ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV @ SJSU (-16) 7:30 PM FS2

RebNReno

NBA Draft Pick
Oct 17, 2015
UNLV @ San Jose State tomorrow tonight. A month ago I thought this was our best shot at a road win this season but wow things have changed. SJSU was predicted to finish just above us at the bottom of the MWC but they’re 3-0 and look like a solid team.

They have a good QB who was knocked out with a concussion last week but the backup came in and still led them to a big win over SDSU. Glad I can watch this game on FS2 but it might get ugly regardless of who their QB is.

Last edited:
I danger of going for zero wins. Only one other coach pulled that off - Jim Strong.

I danger of going for zero wins. Only one other coach pulled that off - Jim Strong.
It was actually Horton who did that and his ass was immediately fired for that garbage. The only good thing about that season was it led to J Rob coming here.

I still don’t think we’re going 0-fer this year. Might not be this week but we’ll get one.

It was actually Horton who did that and his ass was immediately fired for that garbage. The only good thing about that season was it led to J Rob coming here.

I still don’t think we’re going 0-fer this year. Might not be this week but we’ll get one.
You're absolutely correct. I can't keep up with what crappy coach did what and when. Go figure.

Reactions: RebelScrub

Two years earlier Horton's Rebels some how managed to beat a pretty good SDSU team 44-42 in the second to last game of the season to avoid another O-fer on his head coaching resume. SDSU finshed 8-3 that season with a several NFL guys on that team.

We won't win a game until our defense learns how to play football. They are absolutely horrible!!!

It's as though our team is not even coached. Like they all just came out, had a beer and decided to play a little.

I know some people here were saying it’s early. But this team is really bad. Never seen a team this undisciplined and over matched since the Horton days. Btw Reno is now 4-0. Wtf.

Field position has been brutal all night long and we don't have either an offense or a punter to flip it.

D is wearing down. Too many lapses. Lucky they didn't call 2 more DPI's on us. SJ settles for a fg. 34-17 with time running out.

Why did we punt? 4'th & 2, down 17 with 4:30 to go & 4'th down conversions are the only thing we have been good at this year.

What are we paying 1.5 million dollars for. I can't see much improvement in this team. I know it's year one and we didn't have any spring ball, covid, and only 30 days of practice. So the excuses are built in. Hopefully his good recruiting will continue because we are not very good at any position.

Last edited:
"Out of all the new coaches, Arroyo has made the biggest impact. He brought in a great recruiting class in a very short time and has the youth and energy to be the face of this program. Now we have to get an answer to the bigger question; can he actually coach? Many Oregon fans were not impressed with Arroyo as their offensive coordinator and were not sad to see him go. I think Arroyo will be an upgrade over Sanchez and will have some solid seasons for the Rebels, but will he be there long enough to see things through?"

From an article in SB Nation last spring.

Haucks first game at home I believe it was against Wisconsin you saw some improvements on the defense we loss but you walk away from the game saying ok saw something there. Sanchez first home game vs UCLA offense was clicking we even lead at half. We lost and I walked away and said ok the offense is better. I see Horton Football out of the first 4 games this year no improvement anywhere. Team is undisciplined . #74 should be suspended next game for the late hit on that SJ player.

We are gluttons for punishment. I don’t know how or why we do it but we just do it.

a buddy of mine was reminiscing (sp) about the old J Rob teams today...

20 f’n years ago..we had Seward, Claridge, Randy Black. That era.

Been around long enough to know about the vicious cycle..oh let’s give the team a mulligan in their first year blah blah blah.

will there ever be the straw that breaks the camel’s back when it comes to UNLV football and fan patience?
Oh well, Go Rebels.

Reactions: j. spilotro
There are five other 1st year coaches in the league. Our win/loss puts Arroyo tied for the bottom when you compare them. On the other hand, you have to give him props for recruiting. But a coach has to do something with those players. And if he can't show some wins the recruits will stop coming - kids don't want to voluntarily come to a loser.

There are five other 1st year coaches in the league. Our win/loss puts Arroyo tied for the bottom when you compare them. On the other hand, you have to give him props for recruiting. But a coach has to do something with those players. And if he can't show some wins the recruits will stop coming - kids don't want to voluntarily come to a loser.

Too early to tell. Who knows how Arroyo will be as a coach?

It is worth noting that UNLV's opponents are now a combine 14-2. He had no cupcake warm up games. Installing drastically new offenses and defenses. Etc. He inherited a bad defense that lost many starters. He is filling holes with many freshman and JUCOs. His best WR isn't playing for whatever reason.

There are things to be critical of. The Run game should be better. He has a big experienced O line with one of the best backs in the league. Despite all of what I said, the defense is still atrocious considering. We break down at the end of games, even ones where there is an outside shot of winning, or at least contesting.

There are a few things to like. The offense has potential. Gilliam has looked much better than he has ever had up to this point. I thought JR looked very good. He has a great arm and poise in the pocket. Good accuracy too. I don't know why they took him out, I'm guessing maybe he doesn't have as much of a grasp on the playbook? The few reports we got on him during camp was that he was rusty coming off the injury and the time off. I Like our D ends and the fact we actually have a pass rush.

Who knows. This is a figure things out year. I thought that this year was going to be huge with opening of Allegiant stadium with much more attendance this year due to the novelty of the stadium. A chance to capture more fans. Well of course that became moot. So might as well turn this into 8 preseason games for next year. The recruiting has been very good. We should give him a chance to develop some of these guys and see what he can do with them. I'd like to see JR get the nod for that very reason. Arroyo could easily end being a complete flop, but at least you can see potential with what he is doing.

I see a lot of reminiscing of the JRob teams...why? Those teams were mediocre at best. Sure we won a bowl one year but those teams were nothing to be proud of. If that is your standard of excellence, sheesh. The last GOOD team was the 84 Harvey Hyde team. Sure we ended up having to forfeit but we won those games.

Reactions: LocoRebel
I see a lot of reminiscing of the JRob teams...why? Those teams were mediocre at best. Sure we won a bowl one year but those teams were nothing to be proud of. If that is your standard of excellence, sheesh. The last GOOD team was the 84 Harvey Hyde team. Sure we ended up having to forfeit but we won those games.

Mediocre is great for UNLV, he also brought in more talent than we have every seen and had the team competing in games vs P5 schools even beating a couple of them (Arkansas, Wisconsin), and I think beat Reno every year but the first.

$ 1.5 millions per year.....I misses Tony Sanchez.
So do I. They should have given the man (Tony Sanchez) that put the facilities in place the money they are spending on Arroyo and his staff to hire the best assistants out there. No better ambassador for UNLV than CTS. He also would have brought in much better recruits given the opportunity. He put it all in place and DRF kicked him to the curb. 3 cannons in 5 years. Winningest coach we have had in decades. Raw deal IMHO FWIW!

20-40 is not getting a raw deal. If Arroyo is 20-40 after 5 years he will be replaced too.

Reactions: rickyb55
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT