ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV +14.5 AT VANDY

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
Early line UNLV is +14.5 to 1-4 Vanderbilt.

We all know about what was essentially a bowl or bust ultimatum made by the AD.

But who knows whats actually going on behind the scenes.

With bowl hopes quickly fading Coach Sanchez has to check off a couple boxes if he hopes to save his job if he can't reach bowl eligibility. He needs some on field progress to point to..

1) Win over a ranked team. Not likely now. Boise may have been his best only shot/only shot this season. Only other chance to even face a ranked team might be SDSU or Hawaii depending how the next few weeks go.

2) Get win over P5 school. Only shot left is Vandy..

3)At least get to 5 wins to show improvement over last year. Still possible but time is getting short. Would need to go 4-3 down the stretch.

4) Beat Reno again. Winning record vs your rival always helps...But likely not enough by itself.

Personally I think he has to get to 6. But With UNLV you never know.

Last edited:
Reactions: RebelinWA
14.5 seems fair. A month ago I had this one circled as a potential upset. This isn't a good Vanderbilt team but UNLV hasn't shown they can keep it within 2 scores of anybody let alone a bottom feeder SEC team. Vandy has a 6 point win vs NIU and they lost by 18 to a bad Purdue team that was beaten by UNR. As you said, A P5 win would look nice for CTS. Especially considering UNLV's last P5 win was back in 2008. I'd love to see that 11 year streak end on Saturday but I wouldn't put my money on it.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
14.5 seems fair. A month ago I had this one circled as a potential upset. This isn't a good Vanderbilt team but UNLV hasn't shown they can keep it within 2 scores of anybody let alone a bottom feeder SEC team. Vandy has a 6 point win vs NIU and they lost by 18 to a bad Purdue team that was beaten by UNR. As you said, A P5 win would look nice for CTS. Especially considering UNLV's last P5 win was back in 2008. I'd love to see that 11 year streak end on Saturday but I wouldn't put my money on it.

I think much like Menzies there will be a small contingency of people regardless of results that will defend Sanchez and say he deserves another season.

Personally I think its already been decided barring a miracle. But in the event he were to make a late run and get to say 5-7, he needs this one bad to even make it a discussion about being retained.

I think much like Menzies there will be a small contingency of people regardless of results that will defend Sanchez and say he deserves another season.

Personally I think its already been decided barring a miracle. But in the event he were to make a late run and get to say 5-7, he needs this one bad to even make it a discussion about being retained.
I'd be amazed if a coach hasn't already been penciled in. It may not work out that way but I think she has her mind made up on Sanchez and someone on the close in radar.

I'd be amazed if a coach hasn't already been penciled in. It may not work out that way but I think she has her mind made up on Sanchez and someone on the close in radar.

Very possible.

There are some younger assistants out there that fit Desiree's 'Otz' model in what she says she is looking for in a coach. I think they are within reach of UNLV's budget.

A number are West Coast guys, some have familiarity with the conference. They've had quick career trajectories. Doesn't mean they are on her radar or even being looked at. Just that they make sense fiscally.

If/when UNLV falls out of bowl contention, we'll start a thread. People run with that type of stuff, it starts popping up on Twitter. No need to start speculative noise while the guy is still fighting for his job. Seems unfair in a way..

The 'Why don't they get Urban Meyer!' Posts will be fun though.

Last edited:
Reactions: RebelinWA and NSU67
Just watched the Monday Press Conference and CTS will be starting Oblad this Saturday vs Vandy regardless of Armani’s health. I for one am expecting a big step forward with our offense.

He brought up 3 crucial 3’rd downs the Rebs botched, one was a botched hand off (CTS absolutely lit into CW after that one at the game), the high snap that KO had to jump for and one CTS said was a bad play call.

I have a feeling UNLV may come home with a W.

Just watched the Monday Press Conference and CTS will be starting Oblad this Saturday vs Vandy regardless of Armani’s health. I for one am expecting a big step forward with our offense.

He brought up 3 crucial 3’rd downs the Rebs botched, one was a botched hand off (CTS absolutely lit into CW after that one at the game), the high snap that KO had to jump for and one CTS said was a bad play call.

I have a feeling UNLV may come home with a W.

Its a game of inches and minimizing mistakes.

Boise probably sat down watched tape today and saw similar miscues on their end. Plays where execution was poor and they missed oppurtunites. Missed an interception or a tackle or a block.

There were plays UNLV missed that could have kept drives alive and kept them in the game, there were plays Boise missed that could have turned it into a blowout. Its all relative. Boise coached mentioned the same type stuff in their postgame presser that Sanchez did.

Vandy is really bad this year (pot kettle black) A lot of that has to do with having played #s 3 and 5 Georgia and LSU. Regardless they are not good defensively or offensively though.

If UNLV is going to get the offense right this season it has to be this weekend.

Early returns on Oblad are mixed. Offense has scored 3 TDs in six quarters of football since he's taken over. None of the scores have been when the games have been within reach. Down 24 points is the closest margin he's lead a scoring drive.

Sanchez is right though, they need to get the run game going. They've given up on it way to early in games. If they can get Chuck going early, it would take a ton of pressure off Oblad. If not, we'll see similar results the rest of the year.

I think the Rebs could steal one this week. But I wouldn't lay any money on it.

Respect you keeping the faith though..

Talking about point spreads the Rebels made ESPN's BAD BEAT$ for being on the way to cover the 24.5 spread with a minute remaining Only to get back doored by Boise! Smh

45 - 15 Vandy. We dont stand a chance. Did you see that offense last saturday? That was like the 15 HOV lanes empty and desolete.

45 - 15 Vandy. We dont stand a chance. Did you see that offense last saturday? That was like the 15 HOV lanes empty and desolete.

I think it will be a little closer. If..

They get the run game going.

And they can't give up on it early. As long as the score is close. Run the ball.

The result of this Vandy game will give some insight into how the rest of the season plays out and raises some questions.

If Oblad plays well and the Rebels win, what does Sanchez do at QB when Armani is 100%?

If Oblad plays well but Rebels lose, does it give Sanchez an 'out' to go back to Armani?

Obviously to keep any type of Bowl hopes alive (I know, I know) Sanchez needs this game bad.

I also think he needs this win to have any type of ammunition in keeping his job if the Rebs were to fall short, like 5-7. A P5 scalp even if it is a lowly Vanderbilt team helps his cause a little.

I know the consensus is that he is gone if there is no bowl this year. Even with the ADs ultimatum, this is UNLV, who knows what goes on behind the scenes.

Sanchez needs something to point to as progress. Would a late season rally where they finish 5-7 and beat Vandy and Reno be enough?

I doubt it. I don't think it should be, but you never know.

Last edited:
Easy, If we win with Oblad and they look the best on offense all year doing so (even against that defense) then he sticks with Oblad. Maybe throw in some Armani for certain situations, special packages. But I say it would be 90% Oblad.

The real question, and more likely, what happens when we are out of contention? Get the young guy experience, go back to Armani? Try some of the younger/other guys?

Easy, If we win with Oblad and they look the best on offense all year doing so (even against that defense) then he sticks with Oblad. Maybe throw in some Armani for certain situations, special packages. But I say it would be 90% Oblad.

The real question, and more likely, what happens when we are out of contention? Get the young guy experience, go back to Armani? Try some of the younger/other guys?

If they fall out of bowl contention, my guess is he goes back to Armani to finish the season.

You can appear in four games now and still retain RS. So we could see some younger guys play. Although with the bowl or bust ultimatum he has little incentive to see what he has for next year.

You would think it would be easy, but didn't Stanton have a couple decent starts and they went back to Armani?

Its hard to say.

Gilliam didn't exactly light it up last year but coming off a road win vs SDSU he basically went right back to Armani after Gilliam got a series or two in Hawaii game...

Early line UNLV is +14.5 to 1-4 Vanderbilt.

We all know about what was essentially a bowl or bust ultimatum made by the AD.

But who knows whats actually going on behind the scenes.

With bowl hopes quickly fading Coach Sanchez has to check off a couple boxes if he hopes to save his job if he can't reach bowl eligibility. He needs some on field progress to point to..

1) Win over a ranked team. Not likely now. Boise may have been his best only shot/only shot this season. Only other chance to even face a ranked team might be SDSU or Hawaii depending how the next few weeks go.

2) Get win over P5 school. Only shot left is Vandy..

3)At least get to 5 wins to show improvement over last year. Still possible but time is getting short. Would need to go 4-3 down the stretch.

4) Beat Reno again. Winning record vs your rival always helps...But likely not enough by itself.

Personally I think he has to get to 6. But With UNLV you never know.

LOL at 1-4, that is an awfully optimistic outlook to still think CTS could get to a bowl game...have you not watched the games ??

LOL at 1-4, that is an awfully optimistic outlook to still think CTS could get to a bowl game...have you not watched the games ??

Attended every game for 20 years.

Maybe you missed the context.

I listed things he would likely have to check off to have any argument to keep his job if he failed to reach bowl eligibility. Because like Menzies, there will likely be some saying he deserves more time. I disagree.

I then said 'I still think he has to reach 6'. I probably should have been more specific and said: I believe the only way to save his job should be getting bowl eligible. I don't think anything less should save his job under any circumstances.

I think its pretty clear to anybody watching he would be hard pressed to win four games this year much less six.

Last edited:
I don't think there are many staunch Sanchez supporters at this point. Other than maybe some Gorman homers and the Fertittas.

If they are, they are not very vocal on Rebel Net

Tony does no how to talk football. Just not coach at this level. If we don't make a splash with the next coach, I may have to root for my kids school Texas A & M. I can only take so much disappointment. Seeing 10,000 fans in the new stadium will be to much for me...Sorry boys and girls.

I have been a Rebel Faithful since the first season. There were some good seasons over the years. But, this is sick.

I don't think there are many staunch Sanchez supporters at this point. Other than maybe some Gorman homers and the Fertittas.

Not many at all. A couple on social media.

Maybe some booster folks.

Not enough to matter the way this is trending.

I really had High hopes for Tony until last year. He should have been replaced then.

Had to keep him.

Needed that $$$.

It was ultimately right call.

Get the facility done and paid for. Give him this year to show he could turn it around.

If he did, great, you could probably extend him at a relatively low price.

If not, it took a year off buyout costs. And you potentially gain some momentum/interests with the next hire heading into new stadium.

Let's be honest, what was another losing season to a school with a rich history of losing seasons.

Reactions: RebNReno
Had to keep him.

Needed that $$$.

It was ultimately right call.

Get the facility done and paid for. Give him this year to show he could turn it around.

If he did, great, you could probably extend him at a relatively low price.

If not, it took a year off buyout costs. And you potentially gain some momentum/interests with the next hire heading into new stadium.

Let's be honest, what was another losing season to a school with a rich history of losing seasons.

Agreed- He should have been fired last year but some people would have complained that it was too early to pull the plug. 5 years is a fair opportunity turn a program around and after 5 straight losing seasons most everyone knows a change is needed. The bowl ultimatum was given and it was fair expectation. We shouldn't be moving the goalposts at this point. Bowl or Bust.

Agreed- He should have been fired last year but some people would have complained that it was too early to pull the plug. 5 years is a fair opportunity turn a program around and after 5 straight losing seasons most everyone knows a change is needed. The bowl ultimatum was given and it was fair expectation. We shouldn't be moving the goalposts at this point. Bowl or Bust.

Exactly.

Hiccups are expected in year three not year four when the roster has been nearly flipped and you have your guys.

I really liked the first three years. I thought the 3-4-5 win progression was encouraging.

They just missed bowl eligibility in year three.

But some of the same issues remained last year. 4 blowout losses in conference. Two of them at home. Big lead vs Air Force, a team not built to come from behind squandered.

Gave up 50, 50, 48, 59 and 41 in conference games. 50 to UNM at home. 48 to Fresno at home. A team you beat the previous season. 50 on the road to SJSU.

There were a lot of warning signs that the SDSU, Hawaii and Reno games glossed over..

I agree. The expectation was set and it should remain.

This being UNLV you never know.

He has a shot at bowl eligibility until there is a 7 in the loss column. But the margin for error is basically nil now.

I still like Tony and would like to keep him around the program definitely not as head coach. Something more with like pr I think he would be great or like head recruiter he is obviously a decent salesman type.

I still like Tony and would like to keep him around the program definitely not as head coach. Something more with like pr I think he would be great or like head recruiter he is obviously a decent salesman type.

Makes for an awkward situation.

Can't think of another example of it off the top of my head.

If he doesn't remain here, he has other avenues.

I think you will see him catch on somewhere as a position coach/recruiting coordinator.

He's a young guy, this is a tough job for anybody.

I think he'll eventually get another shot down the road, but will have to work his way up the more traditional way. What he did at Gorman was noticed by similar private HS with lots of money. He could go back to that as well.

Reactions: tomrut
Las year was a total crash and burn, and the only thing that saved his ass was a strong finish at the end of the season. Unfortunately this year went back to last year prior to the final three games!

I was really up on him the first two years.

Now I think he needs to go.

He was not able to change the losing mentality that hangs on this program like stink on a skunk. .

In year three we were threatening for a spot in MWC championship game, now the rest of the conference has left us in the dust.

Last year killed it for me. I can't remember a more favorable schedule, and we absolutely pooped the bed.

UNM and SJSU games, no excuse.

Maybe its good that we crapped out last year, if we got to 6 wins it would have been fools gold. We couldn't even do that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT