ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV Tier 1 Research University

RebNReno

NBA Draft Pick
Oct 17, 2015
The LVSun is reporting that UNLV has achieved Carnegie R1 status! This is some very surprising news. I always heard our Tier 1 goal was going to be a 10+ year plan. This is insane. We're the only Tier 1 research university in the state of Nevada. It's nice to officially pass by UNR.

From a football perspective this is huge news too. the PAC 12 presidents would never even consider a school that wasn't R1. We are still nowhere near PAC level academics but at least we're on our way up.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2018/dec/19/unlv-joins-nations-120-most-elite-colleges-as-carn/

Wow, how the hell did that happen? Awesome news, but pretty unexpected since as you said, it was a long term goal.

The LVSun is reporting that UNLV has achieved Carnegie R1 status! This is some very surprising news. I always heard our Tier 1 goal was going to be a 10+ year plan. This is insane. We're the only Tier 1 research university in the state of Nevada. It's nice to officially pass by UNR.

From a football perspective this is huge news too. the PAC 12 presidents would never even consider a school that wasn't R1. We are still nowhere near PAC level academics but at least we're on our way up.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2018/dec/19/unlv-joins-nations-120-most-elite-colleges-as-carn/

This is as big a piece to P5 acceptance as the stadium the facility.

Carnegie R1 if that is the same thing as Tier 1 HELL YA! No stopping us now!

Carnegie is the highest level of ratings as far as I know. Simple fact is you can either go to a real R1 (tier 1) research university, or you can go to a R2 (tier 2) university up north. unr have fun being tier 2!

While a Carnegie R1 doesn't equate to an overall Tier 1 ranking, this is a huge achievement. Every University in the PAC and in the Big Ten are in the Carnegie R1 which is not the case for the ACC, SEC & Big 12.
We need to move up quite a bit to get into the Tier 1 over all ranking but Washington State and Oregon State are within clear striking distance now because the new Medical School and the continued climb by the law school are going to help us rocket up the ranks from this point forward.
If we can get into the Tier 1, with our improved facilities and growing population and large size of the Southern NV TV market, then it can become a no-brainer for the PAC to take us on their next expansion.

Last edited:
Reactions: bcvegaspt
Carnegie is the highest level of ratings as far as I know. Simple fact is you can either go to a real R1 (tier 1) research university, or you can go to a R2 (tier 2) university up north. unr have fun being tier 2!
It's the highest level for "Research Universities", which is a great thing. Ivy League's Dartmouth actually fell out of it and just got back in.

Funny how UNLV brags about diversity, while they ignore the ethnic makeup of the Las Vegas Valley and they have done everything they can to squeeze out any and all male students. I read articles how they brag about how well the school has done for women while doing absolutely NOTHING for the 49% of the population that is male. UNLV is currently 57% female and 43% male and they keep pouring money into programs to assist female students while doing nothing for the male students. If my son wasn't getting the military to pay for his education at UNLV, he would have been hamstrung by UNLV in comparison to female students ability to get scholarships and grants.

Reactions: j. spilotro
Funny how UNLV brags about diversity, while they ignore the ethnic makeup of the Las Vegas Valley and they have done everything they can to squeeze out any and all male students. I read articles how they brag about how well the school has done for women while doing absolutely NOTHING for the 49% of the population that is male. UNLV is currently 57% female and 43% male and they keep pouring money into programs to assist female students while doing nothing for the male students. If my son wasn't getting the military to pay for his education at UNLV, he would have been hamstrung by UNLV in comparison to female students ability to get scholarships and grants.
I don't know what you are talking about regarding ethnic back ground. Heck, the football coaching staff is excellent from a diversity standpoint. Itmight represent Las Vegas as well as it possibly could with the HC being Hispanic and the DC being Black.

As for gender equity, there is a lot of bad time to be made up for when the best universities were primarily male and that's likely what's driving it. Happens nearly everywhere when it comes to gender at the best Universities. The data in the Lee v. Harvard admissions case clearly demonstrates that Asian males are held to a higher admissions standard at Harvard than anyone else but the same data also establishes that a female with the same ACT/SAT scores and GPA is over 25% more likely to get into an Ivy League University than a male. The percentage in favor of females is even greater when it comes to scholarships and aid. I'm not saying that it's right or wrong...it's just how it is.

Last edited:
In my many, many years at unlv, including time chairing the University's Scholarship Committee, I NEVER saw any gender bias with respect to admissions or financial aid. I can't speak to what goes on at other schools, but at unlv, women who apply have better hs grades and test scores, on average, than men applicants.

I never really wondered why the disparity existed. My goal was always to get the best possible students to enroll at unlv regardless of gender, race, nationality, religion, etc.

Reactions: SDbaby7&
The issue is that UNLV has numerous scholarships and programs that directly assist getting more women into the university system. Trying to make up for what happened 25-50 years ago by tossing out the current male students, who were not even alive at the time, is wrong. Sam as for ethnic diversity, I am not talking about the staff, I am talking about the student makeup.

I am not a lawyer, but I believe unlv cannot award scholarships based on gender. UNLV certainly never did that when I was chairing the scholarship committee,

The issue is that UNLV has numerous scholarships and programs that directly assist getting more women into the university system. Trying to make up for what happened 25-50 years ago by tossing out the current male students, who were not even alive at the time, is wrong. Sam as for ethnic diversity, I am not talking about the staff, I am talking about the student makeup.
That's cool.
I do think that the ethnic diversity for UNLV is pretty good though. According to NICHE, Diversity Rating at UNLV is a solid "A". Here's a link.

https://www.niche.com/colleges/university-of-nevada-las-vegas/

I am not a lawyer, but I believe unlv cannot award scholarships based on gender. UNLV certainly never did that when I was chairing the scholarship committee,
No idea if they can or can't in general but it is legal for scholarships to be gender and race specific if they are in a "protected class". Upheld repeatedly by the Supreme Court.

C'mon now.

UNLV is $6,600 per year for in-state tuition and that's a pretty fair price. If you graduate high school in state with a 3.3 GPA the Millennium Scholarship covers like $10K of that. Nobody from Nevada should be getting into too much debt to go to UNLV because it's just not that expensive.

Has it gotten so good at UNLV that this is what people are reduced to complaining about? That they sought out disadvantaged groups of people to help them get higher educations (allegedly)? I see that as a good thing if so.

Reactions: ricovegas
C'mon now.

UNLV is $6,600 per year for in-state tuition and that's a pretty fair price.....

To be honest, it's more than that but it's still too cheap. People pay twice as much to send kids to private high school in Las Vegas.

Now this is getting bit too political. I'll move on.

To be honest, it's more than that but it's still too cheap. People pay twice as much to send kids to private high school in Las Vegas.

Now this is getting bit too political. I'll move on.
I’m dating myself here, but I believe when I first attended UNLV, it was about $35 per undergrad credit. Taking 16 credits plus books was around $900 per semester undergrad ... I graduated from Gorman, I believe as a parishioner it was around $1500 per semester. By the time I graduated UNLV, credits were almost doubled, but I was a career student with 5 different majors (kept switching so I could keep my front row student tickets for some amazing basketball ... priorities you know) in those years and it took a little while.

Especially undergrad, back then, there was more value in the Gorman tuition. My first two years of UNLV undergrad stuff (for applicable classes, core classes), UNLV was straight review. And depending on your electives at Gorman (I took the advanced biologies & chemistries and Zoology type of stuff as electives at Gorman instead of the stupid easy A ones like typing and teachers aid and things like that), much of the early major stuff wasn’t review too.

I don’t know what Gorman/Meadows/etc costs now but I suspect the ratio is still pretty similar with private costing more than UNLV.

I don’t know what Gorman/Meadows/etc costs now but I suspect the ratio is still pretty similar with private costing more than UNLV.

Yup. Gorman tuition is just over $13,000 a year including the additional fees and costs. Meadows & Adelson are much higher.

Gorman offered me a two year academic scholarship, but my family said no because we only have one car in 8 family members at the time... wish I experienced it

Gorman offered me a two year academic scholarship, but my family said no because we only have one car in 8 family members at the time... wish I experienced it
Gorman is great if you are a football or basketball player and, of course, being Catholic would be an added bonus.
On pure academics, the magnate high schools in the CCSD are just as good if not better than the private schools and they are free. As just one example, it's really amazing how much the Ivy league and other top 100 schools in the nation academically go after the academic stars at the Las Vegas Academy of the Arts.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
While both of my kids have either gone to or are going to magnate schools, most private schools are still a mile ahead of the magnate schools. The private school that my son attended through 8th grade has a 100% college attendance, and 100% of the high school students who graduate received scholarships for a full ride the last few years. My youngest son is currently in his first year at a magnate school and can clearly see the drop off in academics compared to 8th grade to 9th grade.

I hope this is not off topic...Well... I was a Basic grad then 2 years of community college then 2 years at UNLV. My profs at UNLV were amazing (mainly science). Post grad was SCUHS (Chiropractic). My family was mid blue collar. Dad worked at TIMET. Mom was at home. This is not a brag but an example of real life: I had 25 years of practice which was amazing. In 2010 I moved on and launched what is now the second largest chiro international distance leaning institute in the world (ccedsewminars.com) with a faculty of 13 profs. The point is that education at a high level is desirable but not a pass to a successful professional life....Much of success comes down to other qualities such as determination and creativity. Please receive this post in the intended spirit intended.

I hope this is not off topic...Well... I was a Basic grad then 2 years of community college then 2 years at UNLV. My profs at UNLV were amazing (mainly science). Post grad was SCUHS (Chiropractic). My family was mid blue collar. Dad worked at TIMET. Mom was at home. This is not a brag but an example of real life: I had 25 years of practice which was amazing. In 2010 I moved on and launched what is now the second largest chiro international distance leaning institute in the world (ccedsewminars.com) with a faculty of 13 profs. The point is that education at a high level is desirable but not a pass to a successful professional life....Much of success comes down to other qualities such as determination and creativity. Please receive this post in the intended spirit intended.
I saw dolts graduate with high marks from Gorman who did nothing with their life and “average” students from Valley HS accomplish heavy goals.

You still get out of it what you put into it.

A real ambitious go getter that is going to get top marks wherever they go, they’re better off at private because the teachings/material is more high level but more importantly, the opportunities earned are greater. But they by no means clear the path. There is still work to do.

Still comes down to the individual. You can cross the country by walking, riding a bike, driving a car or flying in a plane. As long as you get there who cares how you did it?

Reactions: Sam-I-am and tomrut
I saw dolts graduate with high marks from Gorman who did nothing with their life and “average” students from Valley HS accomplish heavy goals.

You still get out of it what you put into it.

A real ambitious go getter that is going to get top marks wherever they go, they’re better off at private because the teachings/material is more high level but more importantly, the opportunities earned are greater. But they by no means clear the path. There is still work to do.

Still comes down to the individual. You can cross the country by walking, riding a bike, driving a car or flying in a plane. As long as you get there who cares how you did it?

Agreed Brothaman. I craweled. :cheers2:

I agree with what you said. I didn't have the chance to go to a private school, I went to Chaparral and then to UNLV for multiple degrees, but I found a way to allow my kids to go to a private school until they picked a magnate school after 8th grade. They both got accepted. The older one is on the dean's list student at UNLV while the other is doing very well at SECTA. Without question you can flourish anywhere if you have the drive within yourself to do well. They both had a better path going this magnate direction because of their specialties going into computers which was not offered in the private schools.

The great thing is that UNLV has one of the best mainframe computers in the country which has allowed for the computer portion of the school to flourish!

The difference is that the Univ of Reno got the research T1 designation due to research into cow tipping and outhouse construction!

Reactions: Sam-I-am
You still get out of it what you put into it....

Which I tell my son every day. Then I remind him that the Co-founder of Twitter [Ev Williams], Gabrielle Union, Warren Buffett and Johnny Carson went to the state university I graduated from....

Which always elicits a reply of "who's Johnny Carson?" :(

Which I tell my son every day. Then I remind him that the Co-founder of Twitter [Ev Williams], Gabrielle Union, Warren Buffett and Johnny Carson went to the state university I graduated from....

Which always elicits a reply of "who's Johnny Carson?" :(

It is not the school...It is the person.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT