ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV football should go to FCS

Sonny44

All American
Jan 23, 2010
All these years, UNLV football has not reached the promised land of vying consistently for the MW title. What would be wrong w/ UNLV dropping to FCS? Well, I suppose the word, "drop" is inflammatory. Time to get rid of the false pride of competing in the FBS. I'm seeing only 2 & maybe 3 star recruits coming in, year after year. Hell, FCS teams, like MT, get that level of recruits all the time. No, as the saying goes, "Insanity is doing the same thing over & over, expecting different results."

So, I suggest that UNLV does, like Villanova, a perennial basketball FBS power, whose football team competes in the FCS. And, has won some national championships doing it. Let's face it: Even if UNLV gets successful coaches from other teams, UNLV will never get the 4 & 5 star players it needs to compete in the MW, let alone the PAC12.

All these years, UNLV football has not reached the promised land of vying consistently for the MW title. What would be wrong w/ UNLV dropping to FCS? Well, I suppose the word, "drop" is inflammatory. Time to get rid of the false pride of competing in the FBS. I'm seeing only 2 & maybe 3 star recruits coming in, year after year. Hell, FCS teams, like MT, get that level of recruits all the time. No, as the saying goes, "Insanity is doing the same thing over & over, expecting different results."

So, I suggest that UNLV does, like Villanova, a perennial basketball FBS power, whose football team competes in the FCS. And, has won some national championships doing it. Let's face it: Even if UNLV gets successful coaches from other teams, UNLV will never get the 4 & 5 star players it needs to compete in the MW, let alone the PAC12.
And if we drop to an FCS league in football what league do we play basketball?

Is this an attempt at trolling?

Because you don't build a 30 million dollar facility to drop to FCS.

Can we actually wait a few years to see what the facility and stadium do for the program.

Attendance is already an issue. Having a home slate of Sacremento State, Portland State, Weber State etc would only compound that...

Reactions: rebneck

Can we actually wait a few years to see what the facility and stadium do for the program.

Attendance is already an issue. Having a home slate of Sacremento State, Portland State, Weber State etc would only compound that...
Such a logical & cogent reply. BTW how about the 2 new commits, Andrew Jones & Deamikko Nathan?

Are you talking about the Andrew Jones that decommited from Memphis? If so that would be a huge commit.

Reactions: RebelMan5000

I don't think the Fertitta Center is that much better than what other Big Sky Conference teams have. Take MT, for example:

Other BSC teams & schools have like facilities. Looks like, tho, the new FC hasn't attracted the 3,4 star recruits it needs to compete in the MW, and face it: It's not and never has been a consistently competitive program. Be of good cheer: If UNLV won an FCS national championship, you'd feel pretty good. Villanova does. But, even then, it's not North Dakota State, which could probably clean house w/ most MW teams.

I don't think the Fertitta Center is that much better than what other Big Sky Conference teams have. Take MT, for example:

Other BSC teams & schools have like facilities. Looks like, tho, the new FC hasn't attracted the 3,4 star recruits it needs to compete in the MW, and face it: It's not and never has been a consistently competitive program. Be of good cheer: If UNLV won an FCS national championship, you'd feel pretty good. Villanova does. But, even then, it's not North Dakota State, which could probably clean house w/ most MW teams.
We have a new coach and by UNLV standards especially, he’s bringing in a great recruiting class. And it’s his first year in a really wonky season.

Getting those recruits ... you know damn well freshman lineman need time .....

We may go 0 for the season. I don’t see that as any reason to cut ties or hopes or longer term expectations. Let’s give this guy a few years and see what he can develop.

First...Have you seen the Fertitta complex? It's far and away better than most facilities in not only the Mtn West but some P5 schools.

Second...UNLV despite athletic struggles, is actually a solid P5 target. It has one of the largest population/TV markets without a P5 affiliate school. It has closed the gap in the educational front with the medical and law schools.

It has new facilities and stadium making it attractive to the P5.

Will they get there, I don't know, but a move to the FCS in football would be the final nail in the coffin. Chop the program off at that point...It would bleed even more money at the FCS level.

Travel costs would remain essentially the same since the Big Sky Schools are similar geographically as MW schools.

Attendance would drop dramatically. Not only home fans but away fan attendance.

Keep trying to get it right or kill the program.

Those are the only options that make a lick of sense.

You make this argument every year, and the holes in this argument remain unchanged.

One final point, with the Knights and Raiders here now, an FCS move would relegate UNLV to absolute obscurity. People already barely care, but at least when Boise or Hawaii or a P5 school come to town there are decent crowds. After being to every game for over 20+ years I can assure you nobody, and I mean nobody is going to watch them play Sacramento State...

They would also lose MWC affiliation in basketball. Enjoy watching your Runnin Rebs play in High School sized gyms on the road when they face Cal State San Loser Abysmal.

Reactions: CRhodes1983
Don't we have one of the top rated recruiting classes in the MW next season?

I dont think UNLV goes FCS, but it looks like there could be an exodus of all the P5 schools to a new non-NCAA division in the not too distant future. Not sure how many non-P5 schools if any would be added to that group of 65 but I doubt that UNLV is anywhere near the top to be added to that entity. When this happens UNLV football will be even more disadvantaged than it currently is.

Last edited:
Reactions: j. spilotro
That may be. 247 Sports ranks UNLV's 2020 class as 2nd in MW:
Yeah. So im not quite getting the argument that we aren't getting the recruits to commit in the conference.
Sancez recruited decently well on one side of the ball. Arroyo looks to be more balanced. Who knows if Arroyo will be a good enough coach to put it all together, but I woukd say the new facilities have paid dividends in terms of recruiting.
Dropping to FCS doesn't make any sense. The MW tv deal sucks, bit it is still much better than FCS. Also dropping a league for basketball makes little sense as well. It will kill the already hurting budget.

Yeah. So im not quite getting the argument that we aren't getting the recruits to commit in the conference.
Sancez recruited decently well on one side of the ball. Arroyo looks to be more balanced. Who knows if Arroyo will be a good enough coach to put it all together, but I woukd say the new facilities have paid dividends in terms of recruiting.
Dropping to FCS doesn't make any sense. The MW tv deal sucks, bit it is still much better than FCS. Also dropping a league for basketball makes little sense as well. It will kill the already hurting budget.

They would have to find another league/conference like the one with Long Beach State. And go basketball, baseball and Olympic sports. I don't think they could get into the one with St. Mary's, Gonzaga etc.

You are correct, it makes zero sense to drop down. Either ride it out or kill the program. Half measures are useless.

They would have to find another league/conference like the one with Long Beach State. And go basketball, baseball and Olympic sports. I don't think they could get into the one with St. Mary's, Gonzaga etc.
World in which UNLV goes FCS: WAC when they reinstate football with 5 Texas schools, SUU, and Dixie St.

World in which UNLV goes FCS: WAC when they reinstate football with 5 Texas schools, SUU, and Dixie St.

It could happen, but with reduced crowd sizes, and similar travel costs, the program would likely hemorrhage more money than it currently does.

I personally can't see it as a viable option..

I love Rebel football, but I would lose just about all interest if they went that route.

20k is a bad look in a 60k seat stadium. 10k or less even worse. Would likely force them back to Sam Boyd. They already had trouble getting people out there for games with the likes of SDSU and Fresno. Nobody is making that trek for Dixie I don't think.

The MWC is not a conference where you need 4 & 5 star players to compete. SJSU just went undefeated in the MWC with no 4 or 5 star players on their roster (and they've only gotten one 4 star commit since 2002).

UNLV has a mandate to attract P5 opponents to play in Las Vegas (written into the stadium joint use agreement). No P5 teams will travel to an FCS school.

Better days are ahead for UNLV football. I know we've all heard that before, but now the deck is actually stacked in the Rebels' favor.

Reactions: RebelMan5000
If unlv shows any strength in football, they are set up for a P5 invite as one of largest tv markets without a P5 school close to it and a top stadium. FCS would be dum move even though Unlv has been terrible in football. I went to North Dakota State, they would kill Unlv in football but have no shot at P5 as small market, Unlv has every chance to be a power in BB and FB

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT