ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP Game

Pistol Pete 1

Retired Number
Sep 22, 2008
Looking at the web site it doesn’t look like there was any excitement on this board last night but there was plenty to be excited about at the game,

Tyleek Collins is hopefully gonna be a player we talk about for years to come. 2 TD’s in his first home game. Power 5 recruit that we were in the right place to scoop up. With all of the quality WR’s we have it is mighty impressive that CTS is working him into a prominent role in the offense.

Gabe McCoy just keeps improving. Extremely quick at the LB position. One great sack last night when he was was one on one with a slower OL trying to keep him out of the backfield.

Mekhi Stevenson, Brandon Presley, Woods, Hester, Flowers, Khalili, Lex, X, Williams along with the O-Line all had very good games. DL is getting a good push with a lot more activity with the LB’s is starting to create some havoc. That will probably be dialed up some as the competition steps up.

I personally still have some reservations about how the offense will look when better teams start loading up the box to stop the run. USC played us honest last week and we were able to run but had they loaded up the box would we? Could we have passed well enough to overcome? 6-13 with 119 yds passing and 13-27 for 97 yds doesn’t give me a lot of hope.

Go Rebels!

I personally still have some reservations about how the offense will look when better teams start loading up the box to stop the run. USC played us honest last week and we were able to run but had they loaded up the box would we? Could we have passed well enough to overcome? 6-13 with 119 yds passing and 13-27 for 97 yds doesn’t give me a lot of hope.

I would guess you'll start to see a little more RPO in those situations. Also, Armani didn't need to do it much, but he did have some quality throws down field (of course main one that comes to mind was first TD)... I think the threat of a 50+ yd td reception is enough to keep most MWC defenses honest. Especially when you consider that *most* of the mountain west has looked suspect so far.

Either way, can't help but feeling like this is a time for optimism. Some combination of UNLV on the rise and others are falling. Looking like it'll be a fun year!

Looking at the web site it doesn’t look like there was any excitement on this board last night but there was plenty to be excited about at the game,

Tyleek Collins is hopefully gonna be a player we talk about for years to come. 2 TD’s in his first home game. Power 5 recruit that we were in the right place to scoop up. With all of the quality WR’s we have it is mighty impressive that CTS is working him into a prominent role in the offense.

Gabe McCoy just keeps improving. Extremely quick at the LB position. One great sack last night when he was was one on one with a slower OL trying to keep him out of the backfield.

Mekhi Stevenson, Brandon Presley, Woods, Hester, Flowers, Khalili, Lex, X, Williams along with the O-Line all had very good games. DL is getting a good push with a lot more activity with the LB’s is starting to create some havoc. That will probably be dialed up some as the competition steps up.

Go Rebels!
Some good points. I was wondering that very thing this morning. Our run game is strong, it isn’t a fluke. Teams are going to load up vs the run and force us to get yardage through the air. Armani is capable but he’s been far from sharp and hasn’t been consistent.

I’ve been surprised about the overall lack of enthusiasm with the program. Fans aren’t showing. This team has some promise. I was surprised with last night’s home opening crowd. I really thought people were going to sink their teeth more than they have. Is it the effect of the Knights? Just broken fans?

I would guess you'll start to see a little more RPO in those situations. Also, Armani didn't need to do it much, but he did have some quality throws down field (of course main one that comes to mind was first TD)... I think the threat of a 50+ yd td reception is enough to keep most MWC defenses honest. Especially when you consider that *most* of the mountain west has looked suspect so far.

Either way, can't help but feeling like this is a time for optimism. Some combination of UNLV on the rise and others are falling. Looking like it'll be a fun year!
Don’t want to reveal myself as being ignorant but what is RPO?

I’m suspecting run pass option. Either way, we all appreciate your review of the game....

Let’s win the games we are suppose to win and some and we will be fine, easier said than done. Anyway, Go Rebs!

Some good points. I was wondering that very thing this morning. Our run game is strong, it isn’t a fluke. Teams are going to load up vs the run and force us to get yardage through the air. Armani is capable but he’s been far from sharp and hasn’t been consistent.

I’ve been surprised about the overall lack of enthusiasm with the program. Fans aren’t showing. This team has some promise. I was surprised with last night’s home opening crowd. I really thought people were going to sink their teeth more than they have. Is it the effect of the Knights? Just broken fans?
i think a huge part of it was the weather. Hard to get to excited over a football game when it's 109 degrees out. Especially when you can watch it on tv.

Reactions: ricovegas
i think a huge part of it was the weather. Hard to get to excited over a football game when it's 109 degrees out. Especially when you can watch it on tv.
Perhaps. I hope that’s what it was. Quite surprised regardless. Maybe it’s because I’m higher on this team than any in long time.... so I guess I’m expecting other fans would feel similarly.

I wasn’t there, watched it on TV, but heat nor it being on TV isn’t what kept me from going, had both little ones last night.

Expect to win next week and then if we can pull one out at Arkansas State, I think you’ll see fans start really showing. I mean seriously, UNLV at 3-1? I’d have to look it up.... that Arkansas State game can be pivotal on many fronts.

Reactions: lvrebalum2012
Perhaps. I hope that’s what it was. Quite surprised regardless. Maybe it’s because I’m higher on this team than any in long time.... so I guess I’m expecting other fans would feel similarly.

I wasn’t there, watched it on TV, but heat nor it being on TV isn’t what kept me from going, had both little ones last night.

Expect to win next week and then if we can pull one out at Arkansas State, I think you’ll see fans start really showing. I mean seriously, UNLV at 3-1? I’d have to look it up.... that Arkansas State game can be pivotal on many fronts.

Looked like a sellout crowd! Were a lot of peanuts sold?

Can’t believe I forgot to mention the biggest upgrade to the team. It’s our punter, Hayes Hickens. All his punts were over 50 yds including those into the wind.

Also i enjoyed the $5.00 drink and eat special.

Reactions: Rebel Chi-girl
Can’t believe I forgot to mention the biggest upgrade to the team. It’s our punter, Hayes Hickens. All his punts were over 50 yds including those into the wind.

This! I was blown away by the punting in either direction last night. Average could go down 10 yds and as long as there aren't any shanks, I'm happy!

A little concerned about the passing game. I know that the deep ball has been stressed in the off season, but the mid range passing game seems non existent. And i really like our WR corps.

It was an easy win, so i'm not stressing it much. A more balanced attack can really tske this team places. I think we have a very good line and really good weapons at the skill positions.

Tyleek Collins is also a gamer worth mentioning. He will have a very good career here in vegas might take the helm once Presley and keys graduate

Reactions: j. spilotro
Watched it on tv and was screaming about our run defense in the first quarter. Seemed we were getting blown off the line of scrimmage and were giving up huge chunks of yards. Even the LB's weren't filling and were picked up quite easily by their OL.

Yeah so what?..did you watch the Stanford USC game...2 top 25 teams. Stands weren't even half way filled for a top 10 team @ home against a rival ranked team...

I was at this game, it wasnt sold out but certainly more than 1/2 full. Announced attendance 42k, Stadium holds 50k and for a Stanford game it was a really good atmosphere. School not in session yet.

That was my 1st of 4 weeks in a row in different stadiums, this week Austin for SC vs Texas, then Eugene for Stanford vs Oregon, then Berkeley for Oregon vs Cal.

I was at this game, it wasnt sold out but certainly more than 1/2 full. Announced attendance 42k, Stadium holds 50k and for a Stanford game it was a really good atmosphere. School not in session yet.

That was my 1st of 4 weeks in a row in different stadiums, this week Austin for SC vs Texas, then Eugene for Stanford vs Oregon, then Berkeley for Oregon vs Cal.

Austin is a pretty good atmosphere, have been there for a game sine Mack Brown was coach, so unsure how it will be these days.

If you don't mind waiting several hours, Franklin's BBQ is some of the best in the country. You have to go early, bring chairs and snacks. They'll sell you drinks too. They will sell out of everything by probably 2 pm, so be warned. Brisket is absolutely ridiculous.

Austin is a pretty good atmosphere, have been there for a game sine Mack Brown was coach, so unsure how it will be these days.

If you don't mind waiting several hours, Franklin's BBQ is some of the best in the country. You have to go early, bring chairs and snacks. They'll sell you drinks too. They will sell out of everything by probably 2 pm, so be warned. Brisket is absolutely ridiculous.

We were there for Notre Dame two years ago, been to Austin about 5 times, all in the last 3 years (we bought 2 houses there so that is what got us there the first time). Havent been to Franklins yet because I wont wait in line but Im aware of it and have driven by, heard that you can order take out without waiting?. Went to Salt Lick once it was average at best. Looks like the weather will be typical crappy Texas weather this weekend hopefully no long delays or cancellation. UT is selling alcohol in the stadium as of last season so that is a plus.

We were there for Notre Dame two years ago, been to Austin about 5 times, all in the last 3 years (we bought 2 houses there so that is what got us there the first time). Havent been to Franklins yet because I wont wait in line but Im aware of it and have driven by, heard that you can order take out without waiting?. Went to Salt Lick once it was average at best. Looks like the weather will be typical crappy Texas weather this weekend hopefully no long delays or cancellation. UT is selling alcohol in the stadium as of last season so that is a plus.

Salt lick is decent, Franklin's is definitely next level. Knowing that you will wait helps. Its a fun, tailgating environment. Bring drinks. They have people checking in line asking what you want to order and they will tell you if they expect to be out of a particular item at that time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT