ADVERTISEMENT

UNM

TarkisGod

Lottery Pick
Dec 17, 2005
Tonight we get a visit from the Lobos. They are not having a good year, coming in with an overall record of record of 8-11. In Mountain West Conference play, they are 3-3. They have won all three of their home games, all against lower-tier teams. They have handily defeated Air Force (87-58) and San Jose St (80-47) and downed Wyoming in a somewhat closer battle (75-66). Their three losses have all come on the road, vs higher-ranked opponents. They were soundly drubbed at Boise St (62-90), played Fresno St fairly closely (80-89) and nearly upset Reno (74-77)

They are winless overall on the road, registering an 0-6 record. All of these numbers make it look like the Rebels have a decided advantage coming into this game. However, let’s remember that Utah St. was also winless on the road when they visited the T&M, and we know how that turned out.

The Rebels, meanwhile, are 13-4. They are 2-2 in MW play. Oddly enough, they are 2-0 on the road, admittedly vs lowly, San Jose and Air Force, while dropping both contests at home. The first to a very good Boise St team, and the second, a big upset vs Utah St.

The game is a reunion for Head Coaches Marvin Menzies and Paul Weir. Weir served as an assistant to Menzies for nine successful years at New Mexico State. Weir succeeded Menzies as Head Coach, when Menzies left for the UNLV job. Weir then moved on to the UNM job, where he’s going through a similar rebuilding season as Menzies went through last year at UNLV. The two are very close friends.

As for the Lobos team, their top player, Sam Longwood, a 6’8” senior forward who averages 12.9 points and 4.9 rebounds per game, is out with a shoulder injury. Of the active players, 6’1” junior PG Chris McNeal leads the way with 10.8 ppg with 3.1 assists and 2.2 reb. Close behind in scoring, is junior 6’3” SG Anthony Mathis with 10.6 ppg.

The Rebels have yet to look dominant in a conference game. They have barely beaten lowly San Jose St in overtime, and Air Force in regulation. It will take a better effort by them to avoid going 0-3 at the T&M. Their strength, size and power in the paint, in the persons of Brendon McCoy, and Shakur Juiston, were basically MIA vs Air Force. It fell on the shoulders off the backcourt, Jordan Johnson, and JoJo Mooring, and the bench, particularly Tervell Beck, Amauri Hardy and Mbacke Diong to carry the load. Let’s hope the front court puts out a stronger effort vs New Mexico.

The overnight line on the game has the Rebels as 8.5 point favorites.

Update: Current line is now 7.5. The total is 161.
images

Go Rebels!

Last edited:
Would love to have a blow out conference win for once but it hasn't been our style yet.

Rebels looking pretty awful so far.. Lucky to be only down 2 at 17-19.

With Dembele in the game, Rebels have 3 players who can't make a FT.

This may be the game the Rebels fail to convert a 3-pointer

Timeout. Holding for last shot.Unbelievable. Tied at the half. It feels like the Rebels should be down my double-digits.

Last edited:
Rebels need to take control in first 10 minutes of 2nd half. McCoy is in foul trouble. He & Juiston once again failing to be impact players.

Looks like it's on the shoulders of the gaurds again.

Rebels looked like they were about to make a run, but the 3-point shooting of UNM got them back in the lead. Tied now. Going to be another nail-biter''

Diong playing great. Where's Beck? Hardy?

Rebels need an injection of defensive energy

If the Rebels hold this lead, they can thank Diong for the win.

I take back my comment about Shakur. He's crashing the boards.

OMG...Ft's are killing us,and a Technical no less, and McCoy's 4th foul. Could that have gone any worse?
And the streak contmues

Last edited:
Refs have been terrible so far! NuNu drives, jumps in the air to shoot, gets fouled, makes the shot (still in the air), blocking foul called, then changed to an offensive foul, then changed back to a blocking foul, and the Rebels get the ball out of bounds at the baseline. HOW IS THAT NOT AN AND-1???? You have to count that basket!

We’ve got to be like 20% from the free throw line so far

This team is the definition of frustration.Another coin-flip. up 12 and now a 1-pt game.Ugh!

Diong! The man in this game. With a feed from Hardy. The bench delivers. Leave them in Marvin

The bad officiating is expected, I guess, since Dave Hall is one of the officials.

I was about to credit Mooring with the dagger, and then he fouls for a 4-point play. A 1-point game.

Then he takes a bad shot. Lobos with the ball. 27 seconds left down 1.

Good Night...Unbelievable 0-3 at home. How is that possible?

Last edited:
This team is so frustrating. They simply can't put anyone away in , as MM calls it "winning time". I wanted to anoint Diong the MVP, but how can you do that when they blow the damn game?

I want to scream!

woman-computer-screaming-cartoon-c.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t want to hear any other teams complain about our unfair advantage in the MWC tournament by playing at the T&M

I think you meant Mbake Diong, but yeah, point taken.
My Bad. Fixed it on edit. Thanks for noting my error. As frustrating as this loss was, the one bright spot was the big African. He was spectacular. He should be earning more quality minutes. And I look forward to watching him develop over the next few seasons.
stock-vector-cartoon-vector-clip-art-illustration-of-a-african-american-male-basketball-player-dribbling-363637244.jpg

Go Rebels!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT