ADVERTISEMENT

Why is Rogers out there?

D

Deleted member 308

I missed the beginning of the game. Any reason other than favoritism?

He is the future of the program. Have to let him finish the season for a couple of reasons.

As a quarterback, he is struggling this game though.

And if he doesn’t break it open, he can’t get us through the red zone.

He is the future of the program. Have to let him finish the season for a couple of reasons.

As a quarterback, he is struggling this game though.

He struggles through the second half of every game.

A bowl game this year does more for the program. You can still get him spot experience. But he is NOT ready to lead this team. All while Stanton is.

He will be a better QB someday, but not today.

He struggles through the second half of every game.

A bowl game this year does more for the program. You can still get him spot experience. But he is NOT ready to lead this team. All while Stanton is.

He will be a better QB someday, but not today.
I am 100% behind the decision to start and play him this game.

There you go. Start a freshmen, get him more experience, confidence, and get a win. What more can you ask for?

Reactions: Sam-I-am
To already be bowl eligible by starting Stanton against Howard.
Oh come on. The QB you were just hating on leads the team down for a game winning TD and you bring up a game that happened 10 weeks ago? Pretty weak man.

But since you bring Howard up, if only Williams doesn't cough up the ball, or Tejchman, or Hollandsworth, maybe Rodgers could have pulled that game out.

Just admit it, you just got caught with a big foot in your mouth.

Oh come on. The QB you were just hating on leads the team down for a game winning TD and you bring up a game that happened 10 weeks ago? Pretty weak man.

But since you bring Howard up, if only Williams doesn't cough up the ball, or Tejchman, or Hollandsworth, maybe Rodgers could have pulled that game out.

Just admit it, you just got caught with a big foot in your mouth.

I don't hate rogers, he's just not ready.

We shouldn't need last second heroics to beat UNM. My understated premise stands - Stanton didn't deserve to lose the starting spot.Either Sanchez's has a bizarre need to crush the confidence of every quarterback on the roster, or he falls in love to easy, or he just hates Stanton.

I'm not really sure what Rogers is learning. He is so athletic that he find success without trying to read the defense. It's why his seconds half are always flat.

He has potential to be great. I can see it. But Sanchez should have given the starting nod to Stanton from the beginning and used Johnny s a teaching tool. Instead he created a dynamic where Rogers could lose confidence if he stuck with Johnny, rather than learning.

We could be bowl eligible now, and still have a bright future. We are not a program that can pass up sure money for potential. Take the bowl the second you can get it.

[QUOTE="yellowsubmachine, post: 351982, member: 308"But he is NOT ready to lead this team.[/QUOTE]
Oops.

That Howard game was NOT on Rogers. The only loss I put on Rogers was AF. The defense gave him great field position on 3 TOs in the 2nd half and he got he team 3 points.

He does panic and a runs when he shouldn't. He does forget to add touch on most deep balls. He does fail to see blitzes. But he does have a lot of skill. I'm okay with him starting tonight and he just opens things up for everyone else better than Stanton. Some of that is on UNMs defense but he's so dangerous running the ball.

Hes a freshman, learning on the job, he will be so much better moving forward, UNLV has big time QB, if they can recruit some defensive players they just might be good for once? 193 yards rushing 211 passing last night, and the winning drive in 46 seconds, experience and confidence you can't teach on the bench. Lets beat UNR now. Going to be wild game next week, might take 42 or more points to win, both teams on defense suck.

Also the fact is Stanton WAS given the chance to be the starter and LEAD this team to the end. The BYU game! It wasn’t till this game that Coach decided to try Rogers again, and he succesed in getting the win when we needed it. Period. He is a frosh QB who may be here for 3 more years. I am glad to see him get this experience and build upon something to last, not just possible glory for one season by starting a senior Stanton.

Rogers has things to learn, some things to improve on no doubt.

Stanton is ahead of him in many ways. He would have handled the blitz better no doubt.

However, Playing Stanton also limits the explosive plays.

Not only can Rogers do things that Stanton cannot with his legs, him being a more dangerous runner, opens up more running lanes for Lex.

He did miss a lot of throws. He had some drops, and some of those deep balls were throw aways, at least it looked like it to me.

He needs to improve on extending plays for the pass. he needs to see his reads quicker and not zone in on his target.

But JEEZE US, he can make some ridiculous plays with his legs. He also can thread the needle.

Biggest difference is that Stanton is a better game manager that opens the passing game while spreading the field, which allows the defense to be on the field less.
Rogers is a feast or famine player that can create big plays but also has stagnant periods. The offense produces big plays with him but the lack of consistency seems to expose the defense that has been porous in games Rogers has started.
Overall, it makes for a tough coaching decision with one game to go.

Reactions: Deleted member 308
Biggest difference is that Stanton is a better game manager that opens the passing game while spreading the field, which allows the defense to be on the field less.
Rogers is a feast or famine player that can create big plays but also has stagnant periods. The offense produces big plays with him but the lack of consistency seems to expose the defense that has been porous in games Rogers has started.
Overall, it makes for a tough coaching decision with one game to go.
I don't think it's a tough decision at all. You have to stick with Rogers the rest of the way, barring injury.

He must get better with both his passing touch, as well as commitment to keep his head looking upfield for the open receiver, even when his pocket collapses.

Easy throw botched for -21.

Panic run for no gain.

Panic run for 13.

Here’s wishing for miracle rather than competent play.

And then the fumble.

Waiting for something great to happen so y’all can post.

It's almost as though you've been waiting a week for Rogers to screw up so you could bring back this thread and prove you are right ??? Armani is by no means polished, however he is an extremely talented freshman and he is the future. I think the reps will prove useful in the long run.

It’s Sanchez that screwed up. He’s blinded by Roger’s athleticism.

The red zone hates Rogers more than he hates the pocket or reading the defense.

If Sanchez wants to win the canon, we need Stanton. But I guess experience is more important.

The red zone hates Rogers more than he hates the pocket or reading the defense.

Yeah it's frustrating watching his inability to make plays, especially when we are in the red zone. However I kind of agree with Sanchez's decision to play Rogers and get him as much experience as possible. I think Sanchez is thinking long term (like a year or two in the future).

I do kind of wish Sanchez would put Stanton in just a little bit, especially when it's, 3rd and long, obvious passing situations. Maybe mixing it up a little bit wouldn't hurt?

Coulda had the cannon. Coulda had a bowl. Winning is not important.

Sanchez is slow playing his contract, and betting on potential.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT