ADVERTISEMENT

We need to be in on this

If SDSU and BSU were to join the AAC that puts the conference at 13 schools for football so they’d likely want a 14th. They are currently at 11 so I’d think they’ll add either 1 or 3? I could see SDSU not going because it will hurt their other sports, I don’t think BSU cares. UNLV football isn’t very attractive so not sure how high they’d be on AACs list. This article mentions byu, AFA and CSU.

Last edited:
I was very Pro-AAC but we had our chance to join and unfortunately Livengood F’d it up for us. We could be making $7 million a year in a football division with SDSU, Boise, Fresno, Houston, and SMU. We would have had interesting cross divisional games with UCF, Cincinnati, and Memphis regularly too. But Jim loved the Mountain Worst and thought we needed to keep our basketball program with powerhouses Wyoming, CSU, UNM, and Air Force. Everyone cares about basketball so much but how great will MWC basketball look without SDSU and BSU? Would it even be a top 15 conference? I bet a Big West with SDSU, Boise, UNLV, and Fresno would be comparable.

Reactions: CRhodes1983
We could be making $7 million a year in a football division with SDSU, Boise, Fresno, Houston, and SMU.
I see this number thrown out there often, but the truth isn't quite as attractive as the number. The schools in the AAC are required to fund and handle the broadcasting for their sports. So the $7m is taken down probably by $1.5-2m per school based on setting up the infrastructure to produce an ESPN-caliber broadcast for sports that, other than football and basketball, dont make money. They still bring in more money than MWC after that, but its close.

MWC does not pay for its production - handled by networks, as it was when it was ESPN/CBS.

All going from memory when the recent contracts were put out there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT