ADVERTISEMENT

USC Starting QB

Hopefully a new scheme with a new defensive coordinator can give this true frosh a couple problems. Based on what I read about this QB, and based on the last 20 years of UNLV’s defensive history, I’m not gonna hold my breath... but til Saturday we can certainly hope.

Throw some shiz at him, Skip. See how he handles it. If we can keep the number of possessions down, this thing could be competitive in the second half. Then, who knows, the freshman might do freshman things.

Ugh, I think it is good we get a green true frosh for the first game. Better sooner than later.

I'm just worried that we won't be able to move that ball that well on them. They are stacked on D.

Last edited:
Id expect a lot of high percentage short passes, a lot of runs, but from their scrimmages it seems they werent afraid to have him throw deep and he reportedly did well.

This kid is really good, but he should be a SR at Mater Dei so probably no better time to see him then his first college game.

Reactions: dcut03
Throw some shiz at him, Skip. See how he handles it. If we can keep the number of possessions down, this thing could be competitive in the second half. Then, who knows, the freshman might do freshman things.
Agreed. Last thing you want to do is let a freshman get comfortable and gain confidence. Can’t just sit back in coverage with low pressure .... mix it up. We aren’t expected to stay close in this one, may as well roll the dice with some defensive stuff and see how it pans out.

I suspect USC won’t go heavy air early anyway, probably safe passes to get him comfy in the pocket and just keep the yard markers moving.

Reactions: SoCalFan
I think it was the second game of the season and UNLV had him semi-rattled at times. Weren’t we down only 7 points as a heavy dog heading into the 4th before giving up a couple scores? We hung for awhile. It wasn’t a terrible showing.
I think the close game was Rosen's sophomore year when we visited UCLA. That game felt competitive.

The year before at Sam Boyd we faced Rosen in his 2nd game. I think Decker got hurt and we were limited with Palendech throughout the game. Was never close.

I think the close game was Rosen's sophomore year when we visited UCLA. That game felt competitive.

The year before at Sam Boyd we faced Rosen in his 2nd game. I think Decker got hurt and we were limited with Palendech throughout the game. Was never close.
You’re right in the date and most of the details. We couldn’t move the ball on their defense, especially once Decker went down. But it was actually close through most of the first half. It was 10-0 when Palendech threw a TERRIBLE interception late in first half for a pick-6 (pretty much was getting sacked and just lobbed it up). They went up 17-0 and we never contended.

USC will probably run the ball 15 out of the first 20 possessions on offense. Let's see if we can stop their HUGE defensive line and their run blocks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT