains nearly intact.

Down 7 points per game. Can't move the ball.

Coaching or talent?

Not saying talent doesn't matter.

I just think good coaches can cover up a lot of warts through scheme and game planning.

We could both site examples to prove our point.

Senseless though since it's obvious I am right.

:chairshot:

I see both sides of this argument and agree with parts of both of what you're saying, but I'll add this. I don't think it would take more than a single recruiting season with Saban and his staff to be the best team in this conference.

Edit: That being a "WAY better recruiting and much better position coaches with a superior understanding of using the talent you have" argument

[thumb2]

Coaching matters. I expect to see a huge difference between Menzies and Coach Otz this Bball season. It's apparent after just one game. Football is no different.

Agree...

I would contend of the four (five with soccer) major sports it's the most important based on it being a series of set plays.

Basketball, Hockey and Soccer are more free flowing allowing for much more improvisation from players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT