ADVERTISEMENT

Winless...

Would we have been 0-6 under coach Sanchez?

• Yes

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters

RebelSaint702

Lottery Pick
Gold Member
Mar 16, 2010
We look like a JV team so its time to ask... would we have gone winless this year under coach Sanchez?

This is embarrassing.

You cant make this up... that "fumble".... how does that happen.

Hope Brumfield is ok... but wow...

Is there a reason our QB keeps throwing the ball into the ground? Is he near sighted?

4th and 9.... the Qb has to at least give the team a shot.... a run for 4 yards? Should have at least given a receiver a chance to make a play. #53 for Hawaii has 16 tackles and is clearly the QB spy... there is no way the qb was running for 9+ yards

would we have gone winless this year under coach Sanchez?

Arroyo this year went 0-6 in MWC going
L, 6-34
L, 19-37
L, 27-40
L, 17-34
L, 14-45
L, 21-38

Last season Sanchez started 0-6 against a comparable MWC schedule but with a deeper, more talented roster:
L, 17-53
L, 13-38
L, 27-56
L, 17-20
L, 17-37
L, 7-21

Granted, the Rebels won their final two last season to finish 2-6, but which game(s) this season do you think this Rebel roster would have won with Sanchez coaching?

Reactions: Rebelious1
Is there a reason our QB keeps throwing the ball into the ground? Is he near sighted?
I'm not sure how it keeps happening, but there is something to what was mentioned on broadcast:

He's 6'5" throwing to 5'9" WR. Trajectory is downward. Buuut. It shouldn't still be happening at this point..

Arroyo this year went 0-6 in MWC going
L, 6-34
L, 19-37
L, 27-40
L, 17-34
L, 14-45
L, 21-38

Last season Sanchez started 0-6 against a comparable MWC schedule but with a deeper, more talented roster:
L, 17-53
L, 13-38
L, 27-56
L, 17-20
L, 17-37
L, 7-21

Granted, the Rebels won their final two last season to finish 2-6, but which game(s) this season do you think this Rebel roster would have won with Sanchez coaching?
This is a great post. The winnable games were the teams we didn't play. It is clear that UNLV was the worst mwc team in 2020. But the other bad teams were UNM, USU, CSU.

Of course they were probably all better than UNLV. But the teams we plays? Wyoming was probably the worst. Maybe Fresno?

Of the 6 games we did play, they finish in the standings basically as the top conference teams all in a straight line (save BSU at 2 and AFA at 7)

1. SJSU
3. UNR
4. SDSU
5. HAWAII
6. Fresno
8. Wyoming

Just saying at least USU and UNM played each other. Guaranteed one of them would win.

Put. In. Justin. Rogers.
I dont know when this was posted, if it was after brumfield went off.

Do we assume Oblad just doesn't understand the offense? I dont see how he is so far down the depth chart that he hasn't sniffed the field since week 1 ..

Reactions: willlevi
I don't think he made the trip. Usually wearing the headset and carrying a clipboard. Not for this game. BTW, was Tyleek MIA?

The less we talk about UNLV Football this year the less people will care how the team did.

Full transparency, I posted the message after a glass or 2 of wine last night.

Pretty frustrating season. Obviously there are so many factors that played into it none of which are in our favor.

But with that being said, look at the point differential... we basically had zero chance of winning any of the games.

My hope was to see the team be more competitive in games as the season went on and it just didn't happen in my opinion. Maybe I am wrong there though.

Recruiting has been strong and it will take a year or two for that to show on the field. Just hoping Arroyo and staff can coach up the players they do have until the talent level can catch up.

I remember being just as frustrated last year so maybe I shouldn't have brought up Sanchez as a comparison since they are basically the same in terms of results.

Year one is in the books.... I have always been an eternal optimist for UNLV and will be there next year opening week cheering on the team hoping that we have finally turned the corner as a program. We finally have tons of potential upside with facilities and recruiting. We need to take advantage of that now or I fear we never will.

The local press dropped the ball on critical coverage of the team. Zero reports on opt-outs, COVID, injuries. It appears Arroyo forced to play a handful of walk ons at the end. Also playing our 12th and 13th receiver. It would have been great to get some context. Some local press are plain lazy. Some want to try to be next Jim Rome.

The local press dropped the ball on critical coverage of the team. Zero reports on opt-outs, COVID, injuries. It appears Arroyo forced to play a handful of walk ons at the end. Also playing our 12th and 13th receiver. It would have been great to get some context. Some local press are plain lazy. Some want to try to be next Jim Rome.
I really don’t know if it would have been worth it. How many people paid any attention at all? Resources could be placed elsewhere.

Again some media actively place blame squarely on Arroyo’s coaching abilities. No context. Lazy or agenda driven.

Reactions: LocoRebel
I still think we are better off with Arroyo. Tough season to be a first and I understand he isn't the only coach to have a first season this year. But I think we will get better. Recruiting is up it is going to take a couple years to get his players and system in place. I don't take much out of this season not do I hold anything against Arroyo and his staff. Yes this year sucked but I am looking forward to seeing how Arroyo progresses this team.

Reactions: RebelMan5000
I think we were going to have a tough season regardless of the coach but I do think we would have won a couple games with Sanchez. I expected the defense to have problems but the offensive regression was really surprising to me.

I would disagree with saying last year’s schedule was comparable to this year. Most of this conference was significantly worse than they were last year. Also Sanchez finished out last year by beating a mediocre SJSU and UNR. Now suddenly they’re the 2 best teams in the west this year. I think the fact that they returned their coaching staffs helped them a lot in this COVID season. I don’t think they’re all that great. In fact, I expect SDSU, Fresno, and Hawaii all to be better than them once their new coaches get established. Hopefully UNLV and CMA can be included in that group too.

This year is just a weird year. Almost every coach should get some kind of pass this year. The UNLV defense was the worst I've seen in a long time this year though. They have to get better defensively to have a chance to win games next season. I don't know how much the new guys will help next year on that side of the ball. It might take another year.

I'm just thankful we didn't play 13 games this season because from what I seen we would have finished 0-13 ! SMFH Consider it and early Rebel XMas present. Lol

Let's give Arroyo some credit guys. He was just setting the table for a 2021 MWC Coach of the Year award!

I think we were going to have a tough season regardless of the coach but I do think we would have won a couple games with Sanchez.

I just can't see Sanchez' coaching making this year's squad go 2-4.

Last year Sanchez started 0-6 in conference then got two 3-point wins over two teams that were ranked worse (FPI) than any team we faced this season. He also lost by 20 to a MWC team that was ranked lower than any the Rebels faced this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: LocoRebel
I just can't see Sanchez' coaching making this year's squad go 2-4.
The only argument I could even fathom for the Sanchez staff doing better than 0-6 is familiarity with the schemes. And to me, that could have been the difference in the Fresno State game... everyone else seemed like they were light years ahead talent-wise.

I seriously doubt Sanchez would have won any games this year even if he did win one game going 1-5 with a coach who had shown he is a 2-4 wins per year coach a change needed to be made. Arroyo and staff were in a real tough spot this year I am not putting much into this year. I am not even expecting much next year but am hping to see good improvment begining in year 3 and moving forward.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT