ADVERTISEMENT

UTAH VS USC

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
I know Harper has said he wants someone with HC experience. I think it was a mistake in terms of PR.

Let's say UNLV has a list of 10 candidates all HCs.

Let's say they strike out for whatever reason. Get outbid, dream job suddenly opens up etc.

Now what?

So reason for USC/Utah thread, I think USC DC Alex Grinch should at least be on the radar based on his resume.

I hope Harper is able to get a guy with HC experience. Skeptical. Bot because of his ability but what we all know us the biggest issue. Money.

I think you can always find SOMEONE to take the job with HC experience. May not inspire the masses (like say Derek Mason), but if he wants to find someone to fit the narrative, he will. He did however leave the door open with his comments. Something like he’d be looking for someone with experience, but if the right guy doesn’t, that‘s OK too.

Usually when AD’s make specific comments it’s usually because a deal is done or at least he has 3 or 4 guys in mind that fit the criteria. I remember when Lon Kruger was hired, Hamrick listed his criteria and basically listed Kruger’s resume because it was basically a done deal. DRF did a similar thing 3 years ago when Arroyo was hired.

I’m sure Harper has his guy. He may be shooting for the stars (Sanders), but have a fail safe (Stoops) or something. Guess we’ll see…

I think you can always find SOMEONE to take the job with HC experience. May not inspire the masses (like say Derek Mason), but if he wants to find someone to fit the narrative, he will. He did however leave the door open with his comments. Something like he’d be looking for someone with experience, but if the right guy doesn’t, that‘s OK too.

Usually when AD’s make specific comments it’s usually because a deal is done or at least he has 3 or 4 guys in mind that fit the criteria. I remember when Lon Kruger was hired, Hamrick listed his criteria and basically listed Kruger’s resume because it was basically a done deal. DRF did a similar thing 3 years ago when Arroyo was hired.

I’m sure Harper has his guy. He may be shooting for the stars (Sanders), but have a fail safe (Stoops) or something. Guess we’ll see…

Of course.

What I'm saying is, what part of that press conference did people focus on?

HC experience.

I think the best/safest route in that situation is to say extensive search not provide parameters.

I think we've seen it enough in basketball (Cronin/Beard) not to mention other floated names like Jamie Dixon, there's no deal done until dude has a press conference rocking Rebel gear...And even then...

If he wants Sanders he'll need 5+ million according to a report coming out of CBS News Colorado. UC reportedly ready to offer 5 million to get him..

Please God not Mike Stoops.

Reactions: 220reb
Of course.

What I'm saying is, what part of that press conference did people focus on?

HC experience.

I think the best/safest route in that situation is to say extensive search not provide parameters.

I think we've seen it enough in basketball (Cronin/Beard) not to mention other floated names like Jamie Dixon, there's no deal done until dude has a press conference rocking Rebel gear...And even then...

If he wants Sanders he'll need 5+ million according to a report coming out of CBS News Colorado. UC reportedly ready to offer 5 million to get him..

Please God not Mike Stoops.
Was just using Sanders as an example. Just seems that when AD’s start listing qualities in a HC that they are looking for, it’s typically because they have someone in mind. That way they win by hiring the “perfect” candidate. In the case Kruger, they could have had George Karl, but the Kruger deal was basically a done. Could be the same here (it is if you believe the guy from the other thread), only time will tell. Or maybe Patterson was that guy and had a change of heart or something (like your examples above).

I do find it interesting that very little information has come out. All the articles mentioned about the search have been speculation without any substance. I do like that, since news of potential candidates usually shuts it down.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Was just using Sanders as an example. Just seems that when AD’s start listing qualities in a HC that they are looking for, it’s typically because they have someone in mind. That way they win by hiring the “perfect” candidate. In the case Kruger, they could have had George Karl, but the Kruger deal was basically a done. Could be the same here (it is if you believe the guy from the other thread), only time will tell. Or maybe Patterson was that guy and had a change of heart or something (like your examples above).

I do find it interesting that very little information has come out. All the articles mentioned about the search have been speculation without any substance. I do like that, since news of potential candidates usually shuts it down.

Agree. Also a lot of rumors floated are fueled by agents to drive up contracts. Remember right before Arroyo was hired, there was a flood of talk about Dave Aranda (Now at Baylor) coming to UNLV. Guarantee that was an agent working to squeeze a few more bucks out of Baylor.

I know Harper has said he wants someone with HC experience. I think it was a mistake in terms of PR.

Let's say UNLV has a list of 10 candidates all HCs.

Let's say they strike out for whatever reason. Get outbid, dream job suddenly opens up etc.

Now what?

So reason for USC/Utah thread, I think USC DC Alex Grinch should at least be on the radar based on his resume.

I hope Harper is able to get a guy with HC experience. Skeptical. Bot because of his ability but what we all know us the biggest issue. Money.
There are 131 FBS programs - each one has a head coach.

Jesus Christ..UTAh destroying the Trojans.

They were absolutely the more physical team.

Turning point in the game in my opinion was when Utah turned it over giving SC good field position. Down 17-3 already they were at risk of getting blown out of the building. Stopped SC on 4th down and then scored. Making it a ball game again.

Well, if you like that traditional UNLV defense of poor tackling secondary and a DL that gets blown off the ball, and poor pursuit angles then Grinch is your guy I guess.

Seriously, that Trojan defense was abhorrible. I talked to a few friends that were USC supporters and they said PLEASE TAKE HIM.

I didn't want a coordinator, but I for SURE don't want that coordinator.

Well, if you like that traditional UNLV defense of poor tackling secondary and a DL that gets blown off the ball, and poor pursuit angles then Grinch is your guy I guess.

Seriously, that Trojan defense was abhorrible. I talked to a few friends that were USC supporters and they said PLEASE TAKE HIM.

I didn't want a coordinator, but I for SURE don't want that coordinator.

They were not great last night.

Not sure how much of that is personal left over. They haven't been great this year outside of forcing turnovers. Tackling was god awful last night.

However he's been the DC at a number of big programs so something must be there. Or he has incriminating photos of somebody.

Scalley, Utah's DC was a candidate for UNLV job last time out. Not sure if they would reach out again.

I'd listen to Scalley in a heartbeat if we couldn't get someone with HC experience. Utah is consistently good on defense--but I've heard he's basically the HCIW when Whittingham steps down, and they don't think that's too far out.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Don’t want Scalley either, we need a HC, not another potential Arroyo!

I'd listen to Scalley in a heartbeat if we couldn't get someone with HC experience. Utah is consistently good on defense--but I've heard he's basically the HCIW when Whittingham steps down, and they don't think that's too far out.

K-State DC..

@j. spilotro @reagan21

Hey, did UNLV keep Morgan Scalley's number?

Holy beatdown.

And USC tackling was awful this game. No joke they must have given up 150+ yards after contact.
Hahahahaha. That was a complete beat down. I saw the game up close and personal. Yikes.

Question for you, what would you rather have as your next HC, many much FCS HC experience with FBS coordinator experience or FBS DC experience? Hypothetically speaking…

Hahahahaha. That was a complete beat down. I saw the game up close and personal. Yikes.

Question for you, what would you rather have as your next HC, many much FCS HC experience with FBS coordinator experience or FBS DC experience? Hypothetically speaking…

FCS HC experience..But it would depend on DCs track record. Would have to show they consistently rebuilt traditionally poor defenses..

Tough call though.

FCS HC experience..But it would depend on DCs track record. Would have to show they consistently rebuilt traditionally poor defenses..

Tough call though.
Would mostly agree. Would depend on the experience. Would lean FCS HC most of the time, but would depend on whether they just took over an already established program or if they built one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT