ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV at Ark St

Mojo702

Lottery Pick
Feb 2, 2004
Book has the Rebels as 7.5 pt underdogs and the total 68.

Shootout or blowout?

-7.5 was the opening line, currently at -8.5 and 70 over/under.

Give me the Rebels for the Upset Win 38-35.

I thought I was done talking about our lack of a passing game but since Sanchez brought it up I am back on it. He is quoted as saying “Can we kind of impose our will a little bit and be able to run the football? Now to do that we’ve got to be functional in the passing game and we need a higher completion percentage and make some big plays in the passing game,”

They have a very capable and physical defense and only allowed Alabama 278 yds on 44 carries. So it might be a little overly optimistic to think we will do as much damage as Alabama did in the run game. Now Armani doesn’t need to go 30-42 with 3 td’s but it would sure be nice to see something like 15-22 for 175yds & 2 td’s

I thought I was done talking about our lack of a passing game but since Sanchez brought it up I am back on it. He is quoted as saying “Can we kind of impose our will a little bit and be able to run the football? Now to do that we’ve got to be functional in the passing game and we need a higher completion percentage and make some big plays in the passing game,”

They have a very capable and physical defense and only allowed Alabama 278 yds on 44 carries. So it might be a little overly optimistic to think we will do as much damage as Alabama did in the run game. Now Armani doesn’t need to go 30-42 with 3 td’s but it would sure be nice to see something like 15-22 for 175yds & 2 td’s
I really expected the D to be really weak, either just a habit, or not knowing what Skipper was going to do... but it’s been solid enough so far. And I knew the passing game wasn’t a strength and running would be.... but man, we don’t have to hit home runs through the air, we just need enough to keep things honest. Simple passes, high percentage passes... mix in some downfield stuff. It really isn’t a playcalling or routes or even drops (have been some)... Armani simply has to step up and make the ordinary plays through the air, not extraordinary.

You can bet Ark State is going to throw everything at our run game.

I really expected the D to be really weak, either just a habit, or not knowing what Skipper was going to do... but it’s been solid enough so far. And I knew the passing game wasn’t a strength and running would be.... but man, we don’t have to hit home runs through the air, we just need enough to keep things honest. Simple passes, high percentage passes... mix in some downfield stuff. It really isn’t a playcalling or routes or even drops (have been some)... Armani simply has to step up and make the ordinary plays through the air, not extraordinary.

You can bet Ark State is going to throw everything at our run game.

Oh I agree. Stop the run and it is gut check time. Having said that....I beleive if we are forced to pass they will pay.....And the run is back.

For UNLV TO win, the short game need to be implemented.

I felt like we should of passed more the first two games, Armani just doesn't look comfortable in the pocket and those were the games to try and solidify his game in my opinion before this weeks test. That said though I agree with Joe, as long as Armani is average at best and completes at a high percentage we have a solid shot at pulling off the upset.

I wonder how much Coach Sanchez held back on the offense for the last two games so that Arkansas State wouldn't know what to prepare for when we play them.

I felt like we should of passed more the first two games, Armani just doesn't look comfortable in the pocket and those were the games to try and solidify his game in my opinion before this weeks test. That said though I agree with Joe, as long as Armani is average at best and completes at a high percentage we have a solid shot at pulling off the upset.

I know his numbers were not great, but I thought AR looked very comfortable week 1 against SC. Most of his passes were on point, just no separation and a few drops from the receivers. I’m looking forward to him having to manage a competitive game. Didn’t have to do that the last couple.

Rebels have a good chance to win but will have to be much better than last week with field goals and the passing game. With as good as UNLV runs the ball, and teams gearing up to stop the run, the passing game should be available with lots of 1 on 1 coverage which the receivers should be able to exploit.

The Rebels will still run the ball well this weekend, especially with the triple threat set when Campbell and Thomas are in at the same time. I've mentioned it before but I love that set up.

I know his numbers were not great, but I thought AR looked very comfortable week 1 against SC. Most of his passes were on point, just no separation and a few drops from the receivers. I’m looking forward to him having to manage a competitive game. Didn’t have to do that the last couple.

I thought AR looked pretty good in the pocket week one, against an aggressive rush with really tight coverage. He tried to make some tough throws, many were catchable, and came away without a pick.

He has it in him, but I agree that it would be nice to see more easy stuff. Quick outs, catch and run type stuff. Help him get more comfortable.

To quote every Star Wars movie ever: I've got a bad feeling about this.
You have plenty of reasons to. This is the type of game that UNLV has been outclassed in for much of our recent history. I am hoping that we are turning a corner, but it's kind of a fooled me once, shame on you, twice, shame on me situation.

I've been to every UNLV game this year and we can run the ball on anyone. Alabama chose to pass against ASU and pretty much imposed their will. IF, and that's a big IF, Armani has poise in the pocket, UNLV will win. UNLV has the receiving corps which will give ASU and the MW fits BUT that is all contingent on Armani throwing on time and on target.
As for ASU, they have a 4 year starter who is prone to throw some dangerous balls. Pass defense will be tested but I think Skipper will have some wrinkles for the game.
UNLV gets the outright win 45-31 and they are off to their best start in a while and head into the bye week feeling pretty good about themselves.

And I knew the passing game wasn’t a strength and running would be.... but man, we don’t have to hit home runs through the air, we just need enough to keep things honest. Simple passes, high percentage passes... mix in some downfield stuff. It really isn’t a playcalling or routes or even drops (have been some)... Armani simply has to step up and make the ordinary plays through the air, not extraordinary.
I had a thought about our passing game and wanted to present it here. Tell me your thoughts.

Bottom line: Armani is not an accurate passer.

Joe and others have said things like (I want to see easy passes; high percentage passes; just hit the 7-yard out route; etc.). I think that's easier said than done for Armani. IMO, these types of passes require a lot more accuracy than a long throw down the middle or sideline. If you're going to throw the out route, you have to pick your spot, lead your man, and there is little room for error. Armani's biggest successes passing the ball have been on deep throws down the middle. While those throws aren't "easy" they are more about arm strength than accuracy. A receiver can adjust his speed, make a slight change to his trajectory, or whatever else it takes to make the catch.

Coach Sanchez has specifically said that the good thing about having Armani in year 3 (RS sophomore) is that not only does Armani know the system better, but the coaches know him better. They know his strengths and weaknesses. He has a huge arm. He can chuck it down the field, and when it connects, you can have some huge plays. But he's going to be very hit-and-miss with the "routine" throws that top QBs make look so simple.

If you don't believe me... think back to the Fresno State game last year. We started Stanton and we ate up FSU with short pass plays. At the time, I thought "why don't we see this with Armani..." but I think I've come to the conclusion that it is not that Cotton doesn't have those plays in his arsenal... and those plays may even be called from time to time with Armani. But I think these coaches know that in the long run, we would have too many incompletions/turnovers for the short passing game to be a feasible option. So we pound the run game, be creative in using Armani on the ground, take some shots down field, let Armani hit some TEs wide open in the flats, and hope for the best.

And who knows, with us playing some defense this year... maybe it's enough to get us where we want to be... for now.

I've been to every UNLV game this year and we can run the ball on anyone. Alabama chose to pass against ASU and pretty much imposed their will. IF, and that's a big IF, Armani has poise in the pocket, UNLV will win. UNLV has the receiving corps which will give ASU and the MW fits BUT that is all contingent on Armani throwing on time and on target.
As for ASU, they have a 4 year starter who is prone to throw some dangerous balls. Pass defense will be tested but I think Skipper will have some wrinkles for the game.
UNLV gets the outright win 45-31 and they are off to their best start in a while and head into the bye week feeling pretty good about themselves.
I agree 100%. And it doesnt have to be some long sideline passes either. Just short, ding, dong passes to RB and WR on the interiors will keep the defense honest. Then keep the drives alive with the runs...

Reactions: 1rebelfan1
I had a thought about our passing game and wanted to present it here. Tell me your thoughts.

Bottom line: Armani is not an accurate passer.

Joe and others have said things like (I want to see easy passes; high percentage passes; just hit the 7-yard out route; etc.). I think that's easier said than done for Armani. IMO, these types of passes require a lot more accuracy than a long throw down the middle or sideline. If you're going to throw the out route, you have to pick your spot, lead your man, and there is little room for error. Armani's biggest successes passing the ball have been on deep throws down the middle. While those throws aren't "easy" they are more about arm strength than accuracy. A receiver can adjust his speed, make a slight change to his trajectory, or whatever else it takes to make the catch.

Coach Sanchez has specifically said that the good thing about having Armani in year 3 (RS sophomore) is that not only does Armani know the system better, but the coaches know him better. They know his strengths and weaknesses. He has a huge arm. He can chuck it down the field, and when it connects, you can have some huge plays. But he's going to be very hit-and-miss with the "routine" throws that top QBs make look so simple.

If you don't believe me... think back to the Fresno State game last year. We started Stanton and we ate up FSU with short pass plays. At the time, I thought "why don't we see this with Armani..." but I think I've come to the conclusion that it is not that Cotton doesn't have those plays in his arsenal... and those plays may even be called from time to time with Armani. But I think these coaches know that in the long run, we would have too many incompletions/turnovers for the short passing game to be a feasible option. So we pound the run game, be creative in using Armani on the ground, take some shots down field, let Armani hit some TEs wide open in the flats, and hope for the best.

And who knows, with us playing some defense this year... maybe it's enough to get us where we want to be... for now.

I disagree at least a bit.

We've seen Armani put the ball into some pretty tight windows. Right in the money 2 guys draped over them across the middle, He floated a nice ball over the in the flat at USC (that was dropped). He has made tougher throws than we have seen in a UNLV uniform since maybe, Jon Denton?

Where I think he struggles is timing routes and going through his progressions. That's why we didn't see it much last year. He struggles at reading the D at the line, then reading it again post snap, making a quick decision, then making a quick throw.

That stuff should get better with practice. Those "easy throws" are completion % boosters, and I think it had led to his bad numbers in that regard.

I think he can be accurate, and has proven do to do so, he just need to be better making quick reads.

Stanton was better at that stuff because he was a Senior. This is a part of the QB's development that can be the hardest. Hell, Stanton struggled with it the year before as a junior.

Reactions: RebelBuzz
This is a game UNLV always loses. We dont win many games period, but have to be 0-100 in the last 100 pivitol games which this is. Hoping this year is different.
Historically, yeah, agreed.

But I think that’s more the way fans see it and it’s just accepted as “the way it is”. I mean, if you step back and REALLY think about it, it’s very illogical to think that last season, two seasons ago, six seasons ago, two decades ago have any ability to tell us what’s going to happen next. I suppose over a coaching tenure, it makes more sense. But long haul, it’s senseless. It’s almost superstitions, which I do adhere to, but can readily admit they are really foolish.

But for the same reasons as you, I can’t wrap my brain around winning this one. Try as I might, I have a hard time forgetting the patterns. If I really set that aside, I think we will battle well, but probably come up short, within the spread. It’s the first near level field this season and it’s on the road.

I think they will try to stop lex not the entire running backs, I say Charles Williams gets a break out game and our defense will hold up til 3rd. Hopefully, by that time we already racked up enough points to co rain Arkansas st. UNLV 42- Arkansas st. 36

But for the same reasons as you, I can’t wrap my brain around winning this one.

I don't think Ark St will come close to shutting down the running game... I think play calling of UNLV offense may, but here's my concern and why I have a hard time looking at this as "we got this one" ...

In the last two weeks, UNLV's defense has benefited greatly from inept passing games combined with bad game plans. Two QBs in two weeks who are better runners than passers (nothing new to us), combined two OCs who have called for passes and been let down by errant passes and dropped balls. I think the UNLV defense does seem much better prepared for passing game than in recent years, but I think for the first time this season in a potentially winnable game (I withhold USC), we match up with a team which has a capable passing game. That's what scares me... UNLV offense won't struggle to put up points, but I can see the defense getting cut up in this game.

Flip side of that is the potential for UNLV to sustain long drives on offense and hold onto the ball. An offense with few possessions is an offense likely not in rhythm. I would love to see UNLV run for 375, pass for 125 and have 40 mins TOP in a single-digit win, one that never got out of hand (force them to stick with the gameplan and stay focused).

Reactions: khokhol8
I disagree at least a bit.

We've seen Armani put the ball into some pretty tight windows. Right in the money 2 guys draped over them across the middle, He floated a nice ball over the in the flat at USC (that was dropped). He has made tougher throws than we have seen in a UNLV uniform since maybe, Jon Denton?
You’re right, he’s definitely had some nice throws. The strike to Keys against USC comes to mind. His pass to Woods against UNM last year to help get us the win was great. He’s had others.

I guess I just see these as the outliers rather than the norm. This is more harsh than I mean it, but a broken watch is right twice a day...

I guess I just mean that the “easy”/“routine” throws are not so easy if accuracy is not your strong suit. Hitting a guy on a slant or out route is different than chucking it up there and letting your wideout run under it.

Can you coach accuracy? I honestly don’t know the answer to that.

If you can’t, it makes a lot of sense to use Rogers’ elite running ability, give him some easy dump throws to TEs/RBs, rely on your stud senior RB, and take some shots down the field.

Greetings. Arkansas State fan here. Looking at the forecast for tomorrow, it looks to be a wet one. Just curious as to how you think to that will factor in since we were discussing that topic on one of our forums?

Reactions: Sam-I-am
It's a turf field, so it shouldn't affect the running game. Balls may be slick for throwing, but accuracy is not our thing, anyway.
ASU 41-UNLV 35

First 7 minutes looks like typical Rebel Football to me. Sanchez Fertitta need to turn it up.

After that opening drive we seem to have settled down on defense. Another stop and score would make me a lot more comfortable about the game, but overall I like how were playing so far sans a few plays here and there.

This announcer needs to back to broadcast journalism 101 amd stop screaming into the mic

This announcer needs to back to broadcast journalism 101 amd stop screaming into the mic
I am gonna put that on the sound guy. They don’t have them eq’d very good and they should put a compressor on the mics to limit the volume to a certain level.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT