ADVERTISEMENT

Ty Flanagan

willlevi

NBA Draft Pick
May 21, 2007
nevadaprepreport.rivals.com
There will be a lot of hindsight a year or two from now but I still find it hard to believe the staff didn't make a beeline to Mojave to take a look at Flanagan. Flanagan has been a flat out beast with outstanding balance, speed, strength and burst as a back.
Maliek Broady, Andrew Peterson or Al Lake all have sub 4.6 speed in the 40 and outstanding physical skills as well. You also still have Arbor View's Herman Gray as well as Gaels top back Russell Booze to also consider in this class too.

Next year Keith Whitley and walkon JC back George Naufahu are the clear cut top backs on the roster after combining to average 65 yards per game last season. That said Shaq Murray-Lawrence was clearly in another class of backs when he was available to play.
Xzaviar Campbell averaged 70 yards per game a a high school senior and Lexington Thomas had a 62 yards per game average. With a staff looking to run the ball, they really need to hit it big at running back or they will be very one dimensional.
Cormier being a Houston native out of Channelview, I'm sure he want to help the local kids from his area get ahead but hopefully the two kids he choose are just diamond in the ruff. Texas is a deep state for running backs and you would think there were more productive players available or at least more explosive sleepers to consider beyond the Houston area.

Something I did notice, the last time Cotton was an OC was in 2006 at Iowa State. That was also the year Sanford had the breakdown over the replay when he felt Straiten came down in bound for the win over the Cyclones but it landed as a loss. The lack of a quality run game doomed the Cyclone team even though they had a quality quarterback in Brett Meyer.

Its early but Tony Sanchez's first season is a make or break year. The "New Era" slogan is a one time deal if he doesn't win or at least gain local support.
He won at Bishop Gorman because he always had at least one 4-star caliber player, ridiculous facilities, a loaded class of kids already in the program and a huge high school line that never had to play both way. They were always the favorite to win even in big games because they were the more complete team.
Its a different beast at UNLV and you should be recruiting for physical talent rather than developing a pipeline.

Ty Flanagan video

you really should get off your soapbox for a minute and let them do their jobs before you go all anal. why do some of the talent here have such huge numbers? cause they play no defenses. they are going against other crappy teams. in time this town will get better. adding randall as a hc with the ability to bring in "recruits" to play. lets get the city level up and then worry about who we take

12 area backs in Houston ran for 2000 yards or more last year and over 100 topped 1000 yards. I'm surprised they didn't seek out more productive players or at least guys that have track speed.
Not saying they aren't good player. Just that as running backs, you usually would like them to be more productive or blazers you can develop.

District 20-6A Leaders

District 18-6A Leaders

District 23-5A Leaders
This post was edited on 1/29 7:21 PM by willlevi

Houston High School Stat Leaders

Sounds great Will. Good thing they have all the other D1 offers to fall back on since UNLV is so inept to not offer. I'm sure Hauck is in town for SDSU taking advantage of the new staffs oversight.

Campbell rushed for 16 touchdowns on the ground as a Senior. He also rushed for over 1000 yards as a junior. He averaged nearly 7 yards per carry as well.

Lexington Thomas ran sub 4.5 according to another site (4.40) he had nearly 700 yards rushing on 95 carries and 197 yards receiving on only 7 catches. He basically accounted for 800 yards of offense on 100 touches and 12 total TDs.

Originally posted by ScoresMan:
So this is what it feels like to be on the pro-Rice crowd
Try supporting every head coach of all the sports just because UNLV is the only team you truly support. Argue that Hauck was building something here like I always did. I dare you!

Wow, I need to go over on the hoops confidential board and do some apologizing.

My post was Sarcasm. Will is very very knowledgeable, and a value to us all here, but he has a bit of an axe to grind with the current HC and his former schools tactics in "recruiting".

Probably not constructive for me to address it here anymore. My apologies to everyone. Take Care of yourselves.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT