ADVERTISEMENT

What winning does

WarthogRebel

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
I went to the WCC semis last night and it was entertaining, (St. Mary's vs. BYU and Gonzaga vs. San Francisco) Enthusiastic crowds and good games. Not one of these teams ran a weave. They all ran high pick-and-rolls with huge centers who could actually catch and handle the ball.

Surrounding me where I sat were 8 Gonzaga fans. Two traveled from Miami and six were local. The locals lived here between 6 and 13 years. None were originally from the Northwest. All of them became Gonzaga fans by watching and enjoying past NCAA runs.

NOT ONE OF THE LOCALS HAD EVER BEEN TO A REBEL BASKETBALL GAME. They had zero interest in Rebel basketball. When I asked why, they couldn't come up with reasons other than they just don't even consider them.

So, my point is, if Gonzaga and the Rebels had changed records I believe most of these people would be Rebel fans at least, and season ticket holders at best. They were all knowledgeable about basketball. They are attracted to Gonzaga because they win.

In the 90's we were the Gonzaga of the time. And for no valid reason, we threw the program in the dumpster. Had we been able to keep going we would have Millions of fans Nationally and regularly fill the T&M.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News