ADVERTISEMENT

University of New Mexico, Las Vegas?

RebNReno

NBA Draft Pick
Oct 17, 2015
Sam Boyd Stadium live on- The Lobo’s are moving to Las Vegas now. Will they have to spend their whole season here if they want to play football? Sounds like they may have to play every game on the road this season. What a mess New Mexico!

“In response to the state’s recent spike in COVID-19 cases that forced UNM to cancel its Oct. 24 season opener and move Saturday’s home opener on the road to San Jose, Calif., the school announced Friday afternoon that the entire football program will temporarily relocate to Las Vegas, Nev. Athletic director Eddie Nuñez said the Lobos will return from Saturday’s game at San Jose State immediately after the game and test everyone within the traveling party for COVID-19 on Sunday morning. By Sunday afternoon, the entire team and its support staff will board busses and head to the University of Nevada-Las Vegas, where the players will stay in on-campus housing and conduct all practices for at least the next week at Sam Boyd Stadium, the former home of UNLV’s football team.”

I have a good friend that played RB at Tulane, his roommate was Matt Forte, when Katrina hit New Orleans the team was forced to leave. First they went to Jackson Mississippi but the storm took a turn and headed that direction so they jumped back on the buses and headed west to Dallas ending up on the SMU campus. They stayed there for a few weeks and then when the semester at SMU was starting they had to leave there because there wasnt room. They ended up at LaTech and moved in to a dorm that had been condemned and was scheduled to be torn down. They stayed there for the semester and played all of their games on the road.

Last edited:
I have a good friend that played RB at Tulane, his roommate was Matt Forte, when Katrina hit New Orleans the team was forced to leave. First they went to Jackson Mississippi but the storm took a turn and headed that direction so they jumped back on the bus and headed west to Dallas ending up on the SMU campus. They stayed there for a few weeks and then when the semester at SMU was starting they had to leave there because there wasnt room. They ended up at LaTech and moved in to a dorm that had been condemned and was scheduled to be torn down. They stayed there for the semester and played all of their games on the road.

Sounds like a pretty terrible semester/season for those guys. Especially considering how many of those Tulane kids were locals who had their families lives ruined by Katrina. An old condemned dorm was the best they could find? Yuck
I didn’t think UNLV had dorm space available but I guess it’s good UNLV can make some money off of empty rooms and SBS is still sitting there doing nothing for us. If UNM has to play every game on the road because of quarantine rules Vegas isn’t a bad option for them set up for 2 months.

Reactions: LocoRebel
I think it’s cool that we are letting them use our stadium.

ive Always respected the lobos..

I think it’s cool that we are letting them use our stadium.

ive Always respected the lobos..
When we played at UNM and beat them in a shootout in like... 2012 or 13, I remember thinking about how nice and respectful their fans were. Similar in basketball except they, like our fans, have pride in their basketball program and thus sometimes are hot headed. Good football folks,, those who are left.

When we played at UNM and beat them in a shootout in like... 2012 or 13, I remember thinking about how nice and respectful their fans were. Similar in basketball except they, like our fans, have pride in their basketball program and thus sometimes are hot headed. Good football folks,, those who are left.

By far the best fanbase in the MWC. Almost loyal to a fault.

Snake!
c01_jd_22oct_snake2-630x421.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT