ADVERTISEMENT

TJ Otzelberger?

Horrible idea for what we need.

Looks like my money will stay with the Knights and Raiders.

Meh, I'll give him a chance. With the toxic nature of the UNLV HC job, the fact we could be losing more than half the team, the fact the previous coach had 2 years to prove himself, I'm not surprised we didn't get the flashy, home run hire we were dreaming of. If he is our guy I hope he's got an incredibly strong resolve and stays away from social media except when it comes to recruiting. The disinterest might actually work better for the program if it allows him to build the team without all the external noise and interference...supposing the program survives the lean days to come.

Definitely on the same plateau as a Gruden and Gallant when it comes to name recognition

Meh, I'll give him a chance. With the toxic nature of the UNLV HC job, the fact we could be losing more than half the team, the fact the previous coach had 2 years to prove himself, I'm not surprised we didn't get the flashy, home run hire we were dreaming of. If he is our guy I hope he's got an incredibly strong resolve and stays away from social media except when it comes to recruiting. The disinterest might actually work better for the program if it allows him to build the team without all the external noise and interference...supposing the program survives the lean days to come.

Re-recruiting the current Rebels in the transfer portal will determine his initial success or failure.

Be interesting to see who he gets for his staff. Be nice if LSU blows up and we could get Greg Heiar. His first task is to get some of the players to return and then will need to recruit. He has time to land a decent class but it will be tough. However, with the MWC the way it is a good coach should finish top 5 no excuses.

Be interesting to see who he gets for his staff. Be nice if LSU blows up and we could get Greg Heiar. His first task is to get some of the players to return and then will need to recruit. He has time to land a decent class but it will be tough. However, with the MWC the way it is a good coach should finish top 5 no excuses.

He's supposed to have a reputation as a good recruiter. I'm hoping he's a LOT more than just a recruiter. I'm really not expecting a great class this year. The caliber of guys he was targeting at South Dakota St. is not going to be the same caliber of players he's going to have to go after if he wants to compete in the MWC, even as bad as the MWC is now. We really need to retain players like Hardy, Juiston, and Ntambwe if we want to compete next year.

This is from the Las Vegas Sun on March 18, 2019:

"According to sources, UNLV has enough pledged money from program boosters to pay the next coach between $1.7 million and $2.8 million annually. That aligns with Reed-Francois’s statement during Friday’s press conference, when she said she had secured enough funding to make the next Runnin’ Rebels head coach the highest-paid coach in the Mountain West and among the highest paid in the Group of 5 conferences."

I thought they were going for a bigger name, more established coach. Isn't hiring a coach that was dominating a small, very poor conference, what they did last time? Maybe it works out long term. I don't see more fans going to games in the short term as a result of this hire.

On a positive note, the hire was made quickly so there is some time to recruit a little. I hope he can keep the aforementioned
Hardy, Juiston, and Ntambwe
and also Mbacke

I wont be surprised if payers bolt - based on what I can tell from the link below, his style/personality and MM are very different and it would be a difficult transition.

Yeah not a good hire. What happened to Thad Matta? Rick Pitino? Steve Alford? C'mon.

Alford was my Plan Q if that means anything. I would've been happy with Leon Rice or even Chris Jans. I think Alford could've won big here(he won at New Mexico) even though he's a tool. I'll give Coach O a chance though. Seeing how many players he can convince to stay might give us some insight as to how this hire will go.

Big disappointment. Maybe he'll at least try to be Paul Westhead and lose games in an entertaining way.

I heard that his teams averaged 81 ppg in his 3 years there and 85 ppg last season so it does look like his teams play entertaining basketball.

Otzelberger likes to play a style that fans and players will like. In his seasons as the Jackrabbits’ coach, his teams averaged nearly 82 points per game and he is a big fan of the three-pointer. Since his time as the head man, SDSU has averaged at least nine threes per game, and have shot over 40% from beyond the arc. This past season, their 40.8% three-point percentage was third-best in the country and their 50.1% field goal percentage was also the third best.

https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/03...j-otzelberger-is-the-right-man-for-the-job/4/

But do we have the shooters to play that style?

Yeah not a good hire. What happened to Thad Matta? Rick Pitino? Steve Alford? C'mon.

I didn’t want Alford. He struggled too much at UCLA and his teams never did much in the tournament. Pitino wasn’t coming here and it would be awkward for him to replace Menzies.

I would have been shocked if the school hired someone that people are actually impressed with. People weren’t too excited about Beard when he was hired fwiw.

The one thing I don’t understand is all the hype and excitement around Mike Miller. What the **** has he done?

The one thing I don’t understand is all the hype and excitement around Mike Miller. What the **** has he done?

Same. Probably just a booster who bumped into him when his brother was an assistant for Rice.

Just some thoughts from an Iowa State fan that has meet Coach Otz on multiple occasions and has followed his career closely:
-Coach Otz is a networker. He is tremendous at connecting with people and building lasting relationships. It is what has allowed him to be such an effective recruiter.

-His recruiting at Iowa State was tremendous. He started here under McDermott and was retained under Hoiberg because Fred knew the value of what Otz brought to the table. McDermott offered Otz a spot at Creighton when he left, but Otz remained in Ames instead. Otz was the lead recruiter on at least 7 future NBA players and over 15 all Big 12 honorees in Ames.

-His recruiting at SDSU was solid. David Jenkins is a stud. Caleb Grill was possibly the highest rated recruit to ever sign with SDSU. But perhaps the most impressive recruiting job by any coach in the country last year was Otz convincing Daum to play his final season in Brookings. Daum would have been able to grad transfer anywhere he had wanted in the country and opted to stay put because of his love of Otz as a coach. Daum could have gone to Duke, Kentucky, whomever had he chose to.

-I think TJ will do a very good job re-recruiting the current UNLV players to stay in Vegas. He will make it a very tough decision for them to leave at the very least.

-His offensive sets are influenced heavily by Hoiberg's offense. Spreading the floor, moving the ball and lots of three point shots.

-TJ is humble. He will find a staff that complements his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses.

I realize he is not the slam dunk huge name Rebel fans hoped for, but I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

LISTEN - LISTEN - THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. WE HAVE TO DO OUR JOB AND BE OUR BEST.

Just wanna be the first to call him Coach TJ Owfulburger

Actually, I don't have an opinion yet on our new coach other than from the video that was posted (thanks for that!). He looks like he can be intense, but the video seems like he is very much a players coach, like MM. That I dont like so much. I was hoping for tough love - or just tough, like Frank Martin.

Still, we'll see if we can win.

One more thing - heard he didn't have the greatest of defenses. That has to change to be competive the way UNLV fans expect to be.

Reactions: XFactorRebel
From the AD:

When we began our national search for a new leader of Runnin' Rebel Basketball, we sought a hard-working, laser-focused head coach who personifies our core values; who knows what success looks like; who is passionately committed to winning championships; who will develop and inspire our young men; and who is at ease being the face of one of our marquee programs.

We found our coach.

We are thrilled to announce T.J. Otzelberger as our Runnin' Rebels Head Coach and newest member of the Rebel family and Las Vegas community.

Coach Otzelberger quickly ascended the college coaching ranks, most recently serving as head coach at South Dakota State, leading them to two NCAA Tournaments and one NIT appearance and two conference championships, while earning Coach of the Year honors over his three years at the helm. Among his stops prior to South Dakota State, Coach Otzelberger served as an assistant coach at Washington and Iowa State.

NCAA Tournaments, player development, and academic success are the cornerstones of Coach Otzelberger's leadership, and the 2019-20 season marks the dawn of a new era of preeminence for Runnin' Rebel Basketball.

Our loyal season ticket holders are the heartbeat of our program and the strength of the Runnin' Rebels and our shared success begins with your support.

Thank you for your support of UNLV Athletics.

Go Rebels!

Desiree Reed-Francois
Director of UNLV Athletics

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT